A read option play with EJ, CJ, FJ all on the field.

boyst

It came up in the shoutbox, and I have thought about it a while and cannot understand why Hackett won't do it.

The lineup is simple.

QB EJ Manuel

WR S Johnson, R Woods

RB F Jackson, CJ Spiller

TE or WR Chandler or Graham

On short yardage plays you put Chandler on the field. You use him and Woods to make the strong side, SJ13 on the weak side. CJ and FJ are in the backfield with EJ under center.

Before the snap EJ can motion FJ to a bunch formation with Chandler and Woods, he can back off to shotgun, or he can send CJ to flanker aside SJ13.

- The bunch formation gives the read option to handoff to Spiller for a sweep or off tackle run. Or, he can keep it with SJ13 running his 10 yard cut back route to the sideline. Or, as EJ keeps it he can continue to roll out weakside and possible gain a few yards.

- The shotgun audible allows him to do a read option either way. Either way, FJ goes to the line to block headfirst. CJ would cross EJ going to the left faking the handoff...or taking it. FJ as his lead blocker or FJ as an extra blocker. CJ would be setting up a dump off route in space. Chandler running a seam route draws defenders back and if Spiller gets it, he blocks. Woods runs his butt off along the sideline.

- CJ going to flanker next to SJ13 creates a mismatch of great proportion. On 3rd and short EJ is going to have the option to keep it, or find the mismatched CJ Spiller running a 8 yard post.

Using Graham in place of lead in the heels Chandler we could have a similar set up, except having Robert Woods, TJ Graham and CJ Spiller on the same time is downright scary. SJ13 on the weakside in space is where he wants to be. FJackson is blocking like no ones business. Moving one of these guys in presnap motion is going to reveal the assignments. If CJ starts in the backfield to begin with you then shift or remove the MLB from the center of the defense. That could be a weakside handoff up the middle for Jackson who has been attacking the line heavily in recent weeks.

Either way, I expect Rex to unveil something unique for us on defense. He thinks a lot, he likes to create chaos, and he likes to be aggressive. I would not be surprised if we see an entirely different front. The DT's pushing the pocket back and occupying OL. The DE's containing primarily over collapsing the pocket. The MLB keyed on Spiller, and leaving the OLB's free to beat up on anyone in front of them. If I am Rex Ryan I am wearing a smile on my face on what I can do to this offense and a rookie QB.

So, that's how they draw 'em up in the Carolina dirt, eh?

Not sure if he'll use your play or formations, but I get the distinct impression Marrone is setting something up for the right time later in the year. That little toss reverse to Graham, for instance, has been used in consecutive games, both at around our own 20. Against the Panthers, it looked like their entire D pursued it and left side of the field was wide open. When his knee is better, EJ is gonna take off and run with the rock on that play.

GO BILLS!!!

I doubt the Bills have used the full play book yet. I also think the Bills are being smart keeping EJ mostly in the pocket. RGIII may not be the QB he had potential to be because they got him hurt quickly. I think you see EJ run 2-4 times per game just to make teams respect that part of his game. Outside of that I doubt he runs much.

What is better is he is big enough and strong enough to avoid sacks and has the arm strength to make plays when the design is crumbling.

Rothlesberger has this knack. I can see EJ doing it better.

I doubt the Bills have used the full play book yet. I also think the Bills are being smart keeping EJ mostly in the pocket. RGIII may not be the QB he had potential to be because they got him hurt quickly. I think you see EJ run 2-4 times per game just to make teams respect that part of his game. Outside of that I doubt he runs much.

What is better is he is big enough and strong enough to avoid sacks and has the arm strength to make plays when the design is crumbling.

Rothlesberger has this knack. I can see EJ doing it better.

I worry about him Culpeppering. Taking the hits, taking the hits, taking the hits...breaking. Roethlisberger is another breed. If ever I wanted a guy to come to Buffalo is was Findlay's QB - Ben Roethlisberger. The guy is the new Jim Kelly.