QB Sneak

The QB sneak is so successful when a team needs a yard opr less I don't understand why the Bills did not use it more when they were in shoprt yardage situations this past season.

Look how many times the pats have Brady use the QB sneak.

The QB sneak has a very high rate of success, the Bills coaches should use it more

The QB sneak is so successful when a team needs a yard opr less I don't understand why the Bills did not use it more when they were in shoprt yardage situations this past season.

The QB sneak has a very high rate of success, the Bills coaches should use it more

208495[/snapback]

Not just a sneak, but going on "one-hut". I think you would catch defenses flat-footed if you snapped the ball right away once in a while, instead of dragging it out.

PTR

208495[/snapback]

The Bills lack a dominant center :doh:

I think the Bills got away from using the QB sneak (and run for that matter) under Kevin Killdrive and GW because they made the false assumption that because Bledsoe is a his best throwing in the pocket that he cannot roll out or run at all.

One of the best things for me to watch with Tom Clements running the O his year, is that he has utilized effectively running and QB sneaking with Bledsoe on occaision because it not only can work, but actually helps him and the OL out a lot in terms of dealing with blitz.

Some folks may be laughing at this, but stop for a minute and remember reality.

NO ONE shiould make the mistake of operating or thinking like Bledsoe is some re-incarnation of John Elway as a runner. He ain't. However, those who live their lives in the easy but false world of calling him a statue incapable of running the sneak or the draw limit themselves and the Bills O is you ran it like Kildrive.

In reality we had plays this season where:

1. Bledsoe rolled out right and hit Evans for a TD against SF and also rolled out and launched and hit several other passes (do you not remember his rolling out and completing this pass for a TD or do you simply deny reality).

2. Bledsoe ran several QB draw plays for 5+ yard pick-ups, particularly later in the season during the streak when we developed more control over implementation of our O (again do you not remember this or do you simply deny reality).

3. Bledsoe actually did a wonderful job faking the QB sneak when out TO took 3 Lindell points of the board (on a shockingly long FG for him actually) and when we ran the 4th and 1 play and the defenders were sucked to the OL to stop the QB sneak, Bledsoe pulled off a pretty neat turn and pitch to WM who sprinted the 30+ yards and dove for an made the endzone (you must remember this and I doubt anyone can deny it happened or deny that the Bledsoe had a key role in this successful play).

The answer to you question is that actually Bledsoe and Clements made very effective use of Bledsoe's limited mobility, the threat of the sneak and even use of the QB draw for positive yardage when Bledsoe made a pretty clear cut read on whether the safeties and/or LBs were commiting themselves to wide rushes to run the draw effectively.

Even with Bledsoe who is not at his best on the move, Clements has pretty clearly realized that this play can be used effectively (particularly on 2nd down with the rollout with firm order to Bledsoe that if the pass is covered at all then throw it OB rather than trying to use his extraordinary arm to wait and thread it in there and then we'll take another shot on 3rd down.

I think he Bills used the QB sneak and Bledsoe's limited mobility well during the winning streak.

First of all, you need more 3rd and inches to run the QB sneak, and early in the season we were faced quite a bit with 3rd and long, usually from our own undisciplined ineptitude (i.e. false starts, holding).

Second, we actually did run a couple, but to me the best was the one Fake mentions above; Bledsoe fakes the sneak, pulls back, hits McGahee...faked the whole world out.

i think we used it often on those "inches to go" plays. when he just pushes forward. its good.

but, no way in hell i want bledsoe to drop back and then do a QB sneek. hes no Vick.

208666[/snapback]

Because a player is no Vick (and nobody was last I checked) does this mean you would never ever never ever never ever run the QB sneak or draw?

Again, you need to run the sneak or the draw on occaision exactly because your QB is considered less mobile. Running it not only throws off the other team, but backs them off from making an all out commitment to the blitz.

Bledsoe should never be mistaked for a runner at all, but the hidebound declarations that he is a statue ignore the fact that he is very big physically and can reasonably be expected to take the hits on the sneak (heck he gets hit even harder at the initiative of the defender getting sacked).

Doing reads in the NFL can be a difficult thing, but reading whether the safeties are dropping back in a two deep to deal with Evans and Moulds and whether the LBs are going wide in their pass rush or whether the A gap or the B gap is the open one on a quick hitting QB run are among the easier reads to make.

Killdrive was a bad OC for falling into the pass-happy Drew is a statue trap of never using him to run the ball.

Yes, there's a big difference between a sneak and a draw for a QB.

However, I remember at least once-- maybe twice -- that we used the QB draw this year. Both times somewhat successfully.

Can't remember when though