Bills Statistical Anomaly

What are the sheer odds of losing to the eventual NFC Superbowl team for the past seven years?!

2006 — Loss @ Chicago, 40-7

2007 — Loss v. NY Giants, 38-21

2008 — Loss @ Arizona, 41-17

2009 — Loss v. New Orleans, 27-7

2010 — Loss @ Green Bay, 34-7

2011 — Loss @ NY Giants, 27-24

2012 — Loss @ San Fran 45-3

Its 1 in 4 any given year that we play them. Given they are a good team and we are a bad team the odds of that actually being a loss are pretty good.

if you are an AFC east team, the way the nfc has rotated exactly along the way we rotate which division we play means that all 4 AFCE squads have atleast played the NFC representative all those years.

Every year we play 25% of the NFC. Every year we suck. So it's not super crazy. :P

yea really the odd part is that the NFC representative has followed North, East, West, South, North, East, West.... and this year very well could be south (atlanta has good odds, and saints wouldnt be crazy though i dont think they have the defense and injuries hit hard)

Its 1 in 4 any given year that we play them. Given they are a good team and we are a bad team the odds of that actually being a loss are pretty good.

if you are an AFC east team, the way the nfc has rotated exactly along the way we rotate which division we play means that all 4 AFCE squads have atleast played the NFC representative all those years.

yea really the odd part is that the NFC representative has followed North, East, West, South, North, East, West.... and this year very well could be south (atlanta has good odds, and saints wouldnt be crazy though i dont think they have the defense and injuries hit hard)

I mean it's not JUST the 1 in 4 aspect. It's getting the division where the superbowl team HAPPENS to be in and then losing to that team. And then that happening SEVEN years in a row.

Indeed.

I mean it's not JUST the 1 in 4 aspect. It's getting the division where the superbowl team HAPPENS to be in and then losing to that team. And then that happening SEVEN years in a row.

The AFC East has played those same teams. The Pats, Jets and Dolphins have all been good within the last seven years. We have not. So it's really not that far fetched other than the whole division facing the eventual NFC champs.

right, like i said, we follow a set rotation of divisions, so its odd that the nfc has rotated its representative so consistently around the conference. all 4 AFCE teams can claim having to play the NFC super bowl team the last 7 years.

a team that hasnt made the playoffs in over a decade losing to a team that is super bowl caliber is probably pretty high odds... super bowl teams are good, we were bad.... by statistics alone, you wouldnt think we would be so awful for so long though.

Edited by NoSaint

right, like i said, we follow a set rotation of divisions, so its odd that the nfc has rotated its representative so consistently around the conference. all 4 AFCE teams can claim having to play the NFC super bowl team the last 7 years.

a team that hasnt made the playoffs in over a decade losing to a team that is super bowl caliber is probably pretty high odds... super bowl teams are good, we were bad.... by statistics alone, you wouldnt think we would be so awful for so long though.

:(

Records:

San Fran - 4-0

NYG (2011) - 4-0

Green Bay - 2-2 (Miami & NE wins)

New Orleans - 4-0

Arizona - 2-2 (NYJ & NE wins)

NYG (2007) - 3-1 (NE wins)

Chicago - 2-2 (Miami and NE wins)

i can confirm that new england also lost to the giants two of those years

that put a smile back on my face.

You mean 4 times (over those two years) ;)

Edited by Dorkington

Assuming wikipedia is accurate:

2006, Bears beat Jets, lost to P*ts and Phins

2007, Giants beat Jets and Phins, lost to P*ts

2008, Arizona beat Phins, lost to P*ts and Jets

2009, NO swept the division

2010, GB beat the Jets and Bills, lost to P*ts and Phins

2011, Giants swept the division

2012, SF swept the division

2013, ?

Except for 2008, the Jets performed the same.

kj

What are the sheer odds of losing to the eventual NFC Superbowl team for the past seven years?!

2006 — Loss @ Chicago, 40-7

2007 — Loss v. NY Giants, 38-21

2008 — Loss @ Arizona, 41-17

2009 — Loss v. New Orleans, 27-7

2010 — Loss @ Green Bay, 34-7

2011 — Loss @ NY Giants, 27-24

2012 — Loss @ San Fran 45-3

If you assume that schedules are random enough to be called random, and that the Bills had 0% chance to win this game, the chance is (1/4)^7, or 1/16384.

If you think the Bills had a 50% chance to win the game, the odds of each one are then ((1/4)(1/2))^7 which is 1/2097152.