Bills Need A Power Running Game

Rob's House

Yes, we have great backs - CJ is the most explosive back in the league and Fred is a great all around back and team leader, but we don't have anyone to act as a bull dozer and plow through the line for that extra yard on the goal line. Sadly, we haven't had that since Willis McGahee left town (and don't even think to say Lynch, he didn't run with effective power until his second year in Seattle), which not coincidentally was the last time we had a winning season. If we had a power running game, with a bowling ball style runner or a big bodied straight line power back, we'd have won today and we'd have won against Cinci too.

Totally agree, Rob.

2 total yards on any of those 5 runs (3 on the goal line against the Bengals, and 2 today, before the fateful Pick 6), and this is probably a completely different season.

Would a FB dive really be a bad thing in that situation?

I don't know that Frank Summers is that guy (although it'd be nice to see us try it at least once) but I'm thinking of someone more along the lines of Mike Tolbert, Peyton Hillis, McGahee, or Alstott type guy. I was high on Jalston Fowler (AL), but he's been injured and his status after recovery remains to be seen. I'd also like a Colt Lyerla (OR) style player - a TE/FB/HB who is versatile, big, strong, tough, and aggressive - He seems to have gone off the tracks, but I'd still take a flier on him a la Da'Rick.

And I think our O-line is good, but a steam roller LG would help here too.

Yes, we have great backs - CJ is the most explosive back in the league and Fred is a great all around back and team leader, but we don't have anyone to act as a bull dozer and plow through the line for that extra yard on the goal line. Sadly, we haven't had that since Willis McGahee left town (and don't even think to say Lynch, he didn't run with effective power until his second year in Seattle), which not coincidentally was the last time we had a winning season. If we had a power running game, with a bowling ball style runner or a big bodied straight line power back, we'd have won today and we'd have won against Cinci too.

We have Frank who was a runner before being a FB.

Also Hillis was available and now the G-men are 2-0 since he joined the team and has been instrumental in their two wins.

I think the Bills are too predictable with their runs. On the 2 yard line they bring FredEx in and give him the ball on consecutive plays. They did that with the Bengals too. Change it up.

I also don't like seeing the QB run anymore. Sorry, don't like it. Too risky and too important a position.

I don't know that Frank Summers is that guy (although it'd be nice to see us try it at least once) but I'm thinking of someone more along the lines of Mike Tolbert, Peyton Hillis, McGahee, or Alstott type guy. I was high on Jalston Fowler (AL), but he's been injured and his status after recovery remains to be seen. I'd also like a Colt Lyerla (OR) style player - a TE/FB/HB who is versatile, big, strong, tough, and aggressive - He seems to have gone off the tracks, but I'd still take a flier on him a la Da'Rick.

And I think our O-line is good, but a steam roller LG would help here too.

All good points but Lyerla is not a runner, but would take a shot at him in the latter rounds as a TE.

Storm Johnson from UCF is a hard nose tough runner and explosive, a Frank Gore type who would be ideal for Marrone's run first system.

We have Frank who was a runner before being a FB.

Also Hillis was available and now the G-men are 2-0 since he joined the team and has been instrumental in their two wins.

But wait...I was told we could never consider Hillis when he was released because he was a royal a-hole in Cleveland. So there's that :)