WHY is everyone mocking a QB @ #8?

Last year, it was called the Year of the QB. Luck, RG3, Wilson, Ponder, etc.

This year? It's called nothing. The year of NOT the QB. That's not to say there isn't a gem, but that there is no obvious/definitive Franchise Quarterback.

First off, new head coaches typically draft according to what type of coach they originally started out as. Marrone? He used to be an Lineman Coach before becoming head, and loves to build his OL (Pugh may be a 1st rounder).

If it were up to Marrone, I'm sure he'd love to trade back and nab Nassib & Pugh both at the end of the 1st.

In all likelihood? Here's how I predict it will all lay out come this weekend.

1st Rd - #8 Lane Johnson/Jonathon Cooper

2nd Rd - #41 Ryan Nassib/Matt Barkley

3rd Rd - #71 Shamarko Thomas, S Syracuse

4th Rd - #105 Travis Kelce, TE Cinci

If this were to happen, I would be a happy man. We simply would be filling every one of our needs besides WR and LB, which I am OK with our current fill-ins. Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales may indeed go undrafted unless Marrone spends a 6/7th rounder on Lemon, so I'm sure he's fine with signing one or both of these guys as a FA post-draft.

Would this make everyone happy? Marrone is a lot smarter than we all are giving him credit for, and kudos to him for even making it seem like the Bills are putting up a smokescreen for their #8 pick this year.

Hopefully Buddy takes a convenient bathroom break once we are on the clock so Marrone and Co. have the freedom to choose who they want to start building this team.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They are mocking a QB at 8 because the Bills havent had a franchise qb in over 13 years and its the biggest need in the organization. Pretty simple. You dont take a chance and pass on a guy to pick up an extra pick if you believe he is going to be your starter for the next 10 years.

The Bills might trade down. But if they trade down, its because they believe whoever they want at qb isnt worth the #8 pick, and he isnt a slam dunk.

They are mocking a QB at 8 because the Bills havent had a franchise qb in over 13 years and its the biggest need in the organization. Pretty simple. You dont take a chance and pass on a guy to pick up an extra pick if you believe he is going to be your starter for the next 10 years.

The Bills might trade down. But if they trade down, its because they believe whoever they want at qb isnt worth the #8 pick, and he isnt a slam dunk.

It's all about value I agree, but any QB this year in the Top 20 is a "reach". Why take Nassib when another QB may not even be taken within the 1st at all?? Odds are after working out 6 QBs during pre-draft workouts, that taking Nassib in the 1st is not our ONLY option. There's a reason we brought Kolb in as a back-up QB AND as our back-up plan come draft day.

Would I be upset if we went QB @ #8? No. But after a decade of NOT taking a QB in previous drafts where there was far better talent than in the current....I will be upset that we decided to pull the trigger in a down year for the position overall.

When Buddy says 'we'll find out in 2-3 years if he was worth the 8th pick", there is very little doubt they are taking a 1st round QB. Unless Buddy, at the age of 70-whatever, is going to start blowing smoke.

First off, new head coaches typically draft according to what type of coach they originally started out as. Marrone? He used to be an Lineman Coach before becoming head, and loves to build his OL (Pugh may be a 1st rounder).

So...where did you pull this crock of B.S. out of?

Uh... Ponder was drafted #12 two yrs ago. There are at least 3 QBs in this draft that are better than him.

Most of the mocks have the Bills taking a QB at 41. Yes, a few have them going QB at #8.

In the year of the "no QB", you will see 4 come off the board in rd. 1

So...where did you pull this crock of B.S. out of?

Check out our last 3 coaches and what position they drafted during their first year. I don't have the specific post, but another fan showed how Gailey, Jauron, etc. drafted their 1st rounder based on what positional coach they were and what side of the ball they used to coach too.

They're mocking QB, because the #1 rated QB should already be off the board by then. This is not a Luck/RG3 year where there's two guys in the top tier and then a bunch of others. This is the year where there's one guy (Smith) that will be gone and then a lot of guys with potential, but each that have their issues and many that could easily fall to the 2nd round or after. I wouldn't say so much that people are mocking a QB at #8, but really questioning the value over many other positions of need where the Bills could clearly get the #1 guy at a position. That's it in a nutshell. The Bills did this last year with Gilmore. He was the #1 CB on their board and they thankfully didn't pass on him. Same with Dareus and same with Spiller. I'll take a pass on another 2004 type draft season where we take a guy like Losman because we think we have to pick QB after Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are already selected.

Ponder was drafted in the Blaine Gabbert draft. This will be his third NFL season. And to answer the OP's question, because QB is the most important position in the sport and we only have Kevin Kolb and T Jack currently filling that role. Our front office has been saying they feel this draft has some good QB prospects and with the Jets having a pair of 1st round picks i'm not sure we can just assume Nassib or anybody else we like will be there at 41. If teams ahead of us pass on QB's in the first round you'd better believe they'll be trading back up into the late first or standing pat(Ahead of Buffalo in the second round) and taking one there. Take a guy at 8 and then start getting him help.

They're mocking QB, because the #1 rated QB should already be off the board by then. This is not a Luck/RG3 year where there's two guys in the top tier and then a bunch of others. This is the year where there's one guy (Smith) that will be gone and then a lot of guys with potential, but each that have their issues and many that could easily fall to the 2nd round or after. I wouldn't say so much that people are mocking a QB at #8, but really questioning the value over many other positions of need where the Bills could clearly get the #1 guy at a position. That's it in a nutshell. The Bills did this last year with Gilmore. He was the #1 CB on their board and they thankfully didn't pass on him. Same with Dareus and same with Spiller. I'll take a pass on another 2004 type draft season where we take a guy like Losman because we think we have to pick QB after Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are already selected.

Who is the Dareus or Spiller that will be there at the 8th pick? No clear cut "best guy at his position" will be left for us. Maybe Milliner. But there is no way you can spend back to back top 10 picks on CB's, that is pure lunacy. zYou want to draft a safety? That's the Dick Jauron plan, build up the secondary when you don't have a QB, among many other needs.Just because Losman was a bust doesn't mean whoever we take this year(if we take a qB first round) is JP. Cmon. That's just lazy.

Who said draft a safety? Not me. Plenty of boards have the #1 rated CB, WR, OG available at #8. There's a reason no one in the entire nation picks the first round accurately. It's because a teams board is different than yours. That's the point. There's a reason Luck and RG3 went #1/#2 last year. They were CLEARLY top level picks. Sadly, I could actually see Geno Smith falling to #8, who I really don't want at all. I want him to be gone so we don't pick QB that early.

Who said draft a safety? Not me. Plenty of boards have the #1 rated CB, WR, OG available at #8. There's a reason no one in the entire nation picks the first round accurately. It's because a teams board is different than yours. That's the point. There's a reason Luck and RG3 went #1/#2 last year. They were CLEARLY top level picks. Sadly, I could actually see Geno Smith falling to #8, who I really don't want at all. I want him to be gone so we don't pick QB that early.

I'm with you on Geno. Really? An offensive guard in the top 10? We just let a pro bowl guard go, a pro bowl guard we drafted in the second round. Taking another interior linemen to me is a lateral move, with a top 10 pick you need an impact player or franchise QB. Why does every QB drafted in first round have to be Luck or RG III? People seem to forget these same scouts said that they weren't sure Aaron Rodgers was worth a top 25 pick. Just because mel kiper doesn't think a QB is worth a top 10 pick doesn't mean he actually isn't. Kiper is the same dude who said Jimmy Clausen was worthy of a top 10 pick. If our coaches/scouts feel Nassib or Barkley or whoever is worth the spot let's go with it. We need a QB. Without a QB nothing else matters. I'll give you pro bowl guards, CB's, wideouts, ect. If your QB stinks you're going 7-9

Check out our last 3 coaches and what position they drafted during their first year. I don't have the specific post, but another fan showed how Gailey, Jauron, etc. drafted their 1st rounder based on what positional coach they were and what side of the ball they used to coach too.

Chan Gailey Coaching History - Graduate Assistant, DBs, DBs, DC, HC, TE/ST, WR/TE, QB, OC/WR, HC, HC, WR, OC, HC, OC, HC, OC, HC. First draft pick - CJ Spiller. Never was a RB Coach.

Mike Mularky Coaching History - TE, TE, OC, HC (Bills), OC, TE, OC, HC. First draft pick - Lee Evans (JP Second). Never was a WR or QB coach.

Greg Williams Coaching History - Def Asst/ST/LB, DC, HC (Bills), DC, DC, DC. First draft pick - Nate Clements. Never a CB or DB coach.

Only once did this hold true, Dick Jauron started as a DB coach and picked Donte Whitner. 1 out of the last 4 is hardly a trend at all. Perhaps you should take 5 minutes to do a bit of research before just making crap up.

Chan Gailey Coaching History - Graduate Assistant, DBs, DBs, DC, HC, TE/ST, WR/TE, QB, OC/WR, HC, HC, WR, OC, HC, OC, HC, OC, HC. First draft pick - CJ Spiller. Never was a RB Coach.

Mike Mularky Coaching History - TE, TE, OC, HC (Bills), OC, TE, OC, HC. First draft pick - Lee Evans (JP Second). Never was a WR or QB coach.

Greg Williams Coaching History - Def Asst/ST/LB, DC, HC (Bills), DC, DC, DC. First draft pick - Nate Clements. Never a CB or DB coach.

Only once did this hold true, Dick Jauron started as a DB coach and picked Donte Whitner. 1 out of the last 4 is hardly a trend at all. Perhaps you should take 5 minutes to do a bit of research before just making crap up.

I love beat downs with facts when people spout opinions as facts.

I'm with you on Geno. Really? An offensive guard in the top 10? We just let a pro bowl guard go, a pro bowl guard we drafted in the second round. Taking another interior linemen to me is a lateral move, with a top 10 pick you need an impact player or franchise QB. Why does every QB drafted in first round have to be Luck or RG III? People seem to forget these same scouts said that they weren't sure Aaron Rodgers was worth a top 25 pick. Just because mel kiper doesn't think a QB is worth a top 10 pick doesn't mean he actually isn't. Kiper is the same dude who said Jimmy Clausen was worthy of a top 10 pick. If our coaches/scouts feel Nassib or Barkley or whoever is worth the spot let's go with it. We need a QB. Without a QB nothing else matters. I'll give you pro bowl guards, CB's, wideouts, ect. If your QB stinks you're going 7-9

Yes, I would consider guard even though it's not ideal. Please tell me when Andy Levitre made the pro bowl. He didn't once in his 4 years with Buffalo. Was he a decent guard? Sure. Fitz didn't take a ton of sacks, but it wasn't for that reason. He got rid of the ball quickly and thus you can look at his interception numbers. Pretty high for a starter. In terms of Kiper, I don't buy his rating any more than many of the others throwing crap on the wall and hoping it sticks. Where was Clausen picked again? Oh yeh, 48th. Obviously NFL teams weren't working off the same draft chart that Kiper gave us before the draft. I'm not working off of it either this year. I posted this in another thread, but I would take Landry Jones in round 2 long before I would take either Nassib, Barkley or Smith in the first.

That is truly awesome. Kudos!