Steven Jackson - Bills need another RB

Ridley has shown success only when Brady was his QB. Let him leave the Pats and see what he does

By this logic, shouldn't every starting running back the Pats have used during the Brady era been a top-level producer? With the exception of Corey Dillon's 2004 season, the year Ridley just had was better than every No. 1 RB the Pats have used during their run from 2001 to now. The rest of ther starting backs have been mediocre during that time frame. Brady's presence didn't elevate any of them to special heights - certainly not to the heights Ridley reached in 2012.

Edited by Barry Zuckerkorn

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, you have met him, so you must be right. I'm sure you guys are best buddies. I'm sure he would recognize you if you somehow ran into him again. Let's defer to this guy on any future Stephen Jackson conversation-he met him.

yes, I'm sure every aging star in the league wants to finish his career in Buffalo. Certainly the best place to finally get that shot at a championship.

i don't use do this, but your an @$$hole. I was simply stating my opinion of him as well as basing up factual stats that he has had over 8 straight years of 1,000 yards or more. I also pointed out that he was on some very bad teams.

And yes, he probably wouldn't recognize me if he saw me, but I'm sure I could get him to remember me after about a 30 second conversation.

Again, your an @$$hole.

He is a better back then any of the backs the Pats have had in a long time, cept for Dillon. But, who have the Pats had that was a runner? Sammy Morris? Faulk? Come on... And having the a balanced defense that is quick and ready to defend the pass gives up the run - as seen against the Bills.

He is a better back then any of the backs the Pats have had in a long time, cept for Dillon. But, who have the Pats had that was a runner? Sammy Morris? Faulk? Come on... And having the a balanced defense that is quick and ready to defend the pass gives up the run - as seen against the Bills.

Laurence Maroney was talented; hence the reason he was a first-round pick. He didn't do anything close to what Ridley just did last season. Your argument went from "Brady makes Ridley" to "Brady hasn't been able to make other guys because they weren't as good as Ridley." At least you acknowledged that Ridley actually is good, I guess.

Edited by Barry Zuckerkorn

Steven Jackson. Oh God...PLEASE don't go to the Patriots. Frankly, I love Steven Jackson.....and I dont want to hate em. If he goes to NE its gonna just kill me.

Obviously we have needs to address and RB isn't one of em. I like Steven so much I almost wish we did need a RB !! LOL !!

I wish him well wherever he ends up. He's one of those guys that just makes this game great.

jb

Steven Jackson. Oh God...PLEASE don't go to the Patriots. Frankly, I love Steven Jackson.....and I dont want to hate em. If he goes to NE its gonna just kill me.

Obviously we have needs to address and RB isn't one of em. I like Steven so much I almost wish we did need a RB !! LOL !!

I wish him well wherever he ends up. He's one of those guys that just makes this game great.

jb

well said

I don't understand comparing him to AP in a positive sense just to knock Ridley for a fumble in the Championship game.

Knocking Ridley for playing with Brady is like knocking him for taking a big hit and fumbling in the AFCC game. Ridiculous.

Okay. I guess I was being a bit too oblique. How's this:

Steven Jackson has averaged one fumble for every 133 carries.

Stevan Ridley has averaged one fumble for every 75 carries.

Is that better?

St. Louis is letting him go because they know he isn't starting material any longer and needs to share the load. He wants to start and wants starters money, he wouldn't be happy splitting time behind our starter CJ spiller.

It had to do with playing time but had zero to do with money. Jackson had a players option for this year and could have stayed with the Rams for a guaranteed $7 million but asked the Rams to let him go.

It had zero to do with money and everything to do with being a starter and a main cog.

Like I said earlier while questioning an ironclad statement that Ridley is better than Jackson, Jackson is a warrior.

“It would be more of a running back by committee kind of agreement [with the Rams] going forward,” Jackson said. “I embrace the fact that I took in Daryl [Richardson] and Isaiah Pead and taught them a lot and hopefully they’ll go on to not only excel, but be very good athletes and good professionals in this league. But for where I’m at going into year 10, I’m not ready to step back and just become a primary backup or reduced role guy, to be a part of a running back by committee. I still have a lot left in my tank. I still have a lot to offer a team. We’re not talking about someone that is in year 12 or 13. But I understand. I understand the business side of it. I still have a great relationship with the organization and one day I’ll be going back there.

Yeah I'll take the great Steven Jackson over some unproven kid.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Is that better?

It had to do with playing time but had zero to do with money. Jackson had a players option for this year and could have stayed with the Rams for a guaranteed $7 million but asked the Rams to let him go.

It had zero to do with money and everything to do with being a starter and a main cog.

Like I said earlier while questioning an ironclad statement that Ridley is better than Jackson, Jackson is a warrior.

“It would be more of a running back by committee kind of agreement [with the Rams] going forward,” Jackson said. “I embrace the fact that I took in Daryl [Richardson] and Isaiah Pead and taught them a lot and hopefully they’ll go on to not only excel, but be very good athletes and good professionals in this league. But for where I’m at going into year 10, I’m not ready to step back and just become a primary backup or reduced role guy, to be a part of a running back by committee. I still have a lot left in my tank. I still have a lot to offer a team. We’re not talking about someone that is in year 12 or 13. But I understand. I understand the business side of it. I still have a great relationship with the organization and one day I’ll be going back there.

Yeah I'll take the great Steven Jackson over some unproven kid.

The problem is its a running back by committee league these days given the emphasis on passing and defensive sophistication where good ones can shut down one dimensional offenses. Problem with a back like SJ is that you feel obligated to give it to him 25-30x / game, even if it's not working. No way pats sign up for that, being the ultimate RB by committee team.

League realities and a potential for rapid decline given age and wear, will keep smart GMs from paying top dollar. I'd be surprised if he gets a better deal than he's leaving on the table; rams are the smart one here IMO

By this logic, shouldn't every starting running back the Pats have used during the Brady era been a top-level producer? With the exception of Corey Dillon's 2004 season, the year Ridley just had was better than every No. 1 RB the Pats have used during their run from 2001 to now. The rest of ther starting backs have been mediocre during that time frame. Brady's presence didn't elevate any of them to special heights - certainly not to the heights Ridley reached in 2012.

Yet it's not like Ridley led them to hardware, and Antowain Smith has a ring. So, there's that. So do Kevin Faulk and Corey Dillon.

The problem is its a running back by committee league these days given the emphasis on passing and defensive sophistication where good ones can shut down one dimensional offenses. Problem with a back like SJ is that you feel obligated to give it to him 25-30x / game, even if it's not working. No way pats sign up for that, being the ultimate RB by committee team.

League realities and a potential for rapid decline given age and wear, will keep smart GMs from paying top dollar. I'd be surprised if he gets a better deal than he's leaving on the table; rams are the smart one here IMO

I personally think Jackson is crazy for walking away from $7 million of his own volition. But it also makes me respect him even more than I already did because Steven Jackson is the one guy who can actually say "It's not about the money."

You know he's doing this because of a personal ethic.

But don't sell him short as a player. I would not underestimate Steven Jackson, especially when he's very motivated. Besides his formidable rushing stats, he has 407 receptions (45.5 per season) and is also an awesome pass blocker and all-around warrior.

Jeff Fisher said that Steven Jackson is the Ray Lewis of the Rams offense.

That's a helluva compliment.

Don't you think if they really thought that much of him they'd find a way to keep him? I think the kind words are because they think he's a classy guy as you say and owed some respect for past services. But their true measure of value - interest - they're letting him go without effort to keep him. Also rams are an improving franchise and with fishcher in his 2nd they'll have a chance at playoffs. The list of "contenders" ahead of them is not so long.

Don't you think if they really thought that much of him they'd find a way to keep him? I think the kind words are because they think he's a classy guy as you say and owed some respect for past services. But their true measure of value - interest - they're letting him go without effort to keep him. Also rams are an improving franchise and with fishcher in his 2nd they'll have a chance at playoffs. The list of "contenders" ahead of them is not so long.

I think the Rams were happy to grant his wish to leave.

They're a rebuilding team off the hook for his big contract.

His path and theirs have diverged.

Jackson wants to win a championship, and he probably figures he has two years left.

His best chance to win is not in St. Louis. They're two years away and in the same division as San Francisco and Seattle.

Aside from the money Jackson walked away from, the parting was best for both sides.

Jackson's gonna be a great addition to some team with championship aspirations.

He's a win-now player.

Reality time.

Q: Why rent a 30 plus back for a year or so for way more $$$ than it costs to develop a young on a team a team that's in transition?

A: Because, it's stupid... and Bills fans prefer stupid so they can B word when it doesn't work... because it was stupid in the first place.

Is that better?

Those are meaningless stats. Most young RBs struggle with ball security early and often. The question really isn't was Steven Jackson an awesome RB. Of course he was. But a 30 year old RB of any stature simply will not be coveted the way a promising young RB on his rookie contract will on a playoff team that has been riding close to the salary cap. I am with you that SJ in the right situation this year could easily be a key piece for a playoff contender. However, Ridley is just getting started, and his Championship game performance easily eclipses AP's first Championship game if we are talking about fumbles, yet the young AP has continued to grow from that into a true monster despite injury. Ridley is likely to grow from his experience as well in his own way. Putting it in perspective I am so happy we get to watch Spiller play for the Bills.