The 53 Year Anniversary Bills Wall of Shame Awards

Meathead

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to nominate Dennis Shaw at QB, Bobby Barnett at RB, Gary Bugenhagen at G and Mack Yoho at K. Especially Shaw and Barnett who had shown so very much promise their rookie years, and then nothing, nada, zip.

I always thought Shaw's big rookie season was due to the great catches that Marlin Briscoe made on the numerous jump balls Shaw threw. Briscoe was an amazing receiver. I believe one of Shaw's passes actually flew south for the winter.

BTW, did you ever hear that they were going to trade Dennis Shaw for Linda Lovelace. Can you guess the punchline?

Thanks, I really enjoyed that. For some reason I remember the 11 o'clock news from that time talking about Rutkowski's start. I think it was that brief time Ernie Warlick was doing the sports.

I have only been able to find one other quarterback in Bills history (besides Darragh) who was ranked below Marangi and it is not one of the early ones like Warren Rabb (8,597) or Richie Lucas (8,958) but the much more recent Brian Brohm (14,559).

FYI - Kelly is 126, Ferguson 386, Kemp at 637

Guys Richie Lucas was a number one draft choice before the leagues were merged there were less than half the number of teams that were drafting. He was also a Heisman nominee. You can't bust much bigger than he did.

Dennis Shaw was bad but not as bad as D.D. not even close. We need to replace Paul Guidry too, he was bad at times but was like the Kelsey of the time, team guy showed flashes at times,stuck around for years, how about Lucius Sanford ? I really liked the guy when we got him (saw him in camp or some sort of practice thing) and he was just rotten. Tally played the other side that year and I was excited about our OLBs. I was 1/2 right lol. wow looking at the roster of the 84 team, 1/2 of them they could be in here.

Edited by bowery4

Lucius wasn't that bad.

He was a bit undersized but he had a way of uncoiling on his tackles and really jolting guys.

I remember when Knox came in and he set up a competition between Lucius and Isiah Robertson who Knox had coached with the Rams.

Robertson won the competition of course but my recollection is that Lucius Sanford was a pretty decent player.

You're probably right though that we can find someone more/less deserving than Paul Guidry.

I remember Guidry being linebacker mates with an aging Mike Stratton and Edgar Chandler in the middle.

Lucius wasn't that bad.

He was a bit undersized but he had a way of uncoiling on his tackles and really jolting guys.

I remember when Knox came in and he set up a competition between Lucius and Isiah Robertson who Knox had coached with the Rams.

Robertson won the competition of course but my recollection is that Lucius Sanford was a pretty decent player.

You're probably right though that we can find someone more/less deserving than Paul Guidry.

I remember Guidry being linebacker mates with an aging Mike Stratton and Edgar Chandler in the middle.

I really was disappointed at the time he was an over commitment fiend, in my recollection. I barely remember him tackling anyone, now I have to look him up was he here 2 years even?

Edit my mistake The Buffalo Bills Alumni Spotlight says, "Lucius Sanford, an outside linebacker with Buffalo for nine seasons, had a tendency to hit running backs head-on, lift them off their feet and plant their backs on the field. Offensive linemen had 'pancake blocks', Sanford had 'pancake tackles."

Lol, I just remember his first year, stopped watching for a while until 87.

Edited by bowery4

actually i remember that too. very serious physical presence

Guess we will agree to dis agree on ole Kurt. To me, dude was horrible in coverage, could not tackle a RB or Running WR, could only hit someone in the air cause of an overthrow, with their back to him.

Did he make the occasional big hit..yes . But to me that was all you got out of him.

Guess we will agree to dis agree on ole Kurt. To me, dude was horrible in coverage, could not tackle a RB or Running WR, could only hit someone in the air cause of an overthrow, with their back to him.

Did he make the occasional big hit..yes . But to me that was all you got out of him.

Regardless, he's far from the worst safety to wear the Bills uni.

You're right though on Guidry. I nominated him but he wasn't really that bad.

I'm sure we can find someone better/worse.

One of the worst recently was Keith Ellison. He was undersized and seemed to always being run over. One sure sign is that he never played for another team when the Bills finally gave up

You're right though on Guidry. I nominated him but he wasn't really that bad.

I'm sure we can find someone better/worse.

well we need to come up with somebody then

i suppose we could go with ellison, who had a shorter career. i kinda liked having guidrey in there simply bc we have so few of the older players in our list. i think we could come up with somebody worse than ellison but for now i suppose we should go with him

well we need to come up with somebody then

i suppose we could go with ellison, who had a shorter career. i kinda liked having guidrey in there simply bc we have so few of the older players in our list. i think we could come up with somebody worse than ellison but for now i suppose we should go with him

Ellison would be a good placeholder until we unearth a smaller lump of coal.

Merv Krakau? Jim Cheyunski? John Skorupan?

Kraukau and Chey were MLBs. Can't remember which position Skorupan played although I remember he was from "Linebacker U" aka Penn State. I think the Bills drafted Doug Allen the following year who was also a Nittany Lion and who became the NFLPA President for some years.

Cheyunski was undersized but quite a good little linebacker. Kraukau seemed mediocre and I think Skorupan was decent.

Doug Allen sucked pretty bad. Maybe he's our guy. A second rounder who only played two years and only started 8 games:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleDo20.htm

PFR says allen was a LILB. too bad he wasnt an OLB then he could replace ellison, but i suppose he could replace brandon spoon on the inside

That's weird Meathead.

I don't recall the Bills of that era playing a 3-4 defense.

I wish more of the old timers would help out. It's been a long time.