The Race to the Bottom for higher earner.....

tomato can

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-21/american-dream-fades-for-generation-y-professionals.html

Eighteen months and two busted jobs later, the daughter of a retired physician and a former editor at Vogue circled back to upstate New York and hunkered down at a small legal office that pays about one-quarter of her former $165,000 salary.

Middle-income jobs are disappearing for a wide range of young professionals. The number of financial counselors and loan officers ages 25 to 34 has dropped 40 percent since 2007, outpacing the 30 percent drop in total jobs for the profession, according to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“I had a lot of faith in the system, the mythology that if you work really hard you can achieve anything, and the stock market always goes up,” says 2009 law school graduate Elizabeth Hallock, 33. “It was pretty naïve on my part.” Hallock is the named plaintiff in one of 14 lawsuits against some of the nation’s best-known law schools, including her alma mater, the University of San Francisco School of Law. The civil complaints, filed in 2011 and 2012, accuse the institutions of overstating graduates’ job-placement results and incomes.

Law schools are turning out about 45,000 degree holders a year for about 25,000 full-time positions available to them, according to the National Association for Law Placement Inc. in Washington.

Pretty sure these suits against law schools for misrepresenting employment statistics are without merit. Unless you can prove actual fraud, which is unlikely, what's the complaint? Helpless 30 year old Elizabeth Hallock enrolled in law school, read a San Francisco Law School pamphlet and thought she would be rich? Everybody knows if you go to law school right now and it isn't tier 1, you had better finish at least top 3rd of class and come out with some decent experience on the resume hopefully somewhere that can hire...it's no secret. That said, some law schools are churning out too many. And for profit places that don't have a good rep or network and can cost over 10gs a semester and let in hundreds each semester...well...that's life...if you go there then you had better do really well or have something set up when you come out. But I would hardly turn around and sue saying they led me to believe I was somehow going to be placed in a job.

She's identified the problem, she was naive..... Instead of whining about a bump in the road, she way want to think o this experience as an opportunity, a supplementary education if you will....

- when you're making 160k, always have an exit plan to downshift when making 50k- chances are you'll get back to 160k again.

- realize this one, simple concrete fact- nothing it easy in life, especially making money

My wife was kind of in this same spot when we met.... She was about 40k under water on a town home that was killing her with a single income.. We have since turned that town home into a steady cash flower..... Sometimes she still get worked up about unfair, whoa was her, etc..... I told her it was the best financial education you will get about leverage and and how leverage can be a fickle B word... She'll never make such a mistake again...