10 years ago today - Space Shuttle Columbia is lost over Texas

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Not all of it.

I remember fully where I was, when I learned of it. I had woke up early for no reason and was sitting on my bed and just happened to turn on the TV.

Somehow, the biggest thing I will remember of it was the prank call that it was one of Bababooey's teeth.

It's been 10 years and they've not found it yet?

And never will. They only recovered about 55% of Challenger as well. He'll, pieces of it still wash up on the beach from time to time. A good bit of Columbia burned up, it was about 120,000 feet when she began final breakup of structural integrity.

An interesting factoid on the debris from Challenger is that it is still essentially rotting away inside that old ICBM silo on the cape. The silo is filled likely filled with water and would be nearly impossible to get anything out. Columbia, on the other hand was used for detailed engineering analysis, and is stored in an upper bay of the VAB. It's almost as if NASA is ashamed of Challenger...

And never will. They only recovered about 55% of Challenger as well. He'll, pieces of it still wash up on the beach from time to time. A good bit of Columbia burned up, it was about 120,000 feet when she began final breakup of structural integrity.

An interesting factoid on the debris from Challenger is that it is still essentially rotting away inside that old ICBM silo on the cape. The silo is filled likely filled with water and would be nearly impossible to get anything out. Columbia, on the other hand was used for detailed engineering analysis, and is stored in an upper bay of the VAB. It's almost as if NASA is ashamed of Challenger...

I had never heard that before, about the Challenger. Quite interesting. I have never been a huge NASA fan.

As they should be. Do you have a link for this story? I'm very interested in NASA history and flight in general. As for STS-107, it seems like yesterday. I literally saw it live. Was up ad watching CNN in my apartment in pembroke meadows, penfield, ny when it happened. Very tragic event. This event really marks a bookend in my life too. Soon after the Columbia disaster, we (my fiancé at the time) decided to visit our friends in nc. We moved here 4 months later. Now, 10 years later with 20 years teaching experience, 1 marriage weekend, 1 house, and a healthy 3 year old in tow, STS-107 was the end of my time in Rochester and the beginning of my adult life.

RIP

As they should be. Do you have a link for this story? I'm very interested in NASA history and flight in general. As for STS-107, it seems like yesterday. I literally saw it live. Was up ad watching CNN in my apartment in pembroke meadows, penfield, ny when it happened. Very tragic event. This event really marks a bookend in my life too. Soon after the Columbia disaster, we (my fiancé at the time) decided to visit our friends in nc. We moved here 4 months later. Now, 10 years later with 20 years teaching experience, 1 marriage weekend, 1 house, and a healthy 3 year old in tow, STS-107 was the end of my time in Rochester and the beginning of my adult life.

RIP

There are a few pics on the net showing them placing the debris in the silo at the cape. Not sure how to do it on an ipad, but the link below is one of the more famous pics of the debris being placed in the silo. Much of the info I get comes from people either working in the program itself or at the Cape, but if you want to know just about everything about Shuttle, check out NASAspaceflight forums. Those guys are the real deal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ChallengerRemains.jpg

Edited by TheMadCap

It's been 10 years and they've not found it yet?

Not all of it.

Wasn't it just a year or two ago that they found another big piece of it? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

EDIT: Found an article - http://www.npr.org/2...d-in-texas-lake

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/02/has-texas-drought-exposed-shuttle-columbia-piece/

I remember fully where I was, when I learned of it. I had woke up early for no reason and was sitting on my bed and just happened to turn on the TV.

I remember being in my apartment, and there was some show I was going to watch, so I turned on the TV, and they just happened to be talking about it then, even showing some of the video of the pieces burning up in the sky.

Wasn't it just a year or two ago that they found another big piece of it? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

EDIT: Found an article - http://www.npr.org/2...d-in-texas-lake

http://www.foxnews.c...columbia-piece/

I remember being in my apartment, and there was some show I was going to watch, so I turned on the TV, and they just happened to be talking about it then, even showing some of the video of the pieces burning up in the sky.

They will be finding pieces of it forever. It is impossible to collect all of them, hell, much of it burned up, so they can never find the entire ship...