if the draft does this, what do we do

frogger

Three years ago, 2 OTs were taken in the top six and three in the top 11. All three are contributors on current playoff teams, including this year's SB. You should probably resubmit your application anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

T Smith looked a lot better when RG3 showed up. Before that that O-line sucked--87 sacks in his first 2 seasons. RG3's style of play is the sole reason the sack total went down to 33.

Ditto Davis in SF (88 sacks allowed in his first 2 seasons--over 100 before Kaep took over).

Okung wasn't much help protecting the QB before R Wilson showed up (50 sacks in 2011, 33 in 2012).

Would you take any one of these guys over Spiller?

2007-08 were also years where LTs went in the top 5. Levi Brown has done nothing in AZ. Joe Thomas has had zero impact on his team's fortunes and they passed on A. Peterson. Miami passed on Matt Ryan (and Flacco) to get to Long. Now, only 5 years later, they are done with him.

In 2009, the Rams picked J Smith as a LT at #2. He was beaten out of that position and replaced by 2nd rounder Saffold--he played RT instead. He is now on his 3rd team. Oh, and who is the Rams new LT? Jake Long!

The impact of LT as an individual is so limited, you have to (even) gamble on an impact player at an impact position. Picking a "contributor" isn't meaningful.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say Nassib is the pick at #8 (although I love me some T Austin there) but I say we are going to trade down a few spots (maybe twice) then go Nassib

Nassib at 8 sounds like the worst draft pick ever....

I still say Nassib is the pick at #8 (although I love me some T Austin there) but I say we are going to trade down a few spots (maybe twice) then go Nassib

Nassib at 8 sounds like the worst draft pick ever....nassib at 41 with Austin or Patterson in tow kinda works I guess if this Nassib infatuation has to happen..

T Smith looked a lot better when RG3 showed up. Before that that O-line sucked--87 sacks in his first 2 seasons. RG3's style of play is the sole reason the sack total went down to 33.

Ditto Davis in SF (88 sacks allowed in his first 2 seasons--over 100 before Kaep took over).

Okung wasn't much help protecting the QB before R Wilson showed up (50 sacks in 2011, 33 in 2012).

Would you take any one of these guys over Spiller?

2007-08 were also years where LTs went in the top 5. Levi Brown has done nothing in AZ. Joe Thomas has had zero impact on his team's fortunes and they passed on A. Peterson. Miami passed on Matt Ryan (and Flacco) to get to Long. Now, only 5 years later, they are done with him.

In 2009, the Rams picked J Smith as a LT at #2. He was beaten out of that position and replaced by 2nd rounder Saffold--he played RT instead. He is now on his 3rd team. Oh, and who is the Rams new LT? Jake Long!

The impact of LT as an individual is so limited, you have to (even) gamble on an impact player at an impact position. Picking a "contributor" isn't meaningful.

You have to stop thinking in terms of the position and think in terms of the players. Of course I wouldn't have taken any of those guys over Spiller. Spiller was a higher rated player anyway. But I'd take Orlando Pace or Jonathon Ogden over Spiller any day of the week.

GO BILLS!!!

You have to stop thinking in terms of the position and think in terms of the players. Of course I wouldn't have taken any of those guys over Spiller. Spiller was a higher rated player anyway. But I'd take Orlando Pace or Jonathon Ogden over Spiller any day of the week.

GO BILLS!!!

I am thinking about the position, and I have given several examples to back up my belief that a bad team picking a low impact player like LT in the top 5 or 10 does not lead to a better team. Ryan, Flacco, Peterson and Spiller (as examples) would have had much bigger impact on the fortunes of the teams than any LT--even Ogden or Pace. Flacco and Rice put the Ravens over the top. Ogden never had much of an impact on the defensively dominating team that he spent his career with---and he was "the best LT ever".