Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Today Marrone threw a little cold water on the nepotism issue, at least publicly, which was a smart move. When asked about knowing Nassib and if we would draft him, he said something like, "It was like having friends in the NFL, I didn't hire them all."

Nothing said in public, good or bad, about these players until the draft actually happens, should be considered the truth about how anyone feels about any player.

The more I think of it, the more it comes down to one basic thing: Ceiling or scratch the surface. Marrone and Hackett completely changed their offense right before last season. They obviously did not think that Nassib could win games playing the way he was playing in the offense he played in for the last two years. It took a few weeks to really take hold, although they had 1-2 explosive games early, but Nassib and the offense really took off the second half of last year, and that is what vaulted both coaches and player into the NFL.

Now, Marrone and Hackett saw that transformation first hand. They also saw Nassib struggle enough that they had to completely change the offense. So to me, the question is, did they maximize what Nassib could do and do well which allowed him and his team to explode and win -- OR -- did they think "Eureka! This is what we needed to unharness in him and now the sky is the limit with this kid!"

I don't think any one of us here know the answer to that question.

It's also possible that Marrone and Hackett don't know themselves, and are therefore wishy-washy on the subject themselves. This is something that has also come to my mind recently. We all just assume that because they spent so much time with him that they will know what they think of him, but that is really not true. They will know what they think of him as a college player, but they really may not know what they think of him as a pro. We just assume they do.

You could date a girl for three full years and like and perhaps really love her, and still have little idea if you think she would make a great wife you're betting your adult happiness on, which is basically what Marrone and Hackett will be doing.

This is 100% conjecture, but I think there is a very good chance that Marrone and Hackett really love the kid as a guy and leader, and just don't know themselves if he is good enough to be anything more than a back-up in the NFL. They very likely see the same deficiencies that scouts and some fans do.

I know the answer to your question. Nassib was never the problem. In his three years as a starter, he never had a QB rating below 124.0. The offense changed because the supporting cast matured a bit, got a little better and could finally handle it. The offensive line had a lot of injuries in Nassib's junior year and the defense was not that good. Mackey MacPherson (the former HCs grandson) was a smart and savvy center listed at 6'2" 269. He was more like 6'0 250 lbs. and got abused quite often. None of his receivers were fast either. So, Nassib truly did mask a lot of the uglier aspects of the offense. No Cuse offensive players went to the NFL over the past two years, and only Justin Pugh, their LT, will be joining Nassib in the NFL this year. Nassib was the program and did what he had to do to win games with what he had. He maxed what he could do with what he had around him. I don't think too many realize how bad that team was and the problems they had recruiting. And, I think you'll see it this year when you watch Charley Loeb... a lot of folks are going to turn off the TV real quick.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the answer to your question. Nassib was never the problem. In his three years as a starter, he never had a QB rating below 124.0. The offense changed because the supporting cast matured a bit, got a little better and could finally handle it. The offensive line had a lot of injuries in Nassib's junior year and the defense was not that good. Mackey MacPherson (the former HCs grandson) was a smart and savvy center listed at 6'2" 269. He was more like 6'0 250 lbs. and got abused quite often. None of his receivers were fast either. So, Nassib truly did mask a lot of the uglier aspects of the offense. No Cuse offensive players went to the NFL over the past two years, and only Justin Pugh, their LT, will be joining Nassib in the NFL this year. Nassib was the program and did what he had to do to win games with what he had. He maxed what he could do with what he had around him. I don't think too many realize how bad that team was and the problems they had recruiting. And, I think you'll see it this year when you watch Charley Loeb... a lot of folks are going to turn off the TV real quick.

If that were true, that the supporting cast matured a little bit, why did they wait until two weeks before the season started to completely change the offense? I'm not doubting you one bit, you know them 100x better than I do, I am just curious. That seems strange.

And your reply, which sheds a lot of light and I appreciate, doesn't really answer the question you said you know the answer to. Marrone and Hackett don't automatically think Nassib is going to be a great pro just because he mastered that college offense in half a season. He is SURELY going to be a crappy pro if he doesn't start throwing the ball better downfield than he did in college. And we don't know at all if Marrone/Hackett think this deep ball accuracy/trajectory is a deficiency in his game or he just needs to mature and learn how to throw it better.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Nassib will be a member of the bills come draft day. Hope Nix and staff keep throwing "curveballs" to other teams and media.

Every time someone says this with such certainty, I have the same, canned response:

Can I get tonight's winning lotto numbers while you're at it?

Nassib will be a member of the bills come draft day. Hope Nix and staff keep throwing "curveballs" to other teams and media.

Every time someone says this with such certainty, I have the same, canned response:

exactly.....why why why post this? it reminds me of the guy a couple weeks back that said Fitz will be your starter next year.

i don't understand why there is such huge variance on this thread in regards to Nassib. Some say they have watched him for years and he is terrible, others think he's joe montana 2.0.

lot o doubters, lot o fans.

You'd believe the numbers were legit any more than that nonsense about knowing what the team is going to do?

What's really sad is that about 1/3 of these jokers are going to be (luckily) right, and they will go on a year long "I told you so!" self-lovefest, when even if they are proven to be correct, they didn't know, they just predicted something relatively easy to predict. But they will say, "No. I knew."

You'd believe the numbers were legit any more than that nonsense about knowing what the team is going to do?

What's really sad is that about 1/3 of these jokers are going to be (luckily) right, and they will go on a year long "I told you so!" self-lovefest, when even if they are proven to be correct, they didn't know, they just predicted something relatively easy to predict. But they will say, "No. I knew."

Yes, that's exactly my point...it's dumb. Nobody knows; in fact, nobody has the first clue.

We're all guessing, and to insinuate that you know whether or not Nassib will (a) be on this team, (b) be a good QB, or © even be drafted in the top 2 rounds is asinine.

Asketh and thou shall receive... My crystal ball says tonights winning lotto numbers will be as follows:12,15,32,34,44,78. Thank me later... after Nassib is taken by the bills. My crystal ball also shows the Ralph holding the Lombardi trophy and Nix showing the world a 19-0 baby.

Lets hope its this year!!!

Edited by spillerhighlife

exactly.....why why why post this? it reminds me of the guy a couple weeks back that said Fitz will be your starter next year.

There were numerous people on this board that were convinced that Gailey would be retained as Bills Head Coach.

In his last week of employment with the Bills I must have told at least a handful of people that Gailey was definitely gonna get fired. But these people (and some of the well-respected posters here) were convinced that Gailey would get one more season.

Yes, that's exactly my point...it's dumb. Nobody knows; in fact, nobody has the first clue.

We're all guessing, and to insinuate that you know whether or not Nassib will (a) be on this team, (b) be a good QB, or © even be drafted in the top 2 rounds is asinine.

Anyone who thinks Nassib is a good QB is also going to believe Marrone see's the same thing because he just coached him in College

lol, its not like we're taking a stab in the dark,

Folks are going to rationalize things any way they want...

Edited by dog14787

Anyone who thinks Nassib is a good QB is also going to believe Marrone see's the same thing because he just coached him in College

lol, its not like we're taking a stab in the dark,

Folks are going to rationalize things any way they want...

Rationalizing, hoping, and guessing are all very, very practical IMO...flat out stating that something will happen is quite another.

I know you see the distinction.

Rationalizing, hoping, and guessing are all very, very practical IMO...flat out stating that something will happen is quite another.

I know you see the distinction.

On the same token to act like folks who think we will draft Nassib don't have a clue when theres really a lot of clues that we will, is not very paractical.

I know you see the distinction...

On the same token to act like folks who think we will draft Nassib don't have a clue when theres really a lot of clues that we will, is not very paractical.

I know you see the distinction...

And as long as you can show me where I did such a thing, I'll accept this comment as criticism...but since I didn't, I'm going to tell you that you've got absolutely no place trying to pin that viewpoint on me.

I said, continuously, that stating that the drafting of Nassib by Buffalo as a certainty was folly, as was stating with certainty that that he'll be a quality NFL QB. Nobody knows; it's all conjecture.

Don't put words into my mouth.

Edited by thebandit27

And as long as you can show me where I did such a thing, I'll accept this comment as criticism...but since I didn't, I'm going to tell you that you've got absolutely no place trying to pin that viewpoint on me.

I said, continuously, that stating that the drafting of Nassib by Buffalo as a certainty was folly, as was stating with certainty that that he'll be a quality NFL QB. Nobody knows; it's all conjecture.

Don't put words into my mouth.

I'll let your words do the talking for you :lol:

Every time someone says this with such certainty, I have the same, canned response: Can I get tonight's winning lotto numbers while you're at it?
Yes, that's exactly my point...it's dumb. Nobody knows; in fact, nobody has the first clue. We're all guessing, and to insinuate that you know whether or not Nassib will (a) be on this team, (b) be a good QB, or © even be drafted in the top 2 rounds is asinine.
I'll let your words do the talking for you :lol:

There's no way you're that poor at reading.

I said:

Then, I responded to Kelly's statement of:

By saying:

In fact, I even clarified it (for people like you that like to twist words) by saying:

So, again, feel free to show me where I said that "to act like folks who think we will draft Nassib don't have a clue when theres really a lot of clues that we will, is not very paractical"

[Hint: don't bother looking, I didn't say that]

I realize that you're working really, really, really, really hard to extract something arguable from my statements, but it just isn't there.

Edited by thebandit27

Lets bet 10-1 odds on $1000 that you know what the Bills are going to do. That's like taking candy from a baby. The easiest $1000 you'll ever make.

I say you don't know. You say you do.

Not that I believe you would do this because your a respected poster Kelly, you've been around a long time, but the last fella I had a bet with on here lost and then slipped away into the night.

There's no way you're that poor at reading.I said:Every time someone says this with such certainty, I have the same, canned response:Then, I responded to Kelly's statement of:What's really sad is that about 1/3 of these jokers are going to be (luckily) right, and they will go on a year long "I told you so!" self-lovefest, when even if they are proven to be correct, they didn't know, they just predicted something relatively easy to predict. But they will say, "No. I knew."By saying:We're all guessing, and to insinuate that you know whether or not Nassib will (a) be on this team, (b) be a good QB, or © even be drafted in the top 2 rounds is asinine.In fact, I even clarified it (for people like you that like to twist words) by saying:Rationalizing, hoping, and guessing are all very, very practical IMO...flat out stating that something will happen is quite another.So, again, feel free to show me where I said that "to act like folks who think we will draft Nassib don't have a clue when theres really a lot of clues that we will, is not very paractical"[Hint: don't bother looking, I didn't say that]I realize that you're working really, really, really, really hard to extract something arguable from my statements, but it just isn't there.

lol, Im not working hard at all

Edited by dog14787

Not that I believe you would do this because your a respected poster Kelly, you've been around a long time, but the last fella I had a bet with on here lost and then slipped away into the night.

We both put our money in a cashier's check and give it to an agreed upon poster here. You put up $10K and I put up $1K and the winner takes it all. If I "knew" what was going to happen, I would gladly give you 10-1 odds. It's a sure thing.