is henry a top 5 back?

when loooking at the facts, i would argue that henry is the fourth best back overall - in the afc east!! And even then i'm not sure he's better than lamont jordan...

in the afc alone, these RBs are clearly better than him:

dillon

curtis martin

mcgahee

bettis (even as a part time player)

fred taylor

edgerrin james

priest holmes

tomlinson

jamal lewis

by my count, he's the 10th best RB in the conference.

in the nfc, these players are better:

portis

westbrook (i love this guy)

julius jones (hasn't proven as much as TH obviously, but he looks damn good)

tiki barber

ahman green

the new guy for detroit (same story as julius jones - looks like he's going to be a hell of a player)

warrick dunn (much better receiver and is more productive as a runner than a lot of people realize)

deshaun foster when healthy

shaun alexander

deuce mcallister

This puts henry - who has had three leg injuries that have cost him time in 4 seasons - at #20 overall. A later 3rd rounder for a guy who's dumber than the proverbial box of rocks and with some real wear and tear? I'd get on my knees and offer praise to donohoe. you can get a quality LB, safety, or guard with a 3rd round pick.

L.T.

Priest

J. Lewis

T. Barber

F. Taylor

A. Green

E. James

C. Portis

in that order.

he might get better rushing yards in a season, but he will not be better than any of those listed.

209743[/snapback]

where's curtis martin? he was the best back in the league the past year, and not just because he won the rushing title - he's a great receiver, a great blocker, and never fumbles.

when loooking at the facts, i would argue that henry is the fourth best back overall - in the afc east!!  And even then i'm not sure he's better than lamont jordan...

dillon

curtis martin

mcgahee

fred taylor

edgerrin james

priest holmes

tomlinson

jamal lewis

portis

tiki barber

ahman green

the new guy for detroit (same story as julius jones - looks like he's going to be a hell of a player)

warrick dunn (much better receiver and is more productive as a runner than a lot of people realize)

shaun alexander

deuce mcallister

This puts henry - who has had three leg injuries that have cost him time in 4 seasons - at #20 overall. A later 3rd rounder for a guy who's dumber than the proverbial box of rocks and with some real wear and tear?  I'd get on my knees and offer praise to donohoe.  you can get a quality LB, safety, or guard with a 3rd round pick.

209734[/snapback]

Agreed. And you aren't even counting guys like Larry Johnson or LaMont Jordon, who have much better upsides than Travis.

where's curtis martin? he was the best back in the league the past year, and not just because he won the rushing title - he's a great receiver, a great blocker, and never fumbles.

209750[/snapback]

good point, but i think his age drops him down the list. he might be the league leader, but will he do that again next year? or the year after??

but really i just forgot about him. i dont know why. but when you ask who is the best RB in the NFL, his name does not pop in my head...

when loooking at the facts, i would argue that henry is the fourth best back overall - in the afc east!!  And even then i'm not sure he's better than lamont jordan...

dillon

curtis martin

mcgahee

fred taylor

edgerrin james

priest holmes

tomlinson

jamal lewis

portis

tiki barber

ahman green

shaun alexander

deuce mcallister

This puts henry - who has had three leg injuries that have cost him time in 4 seasons - at #20 overall. A later 3rd rounder for a guy who's dumber than the proverbial box of rocks and with some real wear and tear?  I'd get on my knees and offer praise to donohoe.  you can get a quality LB, safety, or guard with a 3rd round pick.

209734[/snapback]

The month of August called and they want their argument back

dillon

curtis martin

mcgahee

fred taylor

edgerrin james

priest holmes

tomlinson

jamal lewis

portis

tiki barber

ahman green

shaun alexander

deuce mcallister

209734[/snapback]

You can probably remove Kevin Jones (Detroit) and Julius Jones from this list, since they have yet to *really* prove themselves in the way Henry did (read: actual playing time over a few years). Henry has been in the league for 4 years and his numbers were steadily getting better, so I'd put him above those two for now. I might even put him ahead of Warrick Dunn (remember...he's in an offense run by Michael Vick, which makes him better - I don't see Dunn as a guy that defenses must account for on every play) and Deshaun Foster (average RB that had a good year behind Stephen Davis and an OL that was playing lights out in 2003). On the flip side, a healthy Stephen Davis is probably better than Henry.

Overall Henry is an above-average RB. What doesn't make him good is his lack of breakway speed, size, and inability to pass-block (how many times did he not pick up a blitzer in 2003?). So, no - he's not a top 5 RB in the league right now.

Having said, I don't think he's saying exactly that. If he was given the opportunity, he *would* be a top 5 RB. Basically, he's trying to sell himself and he's not doing a good job of it. Leave that to your agent, Travis.

You can probably remove Kevin Jones (Detroit) and Julius Jones from this list, since they have yet to *really* prove themselves in the way Henry did (read: actual playing time over a few years). Henry has been in the league for 4 years and his numbers were steadily getting better, so I'd put him above those two for now. I might even put him ahead of Warrick Dunn (remember...he's in an offense run by Michael Vick, which makes him better - I don't see Dunn as a guy that defenses must account for on every play) and Deshaun Foster (average RB that had a good year behind Stephen Davis and an OL that was playing lights out in 2003). On the flip side, a healthy Stephen Davis is probably better than Henry.

Overall Henry is an above-average RB. What doesn't make him good is his lack of breakway speed, size, and inability to pass-block (how many times did he not pick up a blitzer in 2003?). So, no - he's not a top 5 RB in the league right now.

Having said, I don't think he's saying exactly that. If he was given the opportunity, he *would* be a top 5 RB. Basically, he's trying to sell himself and he's not doing a good job of it. Leave that to your agent, Travis.

209948[/snapback]

some good points, although i have a couple of quibbles. i think foster is really, really good and will prove that to a lot of people next year. i also think that henry didn't improve from year to year: middling rookie season cut short by injury followed by strong second season (plus lots of fumbles) and then followed by a less good but still solid third year (100 fewer yards than 2002, 0.6 fewer ypc) and finally followed by a bad season in which he was horrific at the little things, below average as a runner (especially at crunch time), and then finally dinged up.