Why I am not optimistic about this team

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill

The one big difference that Wood brings to the plate is his ability to provide a pocket to the QB. When Wood plays, the QB has the extra second to throw the ball. When Wood is not in the lineup, the QB feels tremendous pressure from the middle. I don't have any statistics to back it up, but have watched this phenomenon in the actual games. It is good to good to have finesse guards, but if you don't have a center that can give a pocket to the QB, then it is not much use for the current passing game. Kent Hull was more valued on those 90s line than a LT or Guard. I am not saying Wood is reincarnation of Hull, but he is pretty solid.

I think that Colin Brown looks pretty decent at Center as well. And as much as I like what Wood has shown us for a few games, he doesn't have the body of work (imo) to characterize him as dominant. Levitre played his position consistently well, and made life much easier for Glenn, a rookie left tackle. As K-9 suggests, the loss of AL, big or small, will be soon recognized.