Def Coordinator & game strategy

WIDE LEFT

It's obvious a defensive coordinators main objective/strategy is to limit the other teams scoring, and holding a team to a field goal is always better than giving up a TD. I have to wonder whether defensive coordinators adjust this basic strategy to fit the changing game situations. A classic example is the Bills Monday night loss to Dallas, when Dallas had only one choice, to throw a quick sideline pass to get some yards and stop the clock, but our DC never adjusted to take that away, and worse yet, when questioned about it after the game did not seem to even understand the question.

I note this because as much as I like Mike Pettine, I have to question whether he really understood the game strategy at the end of Pats game. With the Pats driving and within (long) field goal range, I noted,when watching NFL game rewind, that he continued to play his safeties 15-20 yards off the line of scrimmage. Although its usually the case that giving up a field goal is preferable to giving up a TD, the opposite was true in this game situation. The correct strategy, based on that unique game situation, was to play the safeties up, take away the short pass, and force Brady to beat you with a long pass downfield. A quick TD at least gives you the ball back and a chance, conceding short passes is a slow death that never gives you a chance

It just appeared that our DC failed to appreciate in that unique game situation that giving up first downs was worse than giving up a long pass. He simply failed to adjust to the game situation. Disappointing.

In terms of coverage strategy, it's the corners that should have been playing closer to the LOS, not the safeties. That's insanity against a guy like Brady. Furthermore, why concede a quick TD at all? They were making defensive plays all game. The Patriots 23 was a far cry in the end than the average 46 points they've given up in the 4 games prior.