Opponents records

OGTEleven

It seems to be conventional wisdom that the Bills have had a tough schedule so far and that it gets easier as the season moves on. I decided to take a look at the records of our opponents at the beginning and end of this season's schedule and their records so far.

I did three levels. The first was the teams' records when all games were counted. Level 2 is the records when you strip out their game against the Bills and level 3 is when you strip out the games against either the Bills or teams the Bills have played this season (I did this because when the Jets play the Pats, their record after the game will be 1-1 no matter what happens). I included the Chiefs in the first section because they will not play again before the game against us, so their record won't change.

Level 1: 43-25 .632

Level 2: 38-22 .633

Level 3: 26-10 .722

This tells me that the teams we have played so far have been good (level 1) in general, good when not playing us (level 2), and very good when playing the part of the league we haven't played against. The level 3 of .722 is amazing as only 7 teams in the NFL have a better percentage (and we have played 4 of them) and this is an aggregate record for our whole schedule.

It gets easier when we play the rest of our schedule.

Level 1 17-35 .327

Level 2: 15-34 .384 (Jets, Pats, dolphins are the only change from level 1)

Level 3: 8-17 .320

will this ease be enough to help a playoff push? Personally I think 3-5 is too big a hole to dig out of but the schedule is one thing in our favor (for a change).

Interesting analysis, OGT. Thank you.

I think many of us suspected the difficulty of our schedule and that it gets easier in the second half, but it is still good to see the numbers.

As far as the playoffs, personally, if the Bills choose to run the table in the 2nd half of the season I have no problem with that.

:thumbsup:

This is awesome! Nice work!

Instinctively, I knew we have gone through the gauntlet so to speak and it did get much easier, but these numbers are much more extreme that I thought. I love the methodology too.

I'm hopeful that we get to at least 8-8 this year. That would mean a pretty good rest of the way, but I think it's doable and it starts this coming weekend against KC. Unfortunately I don't think that gets us into the playoffs, but you never know. There's really no clear cut 6th seed emerging. As of right now, I think SD would have it.

This is awesome! Nice work!

Instinctively, I knew we have gone through the gauntlet so to speak and it did get much easier, but these numbers are much more extreme that I thought. I love the methodology too.

I'm hopeful that we get to at least 8-8 this year. That would mean a pretty good rest of the way, but I think it's doable and it starts this coming weekend against KC. Unfortunately I don't think that gets us into the playoffs, but you never know. There's really no clear cut 6th seed emerging. As of right now, I think SD would have it.

I think either KC or Denver will be a wild card, and on the way there, they will be dealing SD 3 or 4 losses. I don't think the 6th seed will be the Chargers (or the Bills)

Edited by Marauder'sMicro