Don Banks Post Combine Mock - Geno Smith

Bronc24

I'm a little biased because I like Geno...

But I think the Bills are in a VERY unique position in this Draft compared to almost any other team...Not only do they have a piss poor starter, but they are a Franchise that has ignored the QB position in the Draft since Trent Edwards in 2007 (Yes, I'm not counting Levi Brown at #209 overall)...So the Bills not only have poor starting talent, they have no developmental young depth either...

I think due to those facts, if the Bills have an opportunity to take the guy who some Scouts feel is clearly the #1 QB in the 2013 Draft, they have to take him... Geno has huge upside...He's a thrower 1st, but he has unique athletic ability for a QB...He's got all the tools you want in an NFL QB...He loves football and is a real hard worker...Despite his well documented struggles at times, he put up crazy good numbers...You simply cannot ignore some of his numbers, especially the 71.2% completions as a Sr...If Maronne and Hackett are as good as we all hope they are, I have no doubt they can turn Geno into a decent NFL QB...

As far as Drafted QB's go I agree 100% with Eli Manning when he basically said the situation you enter into (what team, the coaches, the talent around you) is the key component to success or failure in the NFL long-term...So I also realize all to well that based on this Franchises recent history, Geno is at risk to be a bust in Buffalo...It could happen no question...Some Scouts do worry that Geno hangs his head a bit too much when things are going bad...But at this point of Bills history, I think the potential rewards far outweigh the risks...

I just don't see how The Bills could pass Geno at #8...But this is a Buddy Nix run Football operation...So...We'll see... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Seriously?

Nov-Dec he had

67% completion pct.

16 TDs vs 4 INTs

7.9 YPA

He led the offense to over 30 points in 5 of the 8 games you're referring to. 49 in the game against a clearly better Oklahoma team.

When will this lunacy stop?

Yea I'm calling shenanigans on what he was claiming about Geno looking horrible.

Seriously?

Nov-Dec he had

67% completion pct.

16 TDs vs 4 INTs

7.9 YPA

He led the offense to over 30 points in 5 of the 8 games you're referring to. 49 in the game against a clearly better Oklahoma team.

When will this lunacy stop?

Maybe around the same time people stop bringing up USC's QB history as if it's somehow relevant to what kind of QB Barkley will or won't be.

The only way we can possibly pass on geno is if the gameplan is to tank next season so we can draft one of the more talented QBs next year. That's most likely not the case. If he's there, he has to be a Bill, unless they like another QB more. Looking at this class, I can't see that happening. Great arm with good mobility. He's at least twice as good as fritz,

Maybe around the same time people stop bringing up USC's QB history as if it's somehow relevant to what kind of QB Barkley will or won't be.

That's how some morons think. Don't let it frustrate you. Just be happy that you have some common sense, and don't think a QBs future is dependent on where he went to college. Sad that some people can be so closed minded, but it is what it is.

That's a fair statement. I think what you can bring up about USC is that their recruiting power gives a QB weapons (and protection) that aren't at hand for a lot of college QBs, and that the polish there might indicate a lower ceiling. In other words, WYSIWYG. But you make a fair point, and these players are really individuals on their own trajectories, in the same way that Aaron Rodgers shouldn't have been unfairly branded based on the history of Tedford-groomed QBs.

• 1 month later...