ESPN cutting hundreds of jobs

What I learned from watching ESPN:

-- the NFL consists of the NFC East, the NY Jets, Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning.

-- hockey does not exist

-- Stephen A. Smith is unwatchable

-- really, really tall people shoving a basketball through a hoop is a skill

This ^ is the reason I rarely even even watch ESPN anymore. One thing to add is the NE PATRIOTS* are the NFL there just happens to be this other division NFC-EAST, NY JETS a couple of mannings and this tebow guy.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Forbes

A look at ESPN's rights fees reveals that maybe we shouldn't be so surprised at this week's layoffs http://bit.ly/195f0B8

mentioned that early in the talk - they have been spending like drunken sailors on some of these live events. not sure if it will see the returns they hope for or not but its definitely a real part of their strategy to steal every event they can from the networks.

For me, its not the company but the reasons behind the company's leadership for cutting workforce. Its rare for a CEO to step down because 'its whats best for the company'? From the CEO's PERSONAL POV, I'm sure it makes more sense to lay off 4% of the workforce before falling on the sword. Lots of money on the line for them.

That's a pretty stupid comparison. A company needs a CEO and they have one. The CEO 'falling on his sword' doesn't save a dime because they will just need to hire a new one.

But if you have 350 people that you don't need because of a shift in the way you conduct your business, why would you keep paying them to be unproductive?

ESPN has been Disney's cash cow and its most valuable property right now. It is by far the highest grossing cable network in the world, and no cable operator dares to take it off the line up, even though it represents a far disproportionate amount of programming costs. But the cutbacks are probably signaling that there's a big push back from the cable & satellite guys on ESPN fee increases. So, as ESPN has to pay sky high rights fees of its own to NFL, NBA, MLB, etc, it has less room to pass its higher costs to the cable & satellite guys. Yes, kiddies this is where the evil cable company is doing you a favor.

So to keep its profit margin, the evil corporation is cutting staff because it can't keep growing forever.

^ This is 100% correct.

But if you have 350 people that you don't need because of a shift in the way you conduct your business, why would you keep paying them to be unproductive?

and if the quality of the on air programming is any indication of the quality of behind the scenes work.... there is certainly fat that can be trimmed.

What? No love for wall to wall X-Games coverage or European soccer?

Don't forget Poker. Who would have thought the viewing audience would tire of watching a bunch of d-bags play cards.

Edited by Kevbeau

^ This is 100% correct.

The Wall Street Jedi Council is one of the many reasons I love PPP.

If you want to see some real use of the force, start a thread about Austrian Economics as it pertains to Obamacare. (The power of "The Individual", see it, you will. Fear it, you must. :lol:)

They even use real lightsabres and everything, it's a hell of a show. :pirate::lol: