Game On! What were you're greatest victories or tragedies?

Matt in KC

Really glad I targeted Jared Cook at TE. TY Hilton? Not so much.

In my keeper league, I'm defending my title with Foster and Rice as my starting RBs. I'm thinking I need to make some trades before those guys start to break down.

Congrats on Cook!

-----

For my drama, I left Cruz on my bench this week in favor of Bowe. Now I need a big Monday night from Foster and Garcon, bu tthink it's unlikely to be enough.

I made a huge error on draft day. I had a chance to draft either Tom Brady or Peyton Manning in the 3rd round or 4th round (I was #12 in a 12 team snake draft, so I had back to back picks), and I went with Brady in round 3, and next pick, round 4, I picked up Wes Welker. Got Gronkowski later on..now, make no mistake, I am no closet Pats fan (though, I did pick up Julian Edlmen on waivers this morning), but I had too many voices in my head (Matthew Berry types) preaching to me that you don't want to have a #1 QB/WR combo from the same team.

Sadly, having such a late pick in the draft, Welker was, by far the best WR option available to me. Ours is not a PPR league, so Welker is only good, not great most weeks. I have had him before, as a Patsy.

Looking back, I should have taken P Manning. My biggest question mark about him was his health (I had heard "insider" reports that his arm has lost something, looked pretty great week 1), with Brady my biggest concern was the team around him. I succumbed to the Patriot hype machine, for those few minutes, and convinced myself that Brady/Belichek will always get the most from the least. I am kind of regretting it now...I think Brady will have a good season (g'damn it!), but Manning appears poised to have a stellar season.

I drafted Gronkowski, knowing he would miss a few games at the begining of the season...I figured his injury status would scare people off, and it did. As a backup for the first few weeks, I went with a gut feeling on Dwayne Allen, from the Colts. Fleener is the more well known guy in Indy, but Allen is a better player.

As it turned out, week one, Allen only got me 5 pts, and had a pretty pedestrian game. That doesn't worry me so much, but the fact that Allen seems to be nursing some sort of hip injury does. Now, going into tonights game (Pats/Jets), I am wondering if I should jettison Allen, and pick up Celek, Winslow Jr or Dallas Clark instead?

I am now 0-1, going up against one of the better (if not best) looking teams in our league.

Really glad I targeted Jared Cook at TE. TY Hilton? Not so much.

In my keeper league, I'm defending my title with Foster and Rice as my starting RBs. I'm thinking I need to make some trades before those guys start to break down.

I still think Hilton will have a big year. He and Luck seem sympatico! One of the hardest things in FF (for me anyways) is to not overreact in the first few weeks of the season...teams kind of "settle down" after the first few weeks, and become what they will be for the rest of the season, barring injuries.

Cook was a great pick!

Edited by Buftex

I made a huge error on draft day. I had a chance to draft either Tom Brady or Peyton Manning in the 3rd round or 4th round (I was #12 in a 12 team snake draft, so I had back to back picks), and I went with Brady in round 3, and next pick, round 4, I picked up Wes Welker. Got Gronkowski later on..now, make no mistake, I am no closet Pats fan (though, I did pick up Julian Edlmen on waivers this morning), but I had too many voices in my head (Matthew Berry types) preaching to me that you don't want to have a #1 QB/WR combo from the same team.

Sadly, having such a late pick in the draft, Welker was, by far the best WR option available to me. Ours is not a PPR league, so Welker is only good, not great most weeks. I have had him before, as a Patsy.

Looking back, I should have taken P Manning. My biggest question mark about him was his health (I had heard "insider" reports that his arm has lost something, looked pretty great week 1), with Brady my biggest concern was the team around him. I succumbed to the Patriot hype machine, for those few minutes, and convinced myself that Brady/Belichek will always get the most from the least. I am kind of regretting it now...I think Brady will have a good season (g'damn it!), but Manning appears poised to have a stellar season.

Brady will be solid again, I'm afraid. I'm curious what rhythm Peyton settles down into after a few weeks. If you landed Welker, I don't think you missed out as well. Those two might really light it up this year. Brady+Welker sounds better to me than Peyton+Randall Cobb (or whoever). Who did you take in rounds 1 + 2?

And I'm assuming congratulations are in order for last year if you're picking last year. :beer:

-------------------------------------

I took the following 1-2-3:

1.8 Arian Foster

2.5 Matt Forte

3.8 Frank Gore

I have never selected RB-RB-RB before. I took Gore in the 3rd because I didn't like the QBs (Rogers and Brees gone; Brady and Manning taken right before me). After week 1 I thought I'd screwed up not taking Welker (taken the pick before my 4th round pick of Cruz).

BUT - last year's champ made it to the draft late and the computer auto-drafted for him, not taking a RB until the 5th round! He just traded Calvin Johnson to me for Gore. No one else was in a position to part with a quality RB.

So, Buftex, I guess you just have to wait to see how it turns out. And I agree; do not overreact to the first week or two.

Brady will be solid again, I'm afraid. I'm curious what rhythm Peyton settles down into after a few weeks. If you landed Welker, I don't think you missed out as well. Those two might really light it up this year. Brady+Welker sounds better to me than Peyton+Randall Cobb (or whoever). Who did you take in rounds 1 + 2?

And I'm assuming congratulations are in order for last year if you're picking last year. :beer:

We have a 12 team league, normally it is about 9 or 10 of the same people, and then 2 or 3 newbies...this year was the first year, that I can remember, that everyone returned from the previous year. Our draft seeding isn't based on last years results, it is just decided randomly (number from a hat!), and we don't know until right before the draft starts. Based on last years results, I would have had the 7th or 8th pick...I got bumped in the first round of the playoffs...IIRC I was the 5th or 6th seed...can't remember now.

Given my late draft choice, and the fact that all the good running backs were going off the board pretty quick, I had to take the two best running backs left in round 1 & 2 (picks 12 & 13)...Ray Rice and Chris Johnson. Not terribly exciting picks (given my druthers, wouldn't have wanted to draft Johnson that high, but there would have been absolutely nothing left 24 picks later....snake draft!)...picking last you really don't have a lot of control of your draft strategy.

Brady had a pretty rough night agaist the Jets...can't remember him ever having so many incompletions in one game (19 out of 39 for 185 and TD), let alone passing under 50%...it is not Brady I am so much worried about, it his supporting cast. Julian Edleman (who I picked up and started) had 13 of those 19 receptions, for a meager 78 yards...

When I won a few years ago, I traded a ton of picks with the guy at the other end of the draft so our picks were more regularly spaced. I picked #1, then we switched selections in the 2nd, 4th, 6th etc. (all even rounds) so I picked first every round. That way I moved up 11 spots every other round.

I convinced him it was best for both us to not have to wait so long to pick, and gave up a 4th or 5th round pick I earned from a trade the previous year. This was a 2-keeper league at the time, so those were not premium picks, but it meant it was even more important for me to pick early to land guys that would make a difference. In his mind he was moving down 11 places in the 2nd for a 4th round pick, and the rest was so late it didn't matter compared with the strategic advantage of picking more regularly.

Sorry about your fantasy QB this week... (though I was thrilled to see Brady struggle).

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.