(OT) Another DirecTV question

JimBob2232

I currently have a stand alone TiVo unit. I was wondering if anyone knew how compatable these tivo brand units are with DirecTV. I know it was miserable with Digital cable, because you had to use the infared ports, etc.

Also, does directv come into the house on standard co-axial cable? or do they actually have to run special wiring?

I am going to be getting NFL ST. Best I can tell, right now you can get 4 months of the premium package free, free install, and I think a free DVR (via BB), if you sign up for NFL ST. Any other input would be appreciated

Thanks

I have Directv and TIVO and all that is required for installation is a screwdriver, a six pack and some coax cable. It's pretty straightforward. Directv is as simple as simple gets. You actually can use your existing cable lines as long as you connect them to a splitter. The splitter would receive the coax from the satellite dish and from there, you can run as many lines as the splitter will hold. If you're doing just a basic install, don't forget to have an addtional line available where the Tivo is going to be located so you can watch one show while recording another. I hope I answered your questions.

You'll want to sell your standalone TiVo because it's too expensive; with a DirecTV/TiVo combo unit, you pay $5/month for as many boxes as you have (1 box = $5, 100 boxes = $5). You're currently paying $12/month, unless you have a Lifetime subscription. If you do have a lifetime sub, sell it on eBay, and you'll get at least $200 for it. The DirecTiVo lets you record two shows at once, which is also a bonus over the standalone.

You may be able to use existing coax -- -you should use RG6-QS (quad-shielded), as it prevents loss over long runs. It's not entirely necessary, but is generally helpful.

I have Directv and TIVO and all that is required for installation is a screwdriver, a six pack and some coax cable. It's pretty straightforward. Directv is as simple as simple gets. You actually can use your existing cable lines as long as you connect them to a splitter. The splitter would receive the coax from the satellite dish and from there, you can run as many lines as the splitter will hold. If you're doing just a basic install, don't forget to have an addtional line available where the Tivo is going to be located so you can watch one show while recording another. I hope I answered your questions.

15659[/snapback]

You can NOT use a splitter for a sattelite signal. You can (and should) use a Multiswitch, but that's not the same thing. I have a 4x8 multiswitch - takes 4 inputs from the dish (you'll want a triple-LNB dish so that you can receive all of the programming, including HD for the future) and outputs to 8 different locations. They cost about $100, but you should get it for free with your new installation.

You'll probably want to run two runs of coax to EACH room in case you get a TiVo in the future. We have one in our bedroom and the living room. They're the same cost as a regular receiver, so why not?

CW

Great guys.  Thanks for your help.

One more quick question.

Can directv tivo system make its daily "phone call" over the directv satillite, or does it still need to be connected to a land line/intenet?

15683[/snapback]

Technically, it needs a phone line. However, the only thing the phone line does is send pay per view info, etc. The guide data and software updates are (mainly) downloaded via the sattelite. HOWEVER, after a month the TiVo will complain daily that it hasn't been able to phone home. You can ignore the message, but it's still annoying seeing it every day...

CW

Here's a question, where I'm living now, the guy has 3 sat boxes in the living room, each hooked up to it's own TV. Since we usually use at the most 2, is switching the 3rd unit with a TiVo unit a simple swap? What info would DirecTV need when ordering?

Here's a question, where I'm living now, the guy has 3 sat boxes in the living room, each hooked up to it's own TV. Since we usually use at the most 2, is switching the 3rd unit with a TiVo unit a simple swap? What info would DirecTV need when ordering?

15710[/snapback]

Yup, you'd just buy a DirecTiVo and remove two of the receivers. However, as you noted, you would only be able to watch TWO shows at one time, since each receiver can only output one show. But you'd be able to RECORD two shows on the TiVo while wathcing something on the standalone receiver. You could also RECORD two shows on the TiVo and watch a previously recorded show.

If you've been a customer with DirecTV for a year or two, call them up and ask them if they'll ship you a DirecTV/TiVo combo box for free. If the first line support balks at this, ask to talk to customer retention. You'll have to pay shipping (~$15), but otherwise it'll be free. You'll activate the TiVo, cancel the other two receivers and your cost will be exactly the same ($5 for the second receiver, $5 for TiVo vs $10 for the two receivers). Note that I wouldn't actually TELL them that you're going to cancel two receivers and replace it with a TiVo... Just in case. :devil:

CW

15710[/snapback]

I don't know the answer to your question, but you should keep great company.

I currently have a stand alone TiVo unit.  I was wondering if anyone knew how compatable these tivo brand units are with DirecTV.  I know it was miserable with Digital cable, because you had to use the infared ports, etc.

Also, does directv come into the house on standard co-axial cable? or do they actually have to run special wiring?

I am going to be getting NFL ST.  Best I can tell, right now you can get 4 months of the premium package free, free install, and I think a free DVR (via BB), if you sign up for NFL ST.  Any other input would be appreciated

Thanks

15655[/snapback]

I have a standalone Tivo (w/Lifetime Subscription) and DirectTV and it works fine. I must tell you that I did have a little trouble with one of the receivers we had, that it wasn't changing the channels properly, but swapped receivers and no issue. I just don't have a need for the DirectTV/Tivo unit right now.

I have a standalone Tivo (w/Lifetime Subscription) and DirectTV and it works fine.  I must tell you that I did have a little trouble with one of the receivers we had, that it wasn't changing the channels properly, but swapped receivers and no issue.  I just don't have a need for the DirectTV/Tivo unit right now.

15786[/snapback]

But you'd save money if you sold your current standalone box on eBay and got a DirecTV TiVo box instead... Plus, you'd be able to record two shows at the same time...

CW

Nor did I...but Best Buy is giving them away to new customers....so what the heck!

16031[/snapback]

I've said it before, and everyone who has one has concurred -- it will *literally* change your entire life.

If you're a family guy, you'll be able to eat EVERY meal with your family (I havn't eaten dinner in front of the TV since we got ours).

If you're a sports nut, you can watch TWO NFL games at the same time!

If you go on vacation, you don't have to worry about missing any of your shows -- and you don't have to setup timers or anything either because it's all AUTOMATIC.

Basically, it's the best invention in a LONG time...

And remember, if you've been a DirecTV customer for a couple of years (or more), you can call them up and get a FREE ONE - although you may need to ask for Customer Retnetion.

No brainer.

CW

I've said it before, and everyone who has one has concurred -- it will *literally* change your entire life.

If you're a family guy, you'll be able to eat EVERY meal with your family (I havn't eaten dinner in front of the TV since we got ours).

If you go on vacation, you don't have to worry about missing any of your shows -- and you don't have to setup timers or anything either because it's all AUTOMATIC.

And remember, if you've been a DirecTV customer for a couple of years (or more), you can call them up and get a FREE ONE - although you may need to ask for Customer Retnetion.

No brainer.

CW

16098[/snapback]

Hey Chris maybe I missed something how with Tivo can I watch two games at same time. reason I ask is I just bought 50" Samsung HD and can do split screen and would love to watch dish picture on both sides.

Here is the setup I am going for:

In Living room with HD TV a new DTV HD receiver( Not going with HD Tivo since too expensive yet) with integrated over the Air HD antenna

In Bedroom Tivo/DTV receiver with line to TV and possible output line to HDTV in living room.

This way I can record anything and use Tivo output as one of the inputs for the split screen.

No brainer.

CW

16098[/snapback]

Here here Fezmid!!!! :w00t:

You'll want to sell your standalone TiVo because it's too expensive; with a DirecTV/TiVo combo unit, you pay $5/month for as many boxes as you have (1 box = $5, 100 boxes = $5).  You're currently paying $12/month, unless you have a Lifetime subscription.  If you do have a lifetime sub, sell it on eBay, and you'll get at least $200 for it.  The DirecTiVo lets you record two shows at once, which is also a bonus over the standalone.

You may be able to use existing coax -- -you should use RG6-QS (quad-shielded), as it prevents loss over long runs.  It's not entirely necessary, but is generally helpful.

You can NOT use a splitter for a sattelite signal.  You can (and should) use a Multiswitch, but that's not the same thing.  I have a 4x8 multiswitch - takes 4 inputs from the dish (you'll want a triple-LNB dish so that you can receive all of the programming, including HD for the future) and outputs to 8 different locations.  They cost about $100, but you should get it for free with your new installation.

You'll probably want to run two runs of coax to EACH room in case you get a TiVo in the future.  We have one in our bedroom and the living room.  They're the same cost as a regular receiver, so why not?

CW

15662[/snapback]

Thanks for correcting me Fez, it's a multiswitch that I have, a 4 x 8 which is great. Thanks again.

Hey Chris maybe I missed something how with Tivo can I watch two games at same time.  reason I ask is I just bought 50" Samsung HD and can do split screen and would love to watch dish picture on both sides.

Here is the setup I am going for:

In Living room with HD TV a new DTV HD receiver( Not going with HD Tivo since too expensive yet) with integrated over the Air HD antenna

In Bedroom Tivo/DTV receiver with line to TV and possible output line to HDTV in living room.

This way I can record anything and use Tivo output as one of the inputs for the split screen.

16135[/snapback]

You can't watch two games at the exact same time. However you can do something better (IMHO). Setup a recording for both games that you're interested in. Start watching game A. When there's a commercial, pause game A and flip to game B. Start watching that from the beginning. When there's a commercial, flip back to game A. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don't do that during Bills games (because I usually am giving the play by play in the chatroom), but I do it for the 4pm games quite a bit.

Alternatively, you could buy two DirecTiVos and hook them both up to the TV. You could just connect one line into 1, the second line into the 2nd TiVo (instead of two lines to both), and then watch both games at the same time if you wanted. But I prefer to give 100% of my attention to each game personally.

flomoe: No prob on the splitter vs multiswitch -- lots of people think they can use a cable splitter to get the signal to multipe TVs, so just wanted to make sure nobody got confused.

CW

You can't watch two games at the exact same time.  However you can do something better (IMHO).  Setup a recording for both games that you're interested in.  Start watching game A.  When there's a commercial, pause game A and flip to game B.  Start watching that from the beginning.  When there's a commercial, flip back to game A.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  I don't do that during Bills games (because I usually am giving the play by play in the chatroom), but I do it for the 4pm games quite a bit.

Alternatively, you could buy two DirecTiVos and hook them both up to the TV.  You could just connect one line into 1, the second line into the 2nd TiVo (instead of two lines to both), and then watch both games at the same time if you wanted.  But I prefer to give 100% of my attention to each game personally.

flomoe: No prob on the splitter vs multiswitch -- lots of people think they can use a cable splitter to get the signal to multipe TVs, so just wanted to make sure nobody got confused.

CW

16226[/snapback]

CW how do you burn DVD from your Tivo receiver? I am looking for a way to take what I recorded on the Tivo to be watched elsewhere in the house?

CW how do you burn DVD from your Tivo receiver?  I am looking for a way to take what I recorded on the Tivo to be watched elsewhere in the house?

16234[/snapback]

You can hack the TiVo so you can send the video directly to your PC over a home network; I havn't looked at how to do that yet (if anyone here has and has documentation on how to do it, let me know - I could make better Bills DVDs for everyone then!). I actually have a standalone DVD burner (replaces my VCR) that I burn games to...

Probably not the most helpful answer.

CW

You can hack the TiVo so you can send the video directly to your PC over a home network; I havn't looked at how to do that yet (if anyone here has and has documentation on how to do it, let me know - I could make better Bills DVDs for everyone then!).  I actually have a standalone DVD burner (replaces my VCR) that I burn games to...

Probably not the most helpful answer.

CW

16243[/snapback]

Here is my set up- Samsung dvr (it has digital sound output which standalone does not) RCA receiver with digital video&sound -to panasonic dvd recorder.S-video&analog sound to my stand alone series1 TIVO which I upgraded the hard drive to 120 G-bytes from same RCA receiver. I have another RCA receiver& series 1 TIVO in living room,along with a VCR. I ran a coax from vcr to master bedroom,coax from TIVO to 2nd bedroom.RCA cables from TIVO to vcr. If vcr is off master bedroom receives TIVO from T.V. room (I ran 2 coax between Living room & T.V. room) if vcr is on master bedroom receives TIVO from living room+vcr tapes. For football I disconect coax from living room TIVO which usually goes to 2nd bedroom &attach 2nd coax I ran between living room & T.V. room I run this to ant in on large screen in T.V. room. DVR to input 1 Tivo to input2. I can watch 4 games at a time, because they are all on TIVO I can rewind if I miss anything. I also bought an extra remote for TIVO -$30.00 & a gizmo that turns it into a radio signal-$30.00 this way I can control TIVO from living room from anywhere in the house.If we have company I give them this remote to use for 2nd bedroom & in master bedroom use remote from RCA receiver in T.V. room (also has radio signal) -EXCEPT FOOTBALL SUNDAYS! Then I have all remotes! I'm a huge Bills fan living in S.W. Fla since 1984 so I also became a Tampa Bucs Fan because I could Only watch The Bills 2 x a year before Sat. T.V. Sorry I havn't registered - I'm just too damn lazy! but I really enjoy reading the Wall. Hello to you all from Mike In Englewood Fl. By the way I never lost my sat. signal during Charly- But my Bro. lost his condo. Pray for us & this next one.One more thing, the picture from my stand alone TIVO units is as good if not better than the DVR,& I can record music channels on them which you can't do with a DVR. Also Stevie Ray Vaughn- live this weekend for free on ch 103 ALLRIGHT Direct T.V.