Getting ready for this hurricane

stevestojan

1. Batteries. Lotsa batteries.

2. A mag lite. See also batteries

3. Electric lamps, powered by, yep batteries

4. An old school non portable wired phone. portable phones are useless without electricity and cell towers may go out. plug up a $5 wal mart phone, you'd be surprised how well POTS handles in a hurricane

5. Touch lamps. They throw a surprising amount of light

6. A radio for 2 reasons. Hurricane updates of course, and something to listen to when the power goes out for a couple days because you will be BORED

7. Books, a gameboy (will eat precious batteries), board games, or something to pass the time without power

8. Drinking water. Fill up anything you can. Pitchers, jugs, jars, pots and pans. If you go to work and they have a water cooler, borrow an empty bottle or 2 and fill that up.

9. Flushing water. Fill up your bathtub and bathroom sink in case you lose running water you need something to flush with

10. Clean clothes in case you can't shower for a day or 2

11. Food that doesn't require refrigeration, heat to cook, or water to prepare. Cereal, candy, chips, fruit, etc. i ate alot of canned tuna

12. A full tank of gas. After the hurricane it may be difficult to find a station with electricty to power the pumps

13. A case or 2 of your favorite carbonated beverage and/or a bottle or 2 of your favorite spirits. Keep it cool by storing in your bathtub (you did fill it with water, right?)

14. An attractive young lady to help pass the time 

15. Plastic cutlary. Kinda hard to do dishes without power and possibly without fresh water

16. A digital camera to take hurricane pictures with. I sent pics of Isabelle to my parents and they told me relatives they hadn't heard from for years were calling them asking for copies

Steve, also get:

1) fireproof/waterproof box for important documents.

2) tape up windows. a simple "X" across each will do the trick. masking tape of course

3) lawn furniture in pool or inside somewhere, also clean up debris around your place. A small stick can do a load of damage.

4) if you have the area, park the car against your building "in the shadow" of the wind. If not, just park it far enough away from power lines, poles, etc.

5) make sure gutters, shingles, tiles, etc. are secure

6) When storm hits, turn off all unncessary electonic equipment and unplug it. You will end up frying something.

7) The old school corded phone is a great idea, although phones won't last more than an hour after the power goes out (phones work on batteries, then they're dead)

8) by all means, if it looks like its going to be bad in your neighborhood, don't hesitate... take your computer, dog, and that waterproof/fireproof box and get the f out.

9) hate to say it, but take your dish down. directv makes one hell of a projectile if the wind catches it right.

10) as much as i hate to say it, stay clear of booze... you'll need a clear head if you have to get away from immediate danger... of course if you're like me, and in an area that's going to get messed up, but not destroyed, and your life isn't in clear and present danger, then by all means... cowboy up

11) dev is correct about a mag lite.. durable and most importantly, waterproof.

12) All electonics off of the floor, including wires.

13) if a window does break, open a window on the other side of your house to equalize the pressure, or else you risk every window in your house breaking.

14) first aid kit. Get a substantial one. its hard to avoid glass with 100 mph winds. the gause will come in handy.

15) if you're in your car, get one of those little emergency hammer and seat belt cutter. If your car goes under, the best bet is to break or roll down the window and climb out. Unlike the movies, your car will go down in a split second, and you won't be able to actually open the door because of the pressure difference.

16) thank the football gods for not having nfl this weekend. it would suck to miss the jax game if it were played on the 5th instead of the 12th.

good luck man... come back here and post as soon as possible if it affects you so we know you're ok.

oh, one more thing, make sure your APC on your computer has a fresh battery. sorta costly, but if there's a bunch of power flashes and surges, your computer could get f-ed.

I second filling the tub.

There are no hurricanes here (CA) but if a major quake hits, I was told to fill up the tub first. Can drink booze or pop or bottled water, but you need that tub of water to flush the toilet.

Just load up on the essentials: beer, beer and don't forget beer. Wife went out yesterday and picked up a couple 18 packs to go with the case that we already had. Make sure you have matches and plenty of candles handy. When Charley hit a couple weeks ago, we had candles sitting on the table and as soon as the power went out around 9:30, we fired those up. Make sure you keep your flashlights in a handy spot too because they're good to have close by when you have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I think we are pretty set for this thing but we are contemplating leaving Orlando after it passes if it looks like we aren't going to have power for a few days. We have our flight reservations for next Thursday to Buffalo, but the airlines said they would just issue a credit if we don't use the tickets, which is cool.

Good Luck stevestojan, Jeff and Dave and everyone else here in Florida, this one is going to be interesting to say the least. :devil:

i can't believe no one has mentioned it.......

don't forget poor little mary jane stevo!!

up on the east coast of canada we got whacked by hurricane juan last year around this time......we were without power for a week.......all the essentials you can find (with a little effort) after the storm hits, but your source will dry up quick.....

And thanks for those concerned about my dog. I do indeed have a sedetive for her! (my vet recommended this stuf call "rescue remedy" - it can be used for humans who have stress, etc, but has shown to work in animals as well if not better).

15127[/snapback]

Rescue Remedy DOES work. I use it on my dog, when I know he will be in a stressful situation. The stuff does work.

Cash. No power, no atm, no card reader at gas pump, nothing.

Important papers in a plastic bag.

If you think that you need to flee, pick up one of those map books that show every road known to mankind. This way you can use the side roads to evac instead of the hwy.

Bring into the house anything that you think that will fly away. If you can't get it into the house, tie it down. If you have a patio table, flip it over and secure it. Patio swing, tie it to something so that it doesn't pitch all over the place. (My dad put a couple of snap shackles on the swing and eye hooks in the railing for just such an occasion).

Take down any window screens and store.

(Been through Fran and Floyd in NC.)

GOOD LUCK!!