Jadeveon Clowney - DE - University of South Carolina

Guest BlackBenny

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nerlens Noel who is considered the top NBA prospect just tore his ACL and had insurance. I'd be willing to guess all the top prospects do this.

If you read the linked articles, the premium is about $40K and I believe it breaks some sort of NCAA rules to have someone else pay it for you.

So insurance policies are pretty problematic.

And that's before you get into the so-called benefits.

What about his education? Cant he fall back on that? Or is he taking bogus classes?

if you have a career ending injury....you can still go back to school and get your diploma......but the oppurtunity to cash in at the NFL level is gone or at minimum met with financial disaster. a serious injury could easily knock you out of the first round.

i assume most juniors who come out early (a record 74 underclassmen declared for the 2013) NFL draft , do NOT graduate unless they go back at a later date and finish.

i don't think these kids owe colleges anything....in fact its just the opposite...as colleges are enriching themselves at their expense. i recognize for the majority of scholarshipped players, a college degree is nothing to sneeze at.

heck, there are hundreds of cases, where individual families are stuck with astronomical out of pocket medical costs/bills that aren't covered under the various insurances provided.

all i'm saying is, for many elite TOP athletes, like Clowney who will go Top 5 whether he plays or not......he should lower his risk of injury by electing to sit out the year.....and just prepare for the combine at one of those sports performance centers.

this is more than quite common....not sure why this is even a story

I personally like the 3 year rule - forces players to take education serious, reduces their risk of injury at the NFL level (BIG difference between an 18 year olds body and a 21 year olds body after 3 years of a REAL weight lifting program), and is good for the development of on the field skills of players... I dont see any reason to be against the 3 year rule....could Clowney physically play at the next level this upcoming year? More than likely he would be an immediate impact player....but that doesnt mean EVERY kid his age would...it protects THEM and the integrity of the game and process...

THERE IS A NEW line of ideas coming out regarding CLOWNEY ,one has some merit ,he quits college and signs a one year deal in CFL, by doing that he makes a cpl million + this year ,but more importantly it voids the nfl draft for him, he could pick any team in the league rather than be drafted ,,he would have the same rights as a unrestricted FA. and then sign more what would possibly be double what he would receive even as the top 1-2 pick..now thats leverage that the NFL didnt exspect . all about the benjamins.!

THERE IS A NEW line of ideas coming out regarding CLOWNEY ,one has some merit ,he quits college and signs a one year deal in CFL, by doing that he makes a cpl million + this year ,but more importantly it voids the nfl draft for him, he could pick any team in the league rather than be drafted ,,he would have the same rights as a unrestricted FA. and then sign more what would possibly be double what he would receive even as the top 1-2 pick..now thats leverage that the NFL didnt exspect . all about the benjamins.!

if that loop hole exists, where a college player could go play for the CFL instead of college - which im not sure of the rules regarding that - that loop hole would QUICKLY get shut down after Clowney decided to do that, the NFL is far to rich and powerful to get played like that....and im sure already has something in place to stop that from occurring

If you read the linked articles, the premium is about $40K and I believe it breaks some sort of NCAA rules to have someone else pay it for you.

So insurance policies are pretty problematic.

And that's before you get into the so-called benefits.

To the credit of the NCAA, it has set up a program where a player can get a low-cost loan for the premium and pay it later. Typically, a $5 million policy will cost anywhere from $45,000 to $65,000, Salgado said.

"This insurance program is in place to protect against a career-ending injury, but should not be confused with a 'loss of value' policy, which the NCAA does not offer,

"http://sports.yahoo....-223714245.html

Edited by papazoid

yes and no.

he will play, but the thought of passing on less than a dozen games for a team thats not a championship contender to eliminate the risk of losing millions of dollars..... theres a reason people are discussing it.

Who says the real USC isn't a championship contender?

To the credit of the NCAA, it has set up a program where a player can get a low-cost loan for the premium and pay it later. Typically, a $5 million policy will cost anywhere from $45,000 to $65,000, Salgado said.

"This insurance program is in place to protect against a career-ending injury, but should not be confused with a 'loss of value' policy, which the NCAA does not offer,

"http://sports.yahoo....-223714245.html

I missed that.

Thanks P

When you reach Clowneys level you are playing for more than "love of the game" or your teammates. You are playing to maximize your earnings. This is isn't the good old days where star players sold used cars or hauled lumber in the offseason. This is the age of billion dollar TV deals. Clowney has watched his teammate Lattimore lose millions due to injury, why should he do the same? If he sits, signs with an agent who sets him up with a rigorous workout program ie working against former NFL players, he still gets drafted in the top 5, and significantly reduces his chance for injury. I am in favor of the NFLs 3 year rule for 99.9% of players but some are ready and it is not fair to expect them to expose themselves to injury when they do not need to.

Edited by NDBUFFCUSEFAN

When you reach Clowneys level you are playing for more than "love of the game" or your teammates. You are playing to maximize your earnings. This is isn't the good old days where star players sold used cars or hauled lumber in the offseason. This is the age of billion dollar TV deals. Clowney has watched his teammate Lattimore lose millions due to injury, why should he do the same? If he sits, signs with an agent who sets him up with a rigorous workout program ie working against former NFL players, he still gets drafted in the top 5, and significantly reduces his chance for injury. I am in favor of the NFLs 3 year rule for 99.9% of players but some are ready and it is not fair to expect them to expose themselves to injury when they do not need to.

One possible route for the NFL would be to make available a hardship exemption, allowing some players to appeal to be eligible for the draft.

Just a thought.

One possible route for the NFL would be to make available a hardship exemption, allowing some players to appeal to be eligible for the draft.

Just a thought.

then your getting into some murky water - having a board of people who decide someones possible future or readiness vs someone elses...i dont think thats a viable option

i agree, the system works for 99.9% of the players......therefore it is unlikely to change......

but Clowney still controls his "choice" of whether or not he risks serious injury.....

in all fairness, he could still get injured if he sits out and just prepares at a sports training complex. but at least no one is diving at his knees.

Clowney is a different case study than the other 99.9%, because no matter what he does this year, he can't improve his draft stock.....he can only hurt it. if healthy he goes Top 3.

again, there is no insurance for "loss of value" (serious injury, but eventually you recover, like his teamie Lattimore or willis mcgahee)...the insurance is only for $5 million if you can NEVER play again...and alot of that will be used up with uncovered medical bills. his rookie deal will be around 4years/ $20 million FULLY GUARANTEED......set for life if invested wisely.

it's a no brainer.....sit out.

if that loop hole exists, where a college player could go play for the CFL instead of college - which im not sure of the rules regarding that - that loop hole would QUICKLY get shut down after Clowney decided to do that, the NFL is far to rich and powerful to get played like that....and im sure already has something in place to stop that from occurring

There is NOTHING the NFL can do about it. 3 yrs removed from HS, that the rule. It says nothing about what he does or where he plays for those 3 yrs. As long as CFL rules allow him to play then he can go to Canada for 1 yr, then sign a UFA deal with ANY NFL team.