Free Agents Left

I agree with everything you're saying (and I would add Devery Henderson to the list - he can stretch the field and he knows Marrone's offense cold). However, I think (based on pure conjecture and nothing else) that the Bills have determined that their aggressive spending the last two years got them nowhere, and so they've decided to save some cash this season while they rebuild. I just can't come up with any other explanation for their complete lack of activity with so many holes on the roster. The Bills are now safely under the cap, and I would not be surprised if they keep most of that surplus this year instead of reinvesting it in their roster.

if that was the case though, why designate Fitzpatrick's 7millions cap hit portion for NEXT year? why not take the hit this year if they did not plan on spending it anyway? only 2 possibilities i can think of.

1.) they do still plan on adding someone expensive; if not thru FA then a trade for someone like Flynn, or...

2.) just a built-in excuse not to spend more next season by saying they've got dead money hurting them.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey boys... Brad Jones (ILB/Packers) is still available. 77 tackles/2 sacks last season and only 26 years old. It would seem he'd come at a reasonable salary. Low risk... high reward?

Just sayin.

Good catch, Brad Jones is on my list of three who make sense whether we are in compete now mode or complete rebuild mode the other two being Sebastian Vollmer and Darrius Heyward-Bey

I agree with everything you're saying (and I would add Devery Henderson to the list - he can stretch the field and he knows Marrone's offense cold). However, I think (based on pure conjecture and nothing else) that the Bills have determined that their aggressive spending the last two years got them nowhere, and so they've decided to save some cash this season while they rebuild. I just can't come up with any other explanation for their complete lack of activity with so many holes on the roster. The Bills are now safely under the cap, and I would not be surprised if they keep most of that surplus this year instead of reinvesting it in their roster.

They still need to wipe their mistakes by cutting Brad Smith and may be Ryan Lindell.

if that was the case though, why designate Fitzpatrick's 7millions cap hit portion for NEXT year? why not take the hit this year if they did not plan on spending it anyway? only 2 possibilities i can think of.

1.) they do still plan on adding someone expensive; if not thru FA then a trade for someone like Flynn, or...

2.) just a built-in excuse not to spend more next season by saying they've got dead money hurting them.

Well, as I understand the cap rules, they can roll over their unallocated cap space to the following year. From last year to this one, they rolled over almost $10 mil, despite the spending spree.

So, if they know that they aren't going to spend right up to the cap this year, that space will still be there next year. Basically, if they don't use that $7 mil this year, they still have it to effectively wash the hit next year.

All in all, it doesn't seem to hurt them any more or less by pushing the bigger hit to next year. If anything, it gives them more wiggle room this year, if they want to use it. And like I said, if they don't use it this year, it doesn't disappear, they can still use that space next year to eat the rest of Fitz's cap hit.

Another way to think of it is a no-interest loan; Why pay it back before you have to if you *might* want to use your available money before hand?

They don't have anything to gain by paying it back early if you use that analogy.

Edited by uncle flap

They'll draft Warmack, TJ will be the QB, and he'll mostly hand off to CJ & FJ all season long. They'll get Warmack for considerably less than they would have spent to keep AL here, and they'll have money to sign Byrd & Woodsie, whom we couldn't sign if they had broken the bank for AL.

Well, as I understand the cap rules, they can roll over their unallocated cap space to the following year. From last year to this one, they rolled over almost $10 mil, despite the spending spree.

So, if they know that they aren't going to spend right up to the cap this year, that space will still be there next year. Basically, if they don't use that $7 mil this year, they still have it to effectively wash the hit next year.

All in all, it doesn't seem to hurt them any more or less by pushing the bigger hit to next year. If anything, it gives them more wiggle room this year, if they want to use it. And like I said, if they don't use it this year, it doesn't disappear, they can still use that space next year to eat the rest of Fitz's cap hit.

Another way to think of it is a no-interest loan; Why pay it back before you have to if you *might* want to use your available money before hand?

They don't have anything to gain by paying it back early if you use that analogy.

yes, i thought of that, but was under the [mistaken, apparently] impression you could not keep rolling it over year after year. you can, so i guess it make sense. i do think this year's FA pool was pretty impressive an deep however, so still not sure about saving it. seems like yer just more likely to waste more money on mediocre players if you acquire too much at once. we shall see.

oh, and Brad Jones has been signed soooo... cross another off the list.