Buffalo Bills hold their rookie mini camp tomorrow, What to look for

Buffalo Bills hold their rookie mini camp tomorrow, What to look for

By: Damond Talbot

Tomorrow many football players around the league will show up for their rookie mini camps. They will be treated like gold, as they are picked up from the Airport, taken to the facility and when it is all said and done, they will be popping each other at the end of the day.

Buffalo is one team that media will be keeping an eye on, not because of their new coaching staff but rather because of their draft. E.J. Manuel is the man to beat in Buffalo for the starting job, in my opinion and he will have an opportunity to perform this week. Some players that the Bills fans need to be keeping an eye on more than others are these players listed below, because they have the potential to make the roster and contribute right away.

I will start off with the draft picks. I think you can honestly rule out both E.J. Manuel and Robert Woods, because they should both be starters come week one. Buffalo could go into week 1 with several rookies starting, which rookies are they? Find out here:

Kendall Gaskins – FB – Richmond – Kendall Gaskins is pretty blessed in Buffalo, because first off he is a perfect fit for a west coast offense full back. He has great hands, and speed and is big enough to block. Gaskins is competing with Frank Summers and another undrafted free agent Drew Smith from Albany. This spot is up for grabs but when Buffalo failed to re-sign Corey McIntyre they went younger at the position. I can see Gaskins coming in and taking over from week 1.

Kiko Alonso – LB – Oregon – Buffalo Bills have passed on bringing in any free agent inside linebacker and even traded their former current Mike LB in Kelvin Sheppard. With that being said they went ILB in round 2. They drafted Kiko, who has some off the field issues in his past, but this guy could come in right away and start. The Bills are extremely high on Nigel Bradham and at this point, Kiko Alonso will be going up against Arthur Moats and several others at the Mike spot. Alonso is what the Bills need at linebacker because he can drop in coverage. He is long, and fast, which is a great asset to have in the AFC East with guys like Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez in the division. I expect Alonso to start as long as he picks up the offense quick enough.

Duke Williams – S – Nevada – Duke Williams is competing with Aaron Williams and Da’Norris Searcy to start, but if Jairus Byrd decides to hold out, Duke could be a great player to step in and take over. Duke has good ball skills and is a very hard hitter. He was drafted he should be on the roster.

Dustin Hopkins – K – Florida State – Let’s see here, Buffalo has drafted a kicker in back to back drafts, do you think they are happy with their current kicker? They should be because he has been one of the more reliable players on the roster. I think age is going to play a role in this decision but I see Dustin Hopkins starting week one. Last year the Bills released Brian Moorman and kept Shawn Powell, this year Rian Lindell could be getting the boot.

Da’Rick Rogers – WR – Tennessee/ Tennessee Tech – Buffalo has said numerous times that they believe that Rogers had a first round grade on their board. They were extremely excited to get him. Stevie Johnson does a very good job at teaching younger wide receivers. He has become a father like figure in their roles as a player. Stevie took both David Nelson and Donald Jones and turned them both into very capable wide receivers. I think Da’Rick Rogers and Robert Woods have way more upside than both Jones and Nelson, watch out AFC East Buffalo might have the best young receiving core in the league.

Keith Pough – LB – Howard – Pough is smaller at 6’3 and 230 but the kid is always around the ball. I can see Keith pushing some of the veterans for a spot on this roster. He is very good at rushing the passer and getting to the player in the backfield. Keith is one of my sleeper picks to make the 53 man roster.

Vernon Kearney – CB – Lane – Vernon Kearney is a small school gem. Tons of people haven’t heard of him, and that is the way he likes it. He was at the Raycom All Star game and the Texas versus the Nation game with guys like Jumal Rolle and others and Kearney beat them all out to start both games. He is 6’1, and 180 pounds, he is super long with 31 inch arms and runs a 4’3. Teams were scared to throw to his side of the football at Lane. Kearney has the most upside of any of the Bills UDFA’s because he has never really had the opportunity to work out in a gym and train with the big school guys. When he gets the chance, Kearney could be the huge steal and take over the nickel spot.

You can see it on www.nomorelinks . com

Awesome write up. I really think drew smith has a chance to beat out choice. How about Kaufman? I like him as well.

Question.....is his name pronounced Derrick or Da....Rick? Serious question....I really don't know.

Awesome write up. I really think drew smith has a chance to beat out choice. How about Kaufman? I like him as well.

Question.....is his name pronounced Derrick or Da....Rick? Serious question....I really don't know.

In interviews Buddy referred to him as Da Rick.

Stevie Johnson as a father figure?

Big Brother? Sure. But I doubt he had any real influence on Nelson or Jones. If anything, I'd guess it was the other way around.

Also, Keith Pough is listed as 6'2" 240. That's basically the same size as Alonso and Bradham. Not huge, but we're not talking Bryan Scott size here.

I love your interviews, Damond, but I'm not following these points. How do you figure Stevie played that role? Am I wrong on Pough?