The Bills cuts this year will be coveted

Exactly, I see Lindell, Williams and Smith as the only possible cuts that other teams will have much interest in. And all of them would be backups on other teams, not starters. If Williams is cut it will only be because his injuries have finally caught up with him, so he will be damaged goods

Because Bills DT's that are older, injured and damaged goods never go on to other teams to succeed. Imagine if we would have kept Wright, Washington and PWilliams for their entire careers?

I really wish we'd have had PWilliams. Mario Williams - Pat Williams - Kyle Williams on a front at one time together?!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax, this is still a bottom 5/6 team in the NFL. Which "established" player is going to get cut? If you can't make it on a bad team, the odds are not alot of good teams will be looking for you. Unless they cut Kolb, which is doubtful, maybe Lindell, but he would be a mid season injury replacement if anything. This team still isn't forcasted to be a very good team (3rd worst playoff odds in Vegas of the whole NFL), they won't be cutting too many "good" players.

You don't have to be "established" to be on someone else's Radar. I think we have a couple of WR that will be looked at by other teams when cut day comes, I also think a couple of LB may be looked at as well.

God isn't it a little premature? Our roster is weak on paper and still hasn't proven anything. There are far better teams. Is that you Russ Brandon

Optimism and saying every team in the NFL is sitting chewing their fingernails waiting to see who the Bills cut so they can scoop them up before anyone else does are by far two completely different things. The depth here is mainly players either that aren't going anywhere or have been all over and nobody else wanted them.

I "hope" we are good at WR, but to say we "ARE" good when there is only one proven receiver on the entire roster is laughable.

More than any other year, I see teams watching the Bills cuts with a very keen eye. I see several positions that would be of interest to other teams such as DT, CB, WR, S. I think we're going to have to let some guys go that can play in this league. What say you?

More than any other year, I see teams watching the Bills cuts with a very keen eye. I see several positions that would be of interest to other teams such as DT, CB, WR, S. I think we're going to have to let some guys go that can play in this league. What say you?

Our CB's have not produced well the past year or so in particular. Mckelvin is a good ST guy, but doesn't know what to do with his hands when defending a pass. I think Gilmore is going to be solid as he continues to learn & improve. Outside of that, what do we have at CB as far as talent? A couple of mid or late round picks this year that may not even make the roster. Our drafting has been marginal over the years, and teams that draft at the end of the round normally out-draft us ie: N.Eng, Pitt, Indy, Den, etc....We released some players like Barnett that we could've really used..actually a few players..who statistically had more tackles than what remains on the roster. This creates more holes, and also less depth at the position. This has occurred at CB, and at LB, also at WR (But at WR I did agree with the moves they make and am very hopeful about Woods & Rogers. I'm not as sold on Goodwin, but if he can become a better route runner, and hangs on to the ball..well he can burn anyone in the league with his blazing 4.27 speed!

I think the Bills at best have an average roster possibly, but it's premature to judge them based on closed OTA's. I'm 50/50 on E.J. Manuel until he has a sustained period of success. He may be 3rd string if he doesn't handle pre-season well. I really don't have any confidence in Kolb or T. Jackson either. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I really think that other teams will be more interested in teams like New England, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Denver, Indy, S. Fran, Seattle, etc..etc..all before the Bills when it comes to players that are cut! Until I see some of the 90's magic on the field I'm thinking that we're looking at 5-11 this season plus or minus 1 game. If the stars are aligned right, everything is maxed out...the coaching is outstanding, EJ is a starter who surprisingly does well, the receivers pan out, the bounces go right, etc....then the upper limit is 9-7, but until "I see more than I hear" I will stick with my 5-11 prediction which could change with the signing of 2 or 3 key free agents and other factors such as injuries.

Brad smith might be of value to other teams if he is cut to add cap margin. I do see the level of talent of the Bills projected cuts rising above that of recent years- e.g. to players who have seen the field with some regularity vs.not- but coveted is a strong word unless you mean for projects or special teams play. Tavaris Jackson would be on strike no. 3, but would be an upgraded cut over vince young or tyler thigpen. Tashard choice or dorin dickerson would possibly generate special teams interest.

So yeah, some players the Bills cut might be better than past cut players, which is a good sign, and may possibly find jobs elsewhere rather than the minor leagues or obscurity- but coveted by other NFL teams seems unlikely.

Edited by jethro_tull