OT (LAMP) Darwin Awards 2005

Mediaman

Was she in the cheerleader uniform at the time of the incident?  If so, punitive damages go way up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

210353[/snapback]

no - i figured from the attempt at trying to do a handstand... he friend said that she heard the girl say: "Watch to see what I can still do"..

leads me to believe at one point in her life she was doing handstands on a regular basis...

now she's 23, probably gained about 25 pounds in college, but a few beers make her think she can still do the handstand she could when she was 17 and 105 pounds... she tries it, flips over, and somehow dies falling 10 feet. I mean, Jesus, she fell from the 2nd story! that's 10 feet!

You'd think simply bracing your self with your arms (which would probably break) would stop you from landing right on your neck...

You forgot that they can sue the railing manufacturer. The railing was at designed at built at an inadequet and tempting height. It it went to the ceiling she wouldn't have thought to do this and wouldn't have been able to get on the railing.

They also should have anticipated this and the railing should have had a safety when loaded with a force of over 80 pounds, so the railing would have grabbed HER, so she could not fall.

Lastly, they should have had at least three safety signs.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/18/balcony.death.ap/index.html

NORTH FORT MYERS, Florida (AP) -- A woman fell to her death while trying to do a handstand on the railing of a second-floor hotel balcony, sheriff's officials said.

Molly Jerman, 23, of Cape Coral died Sunday. While attempting a handstand, she toppled over and dropped to the hotel patio, according to the Lee County sheriff's department.

Just before she fell, she had called out to a friend, "Watch to see what I can still do," a police report said. Foul play is not believed to be involved, officials said.

209921[/snapback]

Back in 1982 or 83, a drunk guy did that on the Rainbow bridge which goes over the Niagara Gorge. Personally, I think his 4 friends should have been charged for letting him try it! However, they were all drunk.