Another Patriot busted

Well this is a great post.

Yeah, minus the grammar mistakes. :lol:

It could also just be a product of groupthink. Maybe teams A, B, and C were prepared to draft him in a later round, but when he was actually still there, they might've thought, "Hey, maybe there's something we don't know about this guy."

Or, as unlikely as it might be, they might not have had him on their board at all since they figured pre-draft, "We'd take him in the 5th, but he'll certainly be gone by then so let's focus elsewhere," and basically "forgot" he was still out there in the later rounds.

Far-fetched for sure, but I'd love for the Bills to have caught a break for once.

Still, evidently not one out of thirty two teams felt he was worth the risk. Makes ya think.

Edited by uncle flap

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is a great post.

The punishment (going undrafted) doesn't seem to fit the crime (3 failed drug tests).

You're right. It seems like there almost has to be more to the story that we don't know.

I see I was beaten to the punch on that one

It could also just be a product of groupthink. Maybe teams A, B, and C were prepared to draft him in a later round, but when he was actually still there, they might've thought "Hey, maybe there's something we don't know about this guy."

Or, as unlikely as it might be, they might not have had him on their board at all since they figured pre-draft, "We'd take him in the 5th, but he'll certainly be gone by then so let's focus elsewhere," and basically "forgot" he was still out there in the later rounds.

Far-fetched for sure, but I'd love for the Bills to have caught a break for once.

Still, not one out of thirty two teams evidently felt he was worth the risk. Makes ya think.

Your first bolded statement is plausible.

To your second bolded statement, I seem to remember that 14 teams contacted him to sign him as an undrafted free agent so this whole situation is weird and now you have me convinced that it was the groupthink/negative momentum thing at work.

Your first bolded statement is plausible.

To your second bolded statement, I seem to remember that 14 teams contacted him to sign him as an undrafted free agent so this whole situation is weird and now you have me convinced that it was the groupthink/negative momentum thing at work.

Right, I mentioned that in the first post that there were a number of teams interested. But we don't know how interested they were (financially and/or "selling" his prospects at making the team) or the source of said info.

I recall the reports too, but as we all know, agents love feeding info to "insiders" and those insiders are quick to make it a part of the news cycle. It only takes one of them to make a report and then it is immediately taken as gospel. There's no harm in reporting that X amount of teams were interested after the fact, since it doesn't matter if it's actually true. And since it was so inconsequential, it's not as if execs are going to deny that they were interested.

Yeah, the agent is the source:

In the frenzied moments after the draft concluded, Rogers' agent said he fielded calls from 13 teams. Another team, unsure if the Bills had signed Rogers, even called today to take a run at signing him.

Rogers and agent Joby Branion decided quickly that Buffalo presented the best opportunity and agreed to terms Saturday night. The Bills are remaking their offense. Young players will have a better chance to get on the field than they might with other clubs.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/04/darick-rogers-tell-bills-fans-they-got-the-steal-of-the-draft.html

Edited by uncle flap

Has anyone mentioned this is a big hit for the Pats who are already really low on CB's?

LCB: Talib / Dowling / Ryan / Jones

RCB: Dennard / Arrington / Cole / Morris

Arrington has a new 4 year deal, Talib a new one year deal. I know nothing of the others. I could swear someone else was suspended, too.

Edited by jboyst62

Has anyone mentioned this is a big hit for the Pats who are already really low on CB's?

Arrington has a new 4 year deal, Talib a new one year deal. I know nothing of the others. I could swear someone else was suspended, too.

This is no longer about football and simply a point and laugh free for all at the team that has dominated us for over a decade.

Talib is at any moment potentially seconds from a major offense. If anyone was a risk for becoming a murderer on that team it was him.... about even money odds against the entire team, even before cuts

This is no longer about football and simply a point and laugh free for all at the team that has dominated us for over a decade.

I am not going to get on that boat

Speak for yourself.

Keep in mind that NDBUFFCUSEFAN is the guy who was slamming the Bills for not offering to exchange OJ Simpson jerseys like New England did with Hernandez.

He's a troll.

Also most likely a New England fan.

Keep in mind that NDBUFFCUSEFAN is the guy who was slamming the Bills for not offering to exchange OJ Simpson jerseys like New England did with Hernandez.

He's a troll.

Please show me where I slammed the Bills, I asked why OJs murder trial wasn't treated the same as AH.

Please show me where I slammed the Bills, I asked why OJs murder trial wasn't treated the same as AH.

Right here:

The New England Patriots ProShop will offer a free jersey exchange of any #81 Hernandez jersey purchased at the Patriots ProShop or online at PatriotsProShop.com for a new Patriots jersey of comparable value. The free jersey exchange will be available exclusively at the Patriots ProShop the weekend of Saturday, July 6 and Sunday, July 7.

So two salient points.

It's not made clear who gets to choose the jersey but one would assume it's the customer. It says "for a new Patriots jersey of comparable value" so probably the customer chooses the player's jersey.

Secondly it's only a two-day window to exchange. It seems like the team should make the exchange a long-term policy. Not all their fans will be able to take advantage of the program within the two-day window.

Why not make it indefinite? Is the point to make the team look good with PR or to actually eradicate as many Hernandez jerseys as possible?

I must have missed when the Bills did this for OJ.

Then you accused me of taking your comments out of context and when other posters challenged you on this you simply disappeared.

I'll actually start respecting you when you start being truthful around here.

If you think that was a "slam" you may want to leave the internet before your panties get too bunched. I grown up 2 miles from the stadium but I still retained my sense of humor and with Bills on the last 15 years, I need it.

Edited by NDBUFFCUSEFAN

Ah, the old "panties in a bunch" play, always indicative of high intellect, wit, and maturity.

I've been a Bills fan for longer than you've been alive and I've maintained my sense of humor.

Good, bad, or indifferent, it's on display every day here in this forum.

You on the other hand haven't shown any sense of humor that I've seen although you seem to like to really like the Patriots.

Yet you call yourself a Bills fan.

That's pretty funny.

Ah, the old "panties in a bunch" play, always indicative of high intellect, wit, and maturity.

I've been a Bills fan for longer than you've been alive and I've maintained my sense of humor.

Good, bad, or indifferent, it's on display every day here in this forum.

You on the other hand haven't shown any sense of humor that I've seen although you seem to like to really like the Patriots.

Yet you call yourself a Bills fan.

That's pretty funny.

Just think that it is funny that the Bills board focuses so much on menial Pats news, Hernandez was a story but the other 5 or so posts going on are weird.

Sorry to be such a prick but it amazes me that self-professed Bills fans can come onto a Bills forum and stick up for the !@#$ Cheatriots***, Jets, and Dolphins.

If you don't understand the deep enmity and hatred that dyed-in-wool Bills fans feel towards these teams then there's a huge part of your fandom that is totally missing. I'm not saying that you're not a fan but there's a big part of you that just doesn't get it.

I don't expect fans of those teams to be kind to the Bills on their forums and I'm certainly not gonna take kindly to worship of those teams, or "Bills fans" defending those teams or sticking up for those teams, or mocking the Bills because we're not as good as those teams.

Fan is short for !@#$ fanatic. In the world of sports those guys are the **** ENEMIES.

I come here to have good conversations with Bills fans, to laugh a bit, and to agree that we hate those !@#$ing !@#$s.

I don't come here to read people who don't know any better defending those teams or even worse, saying that we can't talk **** about them or that they own us or any of that CRAP.

If any of you wanna go jerk off to a picture of Tom !@#$ Brady, then do so on a goddamned Cheatriots*** board.

Is that too !@#$ hard to understand??????

Sorry to be such a prick but it amazes me that self-professed Bills fans can come onto a Bills forum and stick up for the !@#$ Cheatriots***, Jets, and Dolphins.

If you don't understand the deep enmity and hatred that dyed-in-wool Bills fans feel towards these teams then there's a huge part of your fandom that is totally missing. I'm not saying that you're not a fan but there's a big part of you that just doesn't get it.

I don't expect fans of those teams to be kind to the Bills on their forums and I'm certainly not gonna take kindly to worship of those teams, or "Bills fans" defending those teams or sticking up for those teams, or mocking the Bills because we're not as good as those teams.

Fan is short for !@#$ fanatic. In the world of sports those guys are the **** ENEMIES.

I come here to have good conversations with Bills fans, to laugh a bit, and to agree that we hate those !@#$ing !@#$s.

I don't come here to read people who don't know any better defending those teams or even worse, saying that we can't talk **** about them or that they own us or any of that CRAP.

If any of you wanna go jerk off to a picture of Tom !@#$ Brady, then do so on a goddamned Cheatriots*** board.

Is that too !@#$ hard to understand??????

I think you feel stronger about the Bills opponents than I felt hunting Al Qudea. I think some of you may want to re-think this as well, it is a game.

I think you feel stronger about the Bills opponents than I felt hunting Al Qudea. I think some of you may want to re-think this as well, it is a game.

Thus I said "in the world of sports."

I have plenty of perspective, believe me.

I just don't have tolerance for people who don't understand what it means to be a fan of a team.

You like Notre Dame AND Syracuse?

Who else do you like?