How long does Pettine stay with us?

It's one thing if this was the 2nd year under Marrone, Hackett & Pettine where we've seen the Bills play, their schemes and how they use players, but this is year one under a new coaching regime with new coaching schemes. Trying to predict how the Bills will do at this point before even seeing them put on the pads and play a preseason game is equivalent to predicting how well you're going to like a new job just after completing the first interview, but appearently Ms. Cleo, you have the ability to do that. So continue being a troll with avoiding questions and making blind predictions.

I don't have the ability to do any of that, but what you don't understand is none of us do when it comes to predicting. We do know that Pettine has had some excellent defenses with the Jets. I think something happened between him and Rex and the time was ripe for him to go out on his own. I think our defense has enough talent for Pettine to put them near the top 10. For him personally he'll make himself legitimate outside of Rex's shadow and if he does it with a team like Buffalo it will look that much more impressive. If he does that, I'm of the opinion he'll find himself interviewing for openings.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the highly skilled guys like Gilmore, Dareus, Byrd, Williamses, Carrington play to their potential and the rooks play like vets?

How much a reflection on the DC is that? Does it say, Whoa! look at the job he's done putting the players in the right spots to succeed? or does it prove just how pathetic the coaches were before?

My guess is that an owner would want a few years under his belt, even if he seems to gameplan and make in-game adjustments well. So much goes on behind the scenes in regards to player relationships and professional growth. I'd think some of those factors carry more weight than the football one's (as we'd like to believe, for it's mostly the on-field product that we can comment on) to climb the ranks in meteoric fashion, as many here are suggesting.

What if the highly skilled guys like Gilmore, Dareus, Byrd, Williamses, Carrington play to their potential and the rooks play like vets?

How much a reflection on the DC is that? Does it say, Whoa! look at the job he's done putting the players in the right spots to succeed? or does it prove just how pathetic the coaches were before?

My guess is that an owner would want a few years under his belt, even if he seems to gameplan and make in-game adjustments well. So much goes on behind the scenes in regards to player relationships and professional growth. I'd think some of those factors carry more weight than the football one's (as we'd like to believe, for it's mostly the on-field product that we can comment on) to climb the ranks in meteoric fashion, as many here are suggesting.

But you act like he doesn't have "a few years under his belt". If the defense in Buffalo performs he'll immediately get credit for the results in NY, IMO coupled with that will get him interviews.

I don't have the ability to do any of that, but what you don't understand is none of us do when it comes to predicting. We do know that Pettine has had some excellent defenses with the Jets. I think something happened between him and Rex and the time was ripe for him to go out on his own. I think our defense has enough talent for Pettine to put them near the top 10. For him personally he'll make himself legitimate outside of Rex's shadow and if he does it with a team like Buffalo it will look that much more impressive. If he does that, I'm of the opinion he'll find himself interviewing for openings.

Good job, TT.

Kudos for turning off that road.

Regardless of how it started or escalated I'm glad you changed tack.

The question I have is how much input and influence did Pettine really have with being the Jets Defensive coordinator? With our previous Offensive Coordinator, Curtis Modkins, we knew that Chan Gailey ran the offense and Modkins was merely an assistant to him. Was Pettine used in the same capacity or some variation with Rex Ryan and the Jets? Only time will tell if Pettine is the real deal.

Will Pettine come up with a good game plan every week? Will he put the right players in the right places? How well will Pettine make adjustments throughout the game? Once a team figures out the Bills weaknesses on defense, will Pettine be able to counter effectively? The Bills have been terrible at defending misdirection runs and passes over the past several years, can Pettine correct that? Also, the Bills got burnt badly by Russell Wilson against the option play last year, can Pettine correct that as well. If Pettine corrects these issues with the Bills over the next few years, then I would say he has a very legitimate shot at being a Head Coach. If not, then there’s no way he’ll be a Head Coach in the league.

Good job, TT.

Kudos for turning off that road.

Regardless of how it started or escalated I'm glad you changed tack.

You are impressively observant. I saw an opening to get the conversation back on a topic and took it. Not to say I did anything great or wasn't wrong within, but I did make the decision not to continue. Thank you for noticing that nuance.