Thoughts on defense, who is to blame

boyst

The DC is to blame....

his defense is set designed on having great LBs and DTs who are more blocking stuffers than athletes/ The DTs contain the blockers so the LBs are free to make plays.

This has been apparent in dareus' play this season compared to last. He is doing what he is being told which isnt trying to get to the RB/QB and tackle them.

Cardinal rule in the NFL for success---you have to design your plays around the talent you have and their strength--not have them conform to your system,,,,,when drafting/signing players you want them to conform to your system.

They keep Byrd and go out and draft/sign a LB or two and bring in a new DC they will be fine next year.

I like your knowledge. What do you think could be done to change direction besides the obvious - Ralph is cheap, Wanny sucks, defense sucks kind of thing.

It is amazing when you look at Wilson. He is a lot like Rhonde Barber when he plays a Tampa2. Just like Barber, outside of a Tampa2 you expose all of Wilson's weaknesses.

What can be done to change the direction?

First - talent, then coaching. Great coaches can only do so much with limited talent. Great talent makes mediocre coaching look good. You want to win the super Bowl? Fix the talent. Look at Bellick before Brady if you question this logic.

To change things we need a few impact players on defense. I do not think we have any right now but we have a few good ones in Williams, Bryd and maybe Gilmore. Dareus is a maybe, but is stock is falling. Mario is an enigma of sorts, the kind of player not willing to take the role of leader. We have nothing at LB.

--- So if talent is needed first I look at the GM and his scouting staff for the lack of talent.

Coaching is next, again I look at the GM. This GM hired Gailey and he stressed "offensive minded" coaching. That is what we have. Gailey hires a college level coach to be a DC, then a retread in Wanny. Gailey does not coach defense and leaves it all to his DC. Looks at the results. Gailey is a nice guy and a good offensive coordinator. Unfortunately he does not cover all the bases required of a top NFL coach and his game management is poor.

--- So if coaching is second then I look to the GM for hiring the coach and his staff.

I think the whole mess lies with Nix. He has control of the draft, the scouts, the coaching and all football operations. Ralph hired Nix because "he knew him". Nix is a very good scout but he is proving to be not smart enough to control everything, including which players to draft and when. That is Ralph.

Given Ralph's well documented limitations, fears,and inadequacies the best move he can make is ask Nix to "retire" and then promote Whaley.

I am tired of change (we all are) and tired rebuilding every 3 years. We all know that is not the answer. Bringing in Whaley at least provides a thread of continuity that should prevent us from gutting the team, including the good players, while moving forward with a young and bright guy running the show. Whaley should then have the same freedom that Nix had and hopefully his first move is to hire a new head coach.

Edited by Bob in STL

CB- after Gilmore our best CB has been McKelvin, at the very least he can stay within a step of his man, when Williams, Brooks, Rodgers have been in WRs have been so wide open so fast it's almost impossible to put pressure on QBs.- improvement might come from development of young players but

LBs and Safeties - there is a generally lack of speed here- Bills need some 3 down LBs- Wilson and Barnett needs to be seriously evaluated

RDE- Bills have pocket pushers which is good but they could really use that guy who has a wicked first step,who can make OTs wiff, Smash QBs and can make plays on RBs from the backside - and if they don't totally suck when run at, well that's a bonus baby!

first round of Draft in order of preference

1. Damontre Moore DE, Bjoern Werner DE, Dee Milliner CB, Johnthan Banks CB, Manti Te'o LB

I generally think DEs and CBs are more important and harder to find than LBs so unless Manti Te'o is considered a Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis type talent he probably ranks lower in my priorities than most people.

One tip for drafting CBs you might avoid one that 75% of the evaluators think will probably be a better safety

• 3 months later...