[closed]On CJ Spiller...

Wazzu Bill

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There really is no question that CJ's best game is playing in space. Yeah, maybe Chan knew a thing or two about offense after all.

Chan knew offense but didnt have a clue on D. The problem was Fitz not being able to finish games.

Losing Levitre is not helping matters. But I do admit Chan knew how to use C.J. more than Hackett does at this point.

You could "run" the plays faster. :ph34r:

Lol, I guess we could, but after even more 3 and outs our defense would be so beat up, it would be non existent. Yesterday was just the tip of the iceberg if the offense doesn't give the defense a little breathing time. Players get hurt when they are tired.

Standing in the shotgun and saying here is the ball now try and run up the middle seems to be Hackett's favorite play. Unfortunately that play is terrible and that's not the kind of back CJ is. They need to give him the ball on counters, pitches, end arounds, and screens. He needs to work in space and use his speed. It's pretty obvious to everyone besides Hackett apparently

Right

It pains me to say this, but Hacket would learn a lot by watching film on Chan's usage of RBs.

Right

We have a real problem at RB (among other areas). Spiller is not the guy and Jackson can't last forever.

Wrong

CJ is a dynamic playmaker when he gets the ball in space. He has rare ability there and good defenders look bad trying to tackle him. He is not physical however, and seems downright gunshy in traffic. He is also careless with how he holds the ball and puts it on the ground often enough that it seems opposing D's always hunt the football when pursuing him. This is clearly a point of emphasis from their D coordinators when they see his inattentiveness to ball security on film. He rarely escapes in traffic and they are mindful of guys being told to punch or get a helmet on the football. CJ needs to clean that up, but he doesn't look like he will ever be a true workhorse back or a threat between the tackles. Might just be a special weapon to line up in the slot, leak out to the flat etc. He's actually pretty bad as an inside runner, as he shies away from contact.

CJ is a dynamic playmaker when he gets the ball in space. He has rare ability there and good defenders look bad trying to tackle him. He is not physical however, and seems downright gunshy in traffic. He is also careless with how he holds the ball and puts it on the ground often enough that it seems opposing D's always hunt the football when pursuing him. This is clearly a point of emphasis from their D coordinators when they see his inattentiveness to ball security on film. He rarely escapes in traffic and they are mindful of guys being told to punch or get a helmet on the football. CJ needs to clean that up, but he doesn't look like he will ever be a true workhorse back or a threat between the tackles. Might just be a special weapon to line up in the slot, leak out to the flat etc. He's actually pretty bad as an inside runner, as he shies away from contact.

Yep, that's how I see him being used best. Freddy is an excellent RB between the tackles...someone who can just plow through and pick up a few yards even when there's a stacked box. We need CJ to be running more routes to the flat and right over the line like a TE. If we do this more often we should open up the box so when we want him to run up the middle he won't be met by 7 waiting defenders

After reading through many of the threads, it seems many fans are not happy with Spiller's performance.

While it has clearly not been stellar, I have been finding his opportunities slim. He is a dynamic player and can do many things on the football field - so why do we keep feeding it to him up the middle OVER AND OVER again.

Maybe I'm wrong. Admittedly I watch the games at a Seahawks sports bar so I can never get a great view of the Bills games. But from what I can gather, Hackett seems to think that if we just hand it off to him up the middle every time CJ will break free. What happened to the screens, the dump offs over the line, etc.? I've always thought those type of plays were Spiller's strong points.

That being said, I feel like the playbook we have seen so far lacks a lot of novelty. Why did we go deep 5+ times today on third down when Manuel wasn't even able to keep the ball in bounds? I have been way more unhappy with the play calling over the past 3 weeks than with Spiller.

Thoughts?

Gailey's offense was way more complicated and diverse than what they have now. Gailey was so creative in how he got his skill guys the ball. But we all hate Gailey so, yeah, he is gone. So we have a college coach running his no huddle offense. You get what you get. Hackett will unfortunately learn the pro game on the fly. And he will, on our dime. Gailey was an experienced, creative offensive mind with lousy players. He gained yards and scored points with guys either no longer in the league or riding the bench with other teams. Time we gave Gailey credit for the one thing he knew how to do... move the ball and score points.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Gailey's offense was way more complicated and diverse than what they have now. Gailey was so creative in how he got his skill guys the ball. But we all hate Gailey so, yeah, he is gone. So we have a college coach running his no huddle offense. You get what you get. Hackett will unfortunately learn the pro game on the fly. And he will, on our dime. Gailey was an experienced, creative offensive mind with lousy players. He gained yards and scored points with guys either no longer in the league or riding the bench with other teams. Time we gave Gailey credit for what he knew how to do... move the ball and score points.

Agree with you that Gailey was and is a great offensive scheme designer. His limitations were more in the areas of game day coaching and in game strategies and adjustments.

If Hackett doesn't figure out how to use CJ Spiller, the only potentially elite level player that we have on offense, he will be out of a job very soon.