Seahawks vs Falcons Game Thread

its technically not a penalty, but the refs arent supposed to let him take practices during timeouts and that had a longer than average gap between the whistle and the kick.

like i said, no penalty though so its really not much to get upset about and every team should practice until the refs politely ask them to stop and the nfl changes the rule.

I still think Carroll was trying to have it both ways: first by denying he called the TO, then by covering it with the "practice kick" excuse.

Here's a novel way to prevent kickers from taking a practice kick: don't call the timeout in the first place.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Pete Carroll lost that game. Not going for the easy FG on 4th and 1. Miss managing the clock at the end of the half and not kicking a FG there and calling a TO to ice the kicker never works. It makes them more accurate. It's on him IMHO.

to be fair, they say over the last few years the iced vs not iced rate is about 5% more accurate for not iced. now thats pretty close percentage wise, so it could be fluke (coincidence based on weather, ability of kickers involved, distance, or even more strategically speaking possibly being more likely to ice a harder kick, etc...) but its hard to argue they become more accurate without some more depth to it...

to be fair, they say over the last few years the iced vs not iced rate is about 5% more accurate for not iced. now thats pretty close percentage wise, so it could be fluke (coincidence based on weather, ability of kickers involved, distance, or even more strategically speaking possibly being more likely to ice a harder kick, etc...) but its hard to argue they become more accurate without some more depth to it...

I've read somewhere the kickers like the free kick to be a test kick to gauge wind, leg strength etc. before kicking the real kick.

I've read somewhere the kickers like the free kick to be a test kick to gauge wind, leg strength etc. before kicking the real kick.

could all be true, but i also doubt theyd say they hate it if it really bothered them. in fact, if they liked getting the extra kick (and were smart) they would say how terrible it is getting iced so coaches would do it.

i was just pointing out that the stats bear out that the better call has been to call the timeout, atleast on very superficial level. deeper analysis may show other causation for sure - but i doubt its going to be a drastic swing. maybe.