The Onion: Jerry Jones joins the action!

Orton's Arm

DALLAS—Claiming he wanted to “go get himself” a closer look at the action, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wandered out onto the field during his team’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday, joining huddles, advising players, and berating officials. . . .

Team sources confirmed that Jones first left the owner’s box and sauntered out into the field of play in the second quarter, brashly shouting encouragements during a Cowboys possession that made its way into the red zone. Jones then reportedly became increasingly involved in the course of play, pointing out potential blitzers, calling an audible for the Cowboys’ offense, and discussing a contract extension with running back DeMarco Murray during a three-yard rush up the middle.

For the full article, go here.

“We’ve gotten pretty used to Jerry always being around during team meetings or postgame showers,” said quarterback Tony Romo, who twice was helped up off the ground by a congratulatory Jones. “But I have to say, having him stand next to me, talking my ear off, when I was back in the shotgun waiting for the snap was definitely a new one.”

“It’s his team, though,” Romo added. “He can do what he wants.”

Jones then reportedly became increasingly involved in the course of play, pointing out potential blitzers, calling an audible for the Cowboys’ offense, and discussing a contract extension with running back DeMarco Murray during a three-yard rush up the middle.

“None of us really knew how to respond, but he was being really annoying,” rookie Cowboys defensive back Morris Claiborne said. “He kept trying to show me the ‘correct’ way to bump receivers and was constantly telling guys on defense to fake injuries when he needed a rest.”