Player loses $2 million by missing offseason program

Tarell Brown has now fired his agent.

“That’s what agents get paid to do — to orchestrate the contract and let you know what you can and can’t do as far as workouts, OTAs, things of that sort,” Brown said Thursday of Overstreet, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “That’s what he got paid to do. He didn’t do that. So, in my opinion, you have to be let go. We all are held accountable for our actions and it’s just part of the business.”

http://profootballta...alary-increase/

IMO if Brown either had a better work ethic or any clue, it wouldn't have come to this. While he's making excuses and painting himself as the victim, he's equally as culpable in this situation as his agent is.

You're a professional. Shouldn't you attend voluntary team workouts?

You're a professional. Shouldn't you know what your contract stipulates?

Moral of the story: stupid people do stupid things.

Re: the bolded -- not necessarily. There needs to be a work/life balance in there, and maybe he had important personal things to deal with. Or maybe he feels that working out on his own is as effective or more in preparing him for the season. Skipping a voluntary activity doesn't in and of itself make one unprofessional.

Tend to agree with everything else. He should consider it part of his job to know his contract, especially with that much on the line. Having said that, he's absolutely right to fire his agent. Just because the player screwed up doesn't excuse the professional incompetence of the agent. First off, who negotiates a $2 million drop in salary for missing workouts? I've never heard of such a thing. Second, if you are going to negotiate that, you'd better make that clause VERY clear to your client. Make sure he understands it and is on board with it before the contract is signed. And third, you should remind him that the workouts are coming up, and that missing them will cost him a ton of money.

Re: the bolded -- not necessarily. There needs to be a work/life balance in there, and maybe he had important personal things to deal with. Or maybe he feels that working out on his own is as effective or more in preparing him for the season. Skipping a voluntary activity doesn't in and of itself make one unprofessional.

While I don't practice what I preach, I believe that having a good work/life balance is very important.

That said, from the start of training camp till the end of the regular season is only 5 months.

The offseason programs are limited to 9 weeks. That brings the maximum possible number of weeks the player can be at the facility to 7 months and 1 week or 29 weeks.

This means that except for those players who participate in the playoffs, these guys have 23 weeks of unsupervised time each year.

I constantly talk about how punishing football is to the body and I endlessly lecture about how most people don't appreciate the physical price the players play both short and long term.

That said, if I were a player I would comply 100% with the offseason program and if I was a coach, I'd have a hard time not prejudicing myself against players who didn't attend every voluntary session.

JMO.

I also thought it interesting that there was nary a peep from the Niners.

The update is that the Niners claim that they didn't know about the workout clause.

Neither side is gonna come out of this looking very good.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/28/harbaugh-says-team-didnt-know-about-tarell-brown-workout-clause/

The update is that the Niners claim that they didn't know about the workout clause.

Neither side is gonna come out of this looking very good.

http://profootballta...workout-clause/

Sounds like a way to blame the back room people while keeping good relations between the coach and player. You would never believe this in New England.

Sounds like a way to blame the back room people while keeping good relations between the coach and player. You would never believe this in New England.

Of course the GM had to know also. Harbaugh, maybe not, but the front office absolutely had to know.

The only way a team demands a clause like that be in the contract is if the guy is a slacker with significant off-season motivation problems. As SJBF said, this is a part time job for these players. They have most of the year to do nothing related to football.