(OT) Car experts

Buftex

I am thinking of buying a 1996 Honda Accord of a buddy of mines' wife. It has about 112,000 miles on it. I have known them as long as they have had it, and have even driven it a bit myself. Nice car, for $1000. Now, you could fill a book the size a phone book with what I don't know about cars. This car has barely been driven over the last six months, but drove fine up to that point. My questions to you:

Can gas "go bad" in an idle car? If yes, how long does that take to happen, at what are the repercussions?

Also, what other problems are common as a result of car sitting idle, parked for a long period of time?

Thanks!

The car and gas should be fine. Sometimes gas can be contaminated with rust and dirt, which could result in the fuel injectors getting clog. But I really don't see that happening. Does gas break down after 6 months? No, it usually stays in a mixed state.

Now on to more important things... what type of bodykit are you going to put on it. :huh:

the brakes will have a coat of rust on them from sitting

when you apply them , it will result in rust particules imbedding into the brake pads , reducing friction ( that "stopping" force) and in some cases ,if thebrakes are already pretty worn down , fracture the brake material leaving you with metal on metal ,a grinding noise , and a larger bill for repair costs

I own a 96 accord (my wife drives it) and its the best car I've ever owned, bar none. I also own an 87 accord with 266,000 miles on it that I had sitting in my garage for over 2 years, never started once! I put it back on the road without a problem. Yeah, it had rusty brakes but a drive around the block cured that. Put in fresh gas and some gas additive and you should be fine.

For $1000, it's a steal unless its all banged up and has known engine problems.

Thanks everyone! I am definitely going to buy the car, and I know I am getting a very good deal. The only thing that I know is wrong with it, it likely needs a new starter, or a new battery, both pretty minimal. We jumped it a few weekends back, I drove it around for about a half an hour, and it ran fine. When I tried to re-start it, about a half an hour later, it was dead again.

Thanks again!

It wouldn't hurt to throw a new timing belt on it. It will run for another 100 grand.

For sure. If it already hasn't been replaced, you DEFINITELY should do this, since it can wreck your engine if it goes (a known problem with Honda Accords). My only other caution is buying something from a friend. If you do, just accept it as-is and don't get worked-up over stuff that MAY go wrong.

For sure.  If it already hasn't been replaced, you DEFINITELY should do this, since it can wreck your engine if it goes (a known problem with Honda Accords).  My only other caution is buying something from a friend.  If you do, just accept it as-is and don't get worked-up over stuff that MAY go wrong.

206361[/snapback]

Oh yeah, believe me, I know this. We have been friends for about 20 years, nothing would change that. I offered them more for the car, they would only take $1000 from me. They wanted to just give it to me. I am sure they could get at least twice that. They are fairly financially comfortable, and take care of their cars. Like I said, I know for a fact it has never been in any accidents, or had any major problems.

Oh yeah, believe me, I know this.  We have been friends for about 20 years, nothing would change that.  I offered them more for the car, they would only take $1000 from me. They wanted to just give it to me.  I am sure they could get at least twice that.  They are fairly financially comfortable, and take care of their cars.  Like I said, I know for a fact it has never been in any accidents, or had any major problems.

206438[/snapback]

Just make sure the frame is not rotten. Hard to tell if you don't put it on a lift and look it over good. Salt from the road eats them older cars up, even a 1996.

Oh yeah, believe me, I know this.  We have been friends for about 20 years, nothing would change that.  I offered them more for the car, they would only take $1000 from me. They wanted to just give it to me.  I am sure they could get at least twice that.  They are fairly financially comfortable, and take care of their cars.  Like I said, I know for a fact it has never been in any accidents, or had any major problems.

Well then, I'm sure if you DID have problems, they'd probably offer to give you your money back. Go for it. It's a good deal even at $2000, depending on the condition of the car's body.