Wegmans named best workplace in U.S.

Mike32282

Wegmans Food Markets Inc. has been named the best company in America to work for by Fortune magazine.

The Gates-based grocery chain of 67 stores in four states was cited by the magazine for its unusual motto "Employees first, customers second" and the rationale that when employees are happy, customers will be, too.

Wegmans employs about 14,500 workers locally, about 5,500 full-time. The company employs about 33,000 full- and part-time workers nationally.

Fortune also praised Wegmans' ability to compete against growing national and regional competition, including wholesale clubs such as Sam's and BJ's as well as Wal-Mart Supercenters.

"Wegmans has been a step ahead,'' wrote Matthew Boyle in the story which appears in Fortune's January 24 issue.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p.../501110302/1001

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone who works there visits here, which is more than likely, Congrats! You should be proud of this achievement. I love going in to Wegmans. No matter how busy they are it always seems like they have enough staff to get you through the checkout line rapidly. the atmosphere/ambiance in the stores is always relaxed. And I have never had a bad experience with any of the employees. Wegmans is a class act.

Now, going in to Tops in another experience in itself. :D

If anyone who works there visits here, which is more than likely, Congrats! You should be proud of this achievement. I love going in to Wegmans. No matter how busy they are it always seems like they have enough staff to get you through the checkout line rapidly. the atmosphere/ambiance in the stores is always relaxed. And I have never had a bad experience with any of the employees. Wegmans is a class act.

Now, going in to Tops in another experience in itself. :D

200541[/snapback]

I'm a full time overnight front end coordinator/cashier at Ridgemont Wegmans. Nice post. Thanks for the compliments. 0:)

As for your Tops comment...I couldn't agree more. I can't stand that place, even before I was a Wegmans employee.

I wonder how many job applications will flood in now that people see this!

200544[/snapback]

I wonder how many more cities down south are going to welcome Wegmans there with open arms now. Maryland and Virginia will probably be opening more soon and maybe even farther south. This will definitely help in their expansion.

0:)  :lol:

It can't be that bad.  :D

200555[/snapback]

You've never been, have you?

Oh, and to whoever said this is good, as Wegman's will now expand to the south, that doesn't mean crap.

If I go to a McDonalds in WNY, even though the person might hate working there, if i say "thanks" they will at least say "you're welcome"...

down here, you're lucky to get someone who speaks English, and when you do, if you do something as outrageous as ask for ketchup, you get a heavy <sigh>, like it may kill them to do so, and a 'thanks' just go simply ignored.

God, the people down here suck.

Try going to Winn Dixie..

When you leave, you feel like you need a delousing.

200548[/snapback]

:D Good one Steve! I like Publix the best. There is a Win Dixie near my house (A new one) that's clean (honest!) with good friendly people working in it. I sometimes go there.

Jeff

WNY has the best super markets in America. Our family from all over the country idolizes our grocery stores. Go to other cities and you'll notice the huge difference.

However, Wegmans is a step a head of Tops locally. Better prices, better employees, better overall shopping experience.

My family was involved in the founding of Tops Markets, so it hurts to say it, but Wegmans deserves to be #1.

Is it a union shop?

200578[/snapback]

It is not, and that probably is what creates such a great relationship between the employees and ownership.

I worked at Wegman's (Dick Road in Buffalo) growing up and loved it. They paid HALF of my college (Buffalo State) tuition with their scholarship program and I had health insurance and paid vacation time... All as a part timer. The people I knew who worked at Tops as part timers paid Union dues and because they were part time STILL had to pay extra if they wanted insurance.

Congratualations Wegman's. They've been working their way up the top 10 list for a few years. :D

WNY has the best super markets in America. Our family from all over the country idolizes our grocery stores. Go to other cities and you'll notice the huge difference.

However, Wegmans is a step a head of Tops locally. Better prices, better employees, better overall shopping experience.

My family was involved in the founding of Tops Markets, so it hurts to say it, but Wegmans deserves to be #1.

200584[/snapback]

I worked at Bells in Lewiston, NY from '82-'85. Not a bad store but Tops was always one step above.

Jeff

200584[/snapback]

When Tops was bought by that Dutch (?) company (Ahold limited I think) it was all down hill for them. Their stores are so sterile feeling. Its like being in a Hospital corridor and no one (who works there) seems too happy to be there.

One thing I've noticed about Wegmans v. Tops. The Brown and Orange tones inside Wegmans give it a very "warm" feeling. At tops, its white tile floors and white florescent light. A very cold feeling. That may seem insignificant, but I don't mind being in Wegmans, where as Tops, I really feel like I want to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Tops held its own until Ahold (also owns Giant, Hi-Lo, among others) took over, IMHO. We resisted Wegman's at first (especially since there are none in Batavia), but now we go out of our way to shop at Wegman's when it's practical (because the Tops stores in Batavia and Leroy both suck, esp for produce...).

The Gates-based grocery chain of 67 stores in four states was cited by the magazine for its unusual motto "Employees first, customers second" and the rationale that when employees are happy, customers will be, too.

It's funny, but I worked at a Wegmans for eight years and don't ever remember them advertising the "Employees first, customers second" motto on a t-shirt or apron. Wonder why? :D

I love Wegmans, I first experienced it back in 1985 when visiting a friend at RIT, they had touch screen computers that would help you locate where their products were. And the cleanliness was amazing. Growing up in Brooklyn we didn't have many "Supercenters" and the ones we had were very dirty. Our brand new Super Stop and Shop can't even compare to the Wegmans from 20 years ago! I have written a few times to the corp offices asking about opening some downstate.