49ers will NOT interview Jerry Gray

Good for us, but seriously, what is up with NFL teams not hiring minority coaches? I know I'm playing the race card here, but it's not like the 49ers are going to hire the next Lombardi; they'll probably sign the next dumb !@#$ retread cracker like Norv "Pizza Face" Turner or...Gregg Williams.

Good for us, but seriously, what is up with NFL teams not hiring minority coaches? I know I'm playing the race card here, but it's not like the 49ers are going to hire the next Lombardi; they'll probably sign the next dumb !@#$ retread cracker like Norv "Pizza Face" Turner or...Gregg Williams.

208673[/snapback]

Because they knew that Dennis Erickson would produce far better results than the likes of someone like a Herm Edwards or Tony Dungy.

It is pretty rediculous that someone who failed previously like Ericson (I think he was 8-8 once in his previous round as an HC) gets the job while other HCs with a record of achieving the playoffs like Art Shell can't get hired. Its hard to label some owner a racist (unless they Marge Schott who not only has a clear record of saying the wrong thing, but appaently had various swastika patches and "momentos" among her goods at home). However, given the huge pool of African-American former players , the sad history of theBFL refusing for years to give A-As the job at QB, the record of winning and making theplayoffs achieved by the relatively few A-A coaches, and the even sorrier record at the Division 1A level in college there clearly i somethingrotten in Denmark with hiring AA HCs by the NFL.

I'm suprised Art Shell hasn't had a job since Oakland...guess we just kicked their ass that bad.  :doh:

208704[/snapback]

He wasn't very good with clock management, but i agree that it is surprising.

Also, it seems like a lock that the browns are going to hire Romeo Crennel, which I am a full supporter of.

208673[/snapback]

I agree with you in terms of the race issue, but not wrt Gray.

His numbers were very good, but imo he is still growing into being able to handle the DC position.

Too many 3rd and long conversions for a defense with this much talent. He has poise and I think he will improve, but were I an owner, I would not hire him as head coach. Probably someday, but not yet.

Jmo.

I don't think this is Jerry Gray's year. He's still young and needs more experience IMO. If he has another good year with the Defense next year I'd expect him to get a job in 2007 or 08. I'd be more afraid of him leaving for a college job than an NFL HC job.

I can understand why a team wouldn't interview Jerry Gray. Look at the talent he has to work with. When a guy like Aaron Schobel, who could probably start for 2/3rds of the teams in the NFL, is only the 7th or 8th best player on the D, good defense is expected of Gray. He's going to have to continue building that resume for a while longer.

I can understand why a team wouldn't interview Jerry Gray. Look at the talent he has to work with. When a guy like Aaron Schobel, who could probably start for 2/3rds of the teams in the NFL, is only the 7th or 8th best player on the D, good defense is expected of Gray. He's going to have to continue building that resume for a while longer.

OK Brandon... please let me know which 20 teams Schobel would start for. He's a RDE. I can only come up with Cleveland, KC, SD, Denver, & Jax in the AFC. In the NFC, Niners, Seattle, Rams. That ain't even a third. So, who are the rest? and remember... there are a few teams that had a starting RDE or two on their IR.

Schobel is an average DE at best.... I can't think of any LTs thatlose sleep knowing they're going to have to face him.

208673[/snapback]

Whats the quota? There is a fair amount now isnt there? Colts,Bengals,Jets,Cards. Talk about racism? Whats with the "retread cracker" termanology?

OK Brandon... please let me know which 20 teams Schobel would start for. He's a RDE. I can only come up with Cleveland, KC, SD, Denver, & Jax in the AFC.  In the NFC, Niners, Seattle, Rams. That ain't even a third.  So, who are the rest?  and remember... there are a few teams that had a starting RDE or two on their IR.

Schobel is an average DE at best.... I can't think of any LTs thatlose sleep knowing they're going to have to face him.

208889[/snapback]

If Schobel is average, wouldn't that imply that he could start on about half the teams in the league? Basically, all I did was call Schobel a somewhat above average player. I didn't say he was Jevon Kearse's long lost twin.

Because they knew that Dennis Erickson would produce far better results than the likes of someone like a Herm Edwards or Tony Dungy.

It is pretty rediculous that someone who failed previously like Ericson (I think he was 8-8 once in his previous round as an HC) gets the job while other HCs with a record of achieving the playoffs like Art Shell can't get hired.  Its hard to label some owner a racist (unless they Marge Schott who not only has a clear record of saying the wrong thing, but appaently had various swastika patches and  "momentos" among her goods at home). However, given the huge pool of African-American former players , the sad history of theBFL refusing for years to give A-As the job at QB, the record of winning and making theplayoffs achieved by the relatively few A-A coaches, and the even sorrier record at the Division 1A level in college there clearly i somethingrotten in Denmark with hiring AA HCs by the NFL.

208700[/snapback]

You've been spoonfed this junk by a mass media eager to create controversy. It seems to me that at most positions, you really have to be a top-notch sprinter (for your size) to have success in the NFL. Because the best sprinters tend to be black, you won't see very many white WRs, CBs, RBs, etc. That advantage isn't as relevant at the QB position, because the QB wins games with his mind, not his arm or his legs. The racial composition of QBs resembles that of the general population; except that you see too few Asians and Latinos. If for some reason you feel the need to complain about racial discrimination at the QB position, complain about that!

As for the hiring of head coaching candidates, not all head coaches have NFL playing experience. Romanowski pointed out that he'd played for three head coaches without NFL playing experience, and those coaches combined for seven SB appearances. Also, some positions (like QB) are better at weeding out less-than-intelligent players than other positions. Leon Lett had a long and successful career, despite having a less than average intelligence level. Few white athletes can pull a Leon Lett and use superior athleticism to compensate for mental shortcomings, because few white athletes have superior athleticism to begin with.

The few white players who actually make it in the NFL are usually a lot like Mike Mularkey: tough, smart, disciplined, hard-working. They had to be these things to survive, because they didn't have the athleticism to compensate for shortcomings in any other area. There are black athletes in the NFL who meet this description as well. But if you look just at the raw numbers of black athletes in the NFL; you're lumping together guys like Jerry Gray with guys like Leon Lett. That's not an accurate way to assess the overall coaching potential that exists among black NFL players.

If you really want to build a case that discrimination is taking place, you'd have to look at the racial composition of the former NFL players who'd actually expressed an interest in coaching. Then you'd have to weed out any player who failed to show superior on-field preparation, or who was considered a locker room problem. If the results of that kind of study showed that black players were indeed being discriminated against when it came to coaching, you'd have a much stronger case than you do now.

People say that Romeo Crennel got a raw deal for having to wait so long, and that's true. They say that he's more deserving than a Dennis Erickson, and that's true as well. But Charlie Weis is at least as deserving a candidate as Crennel (look at the mockery he makes of our defense each time we play). Nobody sticks up for him, because he's white. Is the system unfair? Yes. But it's not an unfairness based on racism. It's because hiring is based on networking, on the good old boy system, and on whatever else results in having an Erickson be put ahead of a Crennel or a Weis.

>>>Whats with the "retread cracker" termanology?<<<

I missed that. You are right. Imo, that was a racist statement.

208954[/snapback]

Hey, not that im a thin skinned whiner. I think PC is totally out of control. What annoys me more than than the statement itself is the double standard. If I broke out the "N" word I would be banned out of here pretty quickly.

Hey, not that im a thin skinned whiner. I think PC is totally out of control. What annoys me more than than the statement itself is the double standard. If I broke out the "N" word I would be banned out of here pretty quickly.

209161[/snapback]

Have you ever seen my posts on the PPP board? I am not a liberal whiner either.

That said, there was no cause for a racist remark. It is not that I am bothered by it....I just really do wonder what the poster was trying to prove with that racial slur. :)

Maybe that he is an "open minded white liberal." :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Talk about racism? Whats with the "retread cracker" termanology?

208940[/snapback]

Because I hate all white people. They are an inferior race and deserve to be systematically eliminated from the face of this earth...... :)

You guys sometimes are so predictable with your tightwad replies. Now go watch an episode of Dave Chappelle and lighten up.

Good for us, but seriously, what is up with NFL teams not hiring minority coaches?

208673[/snapback]

Look at the owners. Old, rich, white males. Think they're the most tolerant, open-minded people in the world?

And to the people that think that a deficency of minority head coaches means that there obviously must be some inherent flaw in the minorities, I laugh at you.