OT- iPod

Anyone have it? What are your thoughts on this one. What do you like about it and what could be better? What is nice about the other iPods (assuming you own a different one rather than this one).

I'm a huge U2 fan, so I'd view this as a collectors item too. thansk for your responses.

If it's more expensive, its not worth it.

It's just a black version.

However, the back is still silver (chrome almost).

As anyone with an iPod will tell you, it scratches INCREDIBLY easy.

If your getting it for a collectors item, you basically won't be able to use it. (I swear, no matter how careful, it will get scratched within 5 minutes).

But, if you're a HUGE U2 fan, and its the same price, why not?

But I really see no reason to pay more money.

If your getting it for a collectors item, you basically won't be able to use it. (I swear, no matter how careful, it will get scratched within 5 minutes).

196437[/snapback]

I'd probably get the case to go along with it in order to prevent scratching. Agreed on the pricing. If it's more, I'll get the regular one and use the savings to downlaod all their songs.

196437[/snapback]

Yeah the back gets scratched y air almost - must be tiny dust particles in the open air the scratch the crap put of the chrome back.

The U2 ipod gives you a voucher for tons of U2 downloads from iTunes.. do if you are into U2 and want their music again then go for it.

I like the regular white ipod better - but thats cos it looks cooler to me. There are a bunch of great things about ipods. They look cool. The let you have all of your music with you at all times. oh thats it - but I can;t live without mine now!

Get an iTrip to go with your ipod - they plug in to the headphone socket to give you FM radio output so you can tuine your car steroe to the ipod without pissing about with a heap of wires.......

Oh, and if you have a home stero system (and why wouldnt you? :w00t: ) get a Y-cable.

It goes into the headphone jack of the iPod, and the other end is split (hence the Y) and are the red and white RCA jacks (the audio ones). Then, set your iPod on Random, and you have hours of tunes at your house. It is my favorite thing about the iPod. Oh, and it costs about $6. :lol:

Any reason why you have to get an iPod? There are plenty of other capable MP3 players out there that cost a fraction of what an iPod costs. For example, Dell makes the DJ; I bought the 20G version in October for $159, and it's awesome; it has a better batterylife (~15 hours) and the size/weight is similar. The only downside is that the interface isn't quite as cool looking; for the money, I'll deal with it :w00t:

Creative makes one, as well as others.

In my opinion, the only reason to buy an iPod is for the status symbol (everyone knows what they look like), or if you really just don't like the interface of the other players.

CW

Oh, and if you have a home stero system (and why wouldnt you? :w00t: ) get a Y-cable.

It goes into the headphone jack of the iPod, and the other end is split (hence the Y) and are the red and white RCA jacks (the audio ones). Then, set your iPod on Random, and you have hours of tunes at your house. It is my favorite thing about the iPod.  Oh, and it costs about $6. :lol:

196442[/snapback]

I got my fiance a mini-ipod for x-mas. She got me a Zen Micro. We have a PC (Dell). Will we both be able to access our music library on the Dell hard drive (Dell Musicmatch jukebox)? Will there be compatability issues. I'm not Mac-savy.

I got my fiance a mini-ipod for x-mas. She got me a Zen Micro.  We have a PC (Dell).  Will we both be able to access our music library on the Dell hard drive (Dell Musicmatch jukebox)?  Will there be compatability issues.  I'm not Mac-savy.

196447[/snapback]

No compatibility issues as ipod will want to use Musicmmatch or iTunes... - it just a case of pointing your intercace at your music library and away you go....

Any reason why you have to get an iPod?  There are plenty of other capable MP3 players out there that cost a fraction of what an iPod costs.  For example, Dell makes the DJ; I bought the 20G version in October for $159, and it's awesome; it has a better batterylife (~15 hours)  and  the size/weight is similar.  The only downside is that the interface isn't quite as cool looking; for the money, I'll deal with it :lol:

Creative makes one, as well as others.

In my opinion, the only reason to buy an iPod is for the status symbol (everyone knows what they look like), or if you really just don't like the interface of the other players.

CW

196446[/snapback]

Many people hail 'other' MP3 players... But none of them come close to the ipod in terms of making you an easy target for mugging....... :w00t:

No compatibility issues as ipod will want to use Musicmmatch or iTunes... - it just a case of pointing your intercace at your music library and away you go....

196451[/snapback]

Thanks Nick. That's the only thing I was really worried about.

I have a Creative Zen Micro -

I LOVE it ... 5 Gigs, USB 2.0, VERY LOUD, clean sound, cool looking display...ETC...

Great reviews as well - go to www.cnet.com.

CYA

196452[/snapback]

Zen Micro has great reviews from all the magazines over here. But as far as a likely icon of the decade, can you afford NOT to have an ipod?

In years to come your grandkids will judge you on whether you had one or not.....

Zen Micro has great reviews from all the magazines over here. But as far as a likely icon of the decade, can you afford NOT to have an ipod?

In years to come your grandkids will judge you on whether you had one or not.....

196455[/snapback]

Naw, iPod will just become a general term like Kleenex and Xerox. :w00t:

BTW, I liked your mugging comment :lol:

CW

I tried the Creative Nomad (it was my first MP3 player). The amount of times i wanted to pull the hair out of my head getting ONE song labeled, catergorized and DL onto it made me return it and buck up for the iPod.

Honestly, for how easy it is to use, and how it labels all you songs, catergorizes them, and DLs them, the iPod is worth a few extra bucks.

Honestly, if you put a CD in drive, and open iTunes, it goes online and DLs all the song titles, artists, and album. Then push ONE button and it puts them on the iPod, in the correct forlder if you already have songs from that band...

Save a few bucks buying something else, but take the extra money and buy some asprin.

What's particularly cool about IPod is the aftermarket stuff coming out for it. For example, Monster Cable is launching "ICruze" with allows you to plug your IPod directly into your car stereo with a cable and punch up songs using your car's CD changer controls.

I don't think anyone else's player has that going for them.

I just bought the Creative MuVo N200 ($190 on Amazon)....it has 1GB of flash memory (no hard disks), is the size of a cigarette lighter, runs on 1 AAA battery, and best of all, there's no software needed. Just plug into a USB port and drag and drop files.

I tried the Creative Nomad (it was my first MP3 player). The amount of times i wanted to pull the hair out of my head getting ONE song labeled, catergorized and DL onto it made me return it and buck up for the iPod.

Honestly, for how easy it is to use, and how it labels all you songs, catergorizes them, and DLs them, the iPod is worth a few extra bucks.

Honestly, if you put a CD in drive, and open iTunes, it goes online and DLs all the song titles, artists, and album. Then push ONE button and it puts them on the iPod, in the correct forlder if you already have songs from that band...

Save a few bucks buying something else, but take the extra money and buy some asprin.

196464[/snapback]

I love ipod.

But there are plenty of other MP3 players that come with software that does exactly that. You can even get similar results with Media Player... That said - iTunes is a breeze to use, and Musicmatch is just as good, especially if you don't plan on using the Music Store feature of iTunes too often.

BTW - I think it is a little TOO easy to buy music on iTunes Music store.... Where do I take the song back to if I hate it??

196464[/snapback]

Can't talk on the Creative, but I know the Dell DJ is easy. Plug it in, install the software, and it turns the DJ into another drive in Windows (don't know about Macs). Then to put music on the device, just drag and drop your MP3s.

Don't forget that iTunes Music Store uses DRM and limits what you can do with the music.

CW