Justin Rogers

RCOHEN13

Even though both of Flacco's TD passes came on passes in his direction, on 1st one to Brown who is 6'5 was doubled over middle by Rogers and Leonard who are both small in a jump ball situation, Rogers knew only chance of breaking up pass was trying to strip ball and came close. He was VERY solid in coverage ALL game and knew he would get picked on but was not getting beaten often at all and rebounded very nicely after worst game of career just 1 week ago.

All together, once or shall i say IF we get healthy in secondary, with Gilmore being a solid #1, and Mclovin showing this yr is very capable of being a starting CB as #2 and Aaron Williams showing he can be extremely versatile and succeed at either CB or SS which coming into yr, he looked totally lost at CB but played his butt off today and has to be in running for Defensive player of week, especially if NFL considers situation he came into and playing defending champs with top 3 corners out. Even tho he was to get burned on the bomb to Torrey Smith (on perfectly thrown ball and Smith being one of top deep threats in league) did NOT give up on play and got the tackle instead of it being a TD which resulted in FG, was a HUGE play. He plays till whistle (sometimes AFTER whistle with that dreadful late hit on 3 and long when ball was incomplete and well out of bounds on).

Our secondary, once we get at least Gilmore and Mclovin back (in my head Byrd has to be considered DONE as a Bill) cuz one thing this new regime REQUIRES is HEART... Williams definitely popped a shoulder on that play in 2nd quarter, I've suffered 6 dislocated shoulders in my life, and cringe every time i see a guy get a shoulder injury cuz i can literally FEEL IT! Came back in and gave 110% and left it all on the field. Jimmy Leonard has his shortcomings PUN intended but has knack for being around ball when its in middle of field. His biggest liability tho, is when teams go deep. He is late to get over and help out on deep balls which is huge weakness for us and an area Byrd excelled in.

If Byrd WERE to come back, man.... could this D look AMAZING.... With our front 7, Dareus IMO played BEST game of his career and yes i remember that Wash game but this was vs defending CHAMPS and was an absolute monster in middle and looked like the guy we drafted from 'Bama's D. Lawson has been our leading tackler and had a beatiful sack and has been excellent in coverage. Between him and Kiko, we actually have 2 LB's who not only can play the pass, but excel at it... Been a VERY long time since we had LB's that can do that. Kiko is playing like defensive ROY and mix of Moats and Bradham as other backer has been solid too. Carrington's injury wont really hurt us that much with Branch filling in admirably and was solid in Seattle.

That leaves the secondary... Once Gilmore is back which was stated as 4-6 weeks, i could see him being back in action after the mini bye we get after Cleveland game and Mclovin should either be back for Cleveland or at worst next game with us having the extra few days off between games. Robey has excelled in slot and dont see him giving that job back to Brooks when healthy. IF somehow, someway, Byrd gets on the field, he could be in a position to really exceed unlike in years past where team had no D. He can do what he is best at, being that CF and ball hawk, especially on the deep balls. With Williams nex to him (if they dont leave him at CB which i doubt) he could be a pro-bowl caliber SS. We not only would have a "good" secondary, we would have a DEEP secondary.

Rogers has shown he is definitely not capable of being a shutdown corner, not that anyone thought he would be. However, I really think he has shown he can be a serviceable NFL player and a #4 corner in league and the valuable playing time he;s amassed over 1st quarter of yr will only help him get better. In a league where so many teams spread you out, having 4 CB's that can play is a MUST... After Gilmore and Mclovin as top 2 and Roby in slot where he has been excellent and with Brooks on mend who would provide even more depth. And our depth at safety is excellent.

GO BILLS!!

I give him credit for being very mentally tough after last week. The coaches stuck with him because they looked deeper at the film to know his mistakes were correctable. It is rare that a player like that needs to cover a #1 WR but our situation called for it last week. Kudos to A. Williams to switch positions and come up huge for the team.

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Very good post. Couldn't agree more. When Gilmore and McKelvin come back we will be really scary on Defense. Gives Perrine a chance to throw some more exotic blitzes at the offenses because we all know that Gilmore might be the best player we have, not just on defense but the team. And don't get me started on Tyrd. He might be the 2nd best player we have after Gilmore and if he were to come back as well we WOULD have a very strong defensive backfield and deep as well. We could be 10 days from knowing that. They might all be back at once. Whose a praying man? Get you but to church this morning and light some candles or something.

Very good post. Couldn't agree more. When Gilmore and McKelvin come back we will be really scary on Defense. Gives Perrine a chance to throw some more exotic blitzes at the offenses because we all know that Gilmore might be the best player we have, not just on defense but the team. And don't get me started on Tyrd. He might be the 2nd best player we have after Gilmore and if he were to come back as well we WOULD have a very strong defensive backfield and deep as well. We could be 10 days from knowing that. They might all be back at once. Whose a praying man? Get you but to church this morning and light some candles or something.

I don't want to hijack this thread into another Byrd thread, but to your point, I was listening to WGR this morning and they seem convinced this guy will not play this year unless they should reach the playoffs or something where it benefits him in some way. I hope they are wrong, but I have a gut feeling. I sure wish he would join the team out there. His teammates are leaving it all on the field. Anyway - back to the guys who ARE playing.

I think he's a Falcon.

Also...On the 1st TD to Brown I only saw one replay during the game and I thought Brown had jammed Rogers in the helmet, so I went back and looked at it again this AM...It looked to me like Brown pretty blatantly stiff-armed Rogers to the helmet on his break creating the separation...I saw Rogers head snap back a bit...Watch the slow-mo replay at the end of the link...Brown extends his arm out to Rogers face mask then kind of pushes off...I don't think that is legal...But whatever...

Anyway...That's where the slight separation happened for sure...Not saying these things are called regularly, making an excuse, or anything like that...Just saying...Rogers had pretty decent coverage on that play, and I'm at least fairly certain there was an illegal hands to the face...A tiny little thing that allowed Brown to get that position... B-)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000252018/Brown-10-yard-TD