Pete Carroll discussing Russell Wilson at summer training camp

rcatty

Sirius XM, the NFL station, replayed many of their preseason training camp visits over the holiday. I caught Pete Caroll being interviewed about Russell Wilson. He was asked several questions about why the Seahawks drafted him. Mind you this interview took place some time this summer, well before the season was underway.Talk about being on top of Wilson's attributes. He described this guy to a "t", as if he had a crystal ball, being able to detail how he commands his team, has wonderful leadership capapbilities, and many times took his team down the field as a game closed out. Essentially, he said he had excellent football instincts, and was the kind of guy they wanted. They were sure he was the QB they wanted. But wasn't he "too short" he was asked. No, he stated, he was able to overcome that by being able to find passing lanes. He said he played behind " a huge offensive line " in college, and only had 4 passes batted down all year. He concluded by saying his GM was "all over" Wilson before the draft ! Oh, and by the way, he also stated that he kept pressing for the Marshawn Lynch trade, and he kept bugging his GM on a frequent basis until they got the trade. Oh well, we have Buddy at the wheel making our decisions!

Sadly, I really thought Wilson was our pick when we traded up in the 3rd--instead of TJ Graham!

Confirmed Christmas Eve night Russell thought without a doubt he was going to Buffalo. Yes, this from very tight, close friend of Russell, his high school coach. He and his wife had a great time making sport of me in a very nice way LOL.

Turns out Pete was right. You would of course expect a HC to say really positive things about a draftee he was responsible for ... talking him up so to speak. So, in this case he was right.

I think the Bills ought to take a Seattle approach to finding a good QB: that is to keep trying until you find the right guy ... from matt Hassleback to Charlie Whitehurst to Tavaris Jackson to Russell WIlson.

Keep trying til you find the right QB ... even if it takes 3-5 years ... keep trying ,,, knowing there are good picks in 2nd and 3rd round ...THEN build around around him, from inside out.

Confirmed Christmas Eve night Russell thought without a doubt he was going to Buffalo. Yes, this from very tight, close friend of Russell, his high school coach. He and his wife had a great time making sport of me in a very nice way LOL.

All I remember was being sold on Wilson after the consistent debates on this board--along with other boards-- after the combine. The only knock was his height. :(

When the team selected TJ Graham...I remember walking around my place confused...just like the past 3+ years drafts

I still think the Bills wanted Oswieler instead, but thought he would be there in the 3rd.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

The last time the Bills drafted a QB in the first round was JP Lose-man in 2004, with the 22nd pick. The last one before that was Kelly in 1983, and it was a miracle we got him at #14. Can our coaches find a way to trade up and get a qualtiy QB? We seem to have a pretty good O-line to keep a young guy alive. We need a team leader - go get one!

I think the Bills ought to take a Seattle approach to finding a good QB: that is to keep trying until you find the right guy ... from matt Hassleback to Charlie Whitehurst to Tavaris Jackson to Russell WIlson.

They did have a Hassleback one time, Matts brother Tim. Picked him up as an undrafted free agent in 2001, I don't think he made it to the regular season before being let go.

*EDIT : Found one footnote on one webpage, he was let go before camp started.

Turns out Pete was right. You would of course expect a HC to say really positive things about a draftee he was responsible for ... talking him up so to speak. So, in this case he was right.

Keep trying til you find the right QB ... even if it takes 3-5 years ... keep trying ,,, knowing there are good picks in 2nd and 3rd round ...THEN build around around him, from inside out.

Totally 100% agree...You can's ever stop looking for a Franchise QB until you have one...Unless of course your name is Buddy Nix... B-)