"My son's enduring gift"

Steve O

My friend Dan Conrad wrote the guest essay below that appeared in Saturday November 9th's Democrat and Chronicle. After reading it I checked to make sure the "I wish to make an anatomical gift" block on the back of my license was checked. It was not, apparently it had been neglected when renewing my license two years ago. It is checked now. Anyways below is the essay, hope you check your license after reading it.

"My son's enduring gift

Three and a half years ago, my son, Scott Conrad, overdosed on drugs. I had no indication he was so involved in Drugs.

We just spent the day together at the St. Patrick's Day parade downtown. He told me that day that I was his best friend and that he loved me. That was the last conversation we had, and that night he overdosed. That was on a Saturday night, and he went on life support.

My family hoped and prayed he would get better, but he didn't. On Monday, we were told his breathing was getting weaker, and the odds of him recovering was almost zero.

I asked the doctor giving my family the reports about organ donation, and she immediately put me in contact with the doctor in charge of organ donations. I did not know how my ex-wife would react to giving our son's organs away. I talked to my son, my daughter and her husband, and none of them were sure either.

I made the move to bring her down to see the doctor in charge of organ donation and had him ask her about Scott's organs. My nervousness turned to joy when she was happy and excited to do this. I have never been more proud of her.

Because of Scott's organs, four people are alive today One of the persons who got an organ was from Rochester, and he is like one of our family now.

I miss my son tremendously and think about him daily, but the thought that four people are alive today because of him is so comforting. Scott was always such a giving person, and now he keeps on giving in four people.

I hope no one ever has to go through the sadness my family went through, but we can all be organ donors. It is so easy now, because all we have to do is put a check mark on our license when we renew it.

Wouldn't it be great if after our death we could keep on giving?"

This is a very touchy subject, one I know all too well. I am a transplant recipient. There are a few of us here and there on TBD. It is very personal and should be each person's decision. All I ask is that the requests, if not decided well in advance, are done with great caution. Worst thing anyone can do is start in on a grieving family member who just lost thier loved one. This has been shown (here on TBD in the past as well) to not go over well, and undermines the entire process.

I encourage everyone to find out for themselves what the best course of action is for them and their family...