Yankees, Johnson reach $32M, 2-year deal

erynthered

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a salary cap that wouldn't matter.  You can only afford so many superstars.

Right now you are allowed to go out and sign whoever you want for however much you want.

195809[/snapback]

And they still haven't won in five years. The money only ensures that they get to the post-season, not that they'll win it. The Yankees are NOT bad for baseball. You think the Devil Rays are bummed that the Yankees come to town 9 times?

Picture this: Salary cap is set at $90 Million.

"Randy Johnson, we want you to be a Yankee, we are your best cahnce at a World Series. We can only pay your $2 Million a year though"

"Randy, Detroit Tigers here. We have about $11 million to spend. Forget our outfield - we want YOU."

Pretty sure old Randy would turn Orange and Blue in about two seconds.

195810[/snapback]

That wouldn't happen Steve. If the salary cap was set at 90 million then there is no way in hell that one player would be offered 11 million. That's my point. Being able to don the pinstripes and be a Yankee would still attract superstars. Everybody is going to be on the same sheet so you don't think players would want to be a part of the history and tradition of the Yankees? I do. Just my opinion though. But I would still support a salary cap. The Yankees were winning long before I was born and long before GS was born too so I feel confident they would continue to do so.

If there was a salary cap not everyone would want to go to spankees sorry. Its the money that attracts everyone not PRESTIGE!! And if there was a salary cap the Chokees would go down because GS would want to still do the business and he sucks without being able to dishout money. Maybe if he let cashman run the team then with a salary cap they will still be good but not if GS still wants to run the team. GS is bad for baseball period!!

If there was a salary cap not everyone would want to go to spankees sorry. Its the money that attracts everyone not PRESTIGE!! And if there was a salary cap the Chokees would go down because GS would want to still do the business and he sucks without being able to dishout money. Maybe if he let cashman run the team then with a salary cap they will still be good but not if GS still wants to run the team. GS is bad for baseball period!!

195827[/snapback]

:lol::D You are funny. Another Boston fan who refuses to enjoy this year because it will be the last one for a long time. :D Already making up excuses for next year..... Reread your post. Makes no sense. :D

:lol:  :D You are funny. Another Boston fan who refuses to enjoy this year because it will be the last one for a long time.  :D  Already making up excuses for next year..... Reread your post. Makes no sense.  :D

195831[/snapback]

And he still needs to call them the Chokees too...very sad.

That wouldn't happen Steve. If the salary cap was set at 90 million then there is no way in hell that one player would be offered 11 million. That's my point. Being able to don the pinstripes and be a Yankee would still attract superstars. Everybody is going to be on the same sheet so you don't think players would want to be a part of the history and tradition of the Yankees? I do. Just my opinion though. But I would still support a salary cap. The Yankees were winning long before I was born and long before GS was born too so I feel confident they would continue to do so.

195823[/snapback]

So, since football has a salary cap, wouldn't that mean that the more prestigous teams such as Dallas, San Fran, and Green Bay would be signing the biggest free agents each year? I don't see it working that way. Players go for the cash and the chance to play.

Although if it did work as you describe with any team in American professional sports then the Yanks would certainly be at the top of that list.

:lol:  :D You are funny. Another Boston fan who refuses to enjoy this year because it will be the last one for a long time.  :D  Already making up excuses for next year..... Reread your post. Makes no sense.  :D

195831[/snapback]

You'd think they would be content after 85 years, wouldn't you? Up here in Beantown it's Yankees this, Yankees that. They're still obsessed. I thought being a Yankee fan in Boston when they won it would be unbearable, but it's actually been pretty hilarious.

So, since football has a salary cap, wouldn't that mean that the more prestigous teams such as Dallas, San Fran, and Green Bay would be signing the biggest free agents each year? I don't see it working that way. Players go for the cash and the chance to play.

Although if it did work as you describe with any team in American professional sports then the Yanks would certainly be at the top of that list.

195838[/snapback]

I agree with you but all I'm saying is that some people on this board seem to think that the Yankees would be NOTHING with a salary cap. I simply disagree. I don't think that EVERY big name free agent or superstar would play for the Yankees just because. What I'm saying is that ALL things considered the Yankees would still draw big time players.

195838[/snapback]

Don't rain on his parade, EVERYONE wants to be a Yankees. The huge contracts have NOTHING to do with it.

Lets see seeing we are the WORLD CHAMPIONS now and the Spankees had the biggest CHOKE in sports history AND all you queer Spankee fans could ever say was 1918 CRAP and CURSE crap!! We as Red Sox CHAMPION fans cant think of something for the yankees like you !@#$ fans did for our team? Yea makes a ton of sense !@#$!!

I don't think a salary cap would matter in the long run to the Yanks anyway.  There wouldn't be a cap on how much you could spend on scouting and how much went into the minor league system.  They'd just sink all their extra dough there.

195850[/snapback]

Which is why I would like to see an international draft put into place, where teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets and Dodgers cannot go overseas and get these players before anyone else. Put a Hideki Matsui into a world wide draft so a team like Tampa Can draft him #1 overall, put a cap on how much rookies can get paid, and then those teams would get better. Then those teams would probably draw more fans. Then it is up to those teams to keep these players. There is no perfect system. This would help a little.

Please explain to me how that is any different than "1918"?

Oh that's right, you can't.

It sucks when someone has it on you doesn't it?

195853[/snapback]

It dosent bother me. Red Sox are WS Champs. I commend them.

Oh, and what does 1982 mean to you? :D

Lets see seeing we are the WORLD CHAMPIONS now and the Spankees had the biggest CHOKE in sports history AND all you queer Spankee fans could ever say was 1918 CRAP and CURSE crap!! We as Red Sox CHAMPION fans cant think of something for the yankees like you !@#$ fans did for our team? Yea makes a ton of sense !@#$!!

195866[/snapback]

Another proud product of the Ma. public edumication system.... :D

195866[/snapback]

Classy post by a classless Red Sox fan (yes I know there are classless Yankees fans too)

I like this ignore feature. See ya moron!