The "read option" and the NFL is a copycat league

D521646

Ok, so seeing the success of this years, and Kapernick from last years crop of QB's, the read option is used by all of them with great success. But to me if we pick a Qb in this years draft we need to have a guy with a strong arm, and someone that can run like the wind. We already have CJ, and Fred (if we don't trade him for a draft pick) and to me a lot of teams really have trouble defending this style of offense. Fitz can't run it, but maybe TJackson can? So anyone we get has to have those attributes IMO.

Wanny clearly didn't coach the defense on how to stop the read option against Seattle, but we stopped it last year with Tebow, but that's only because Tebow can't throw worth a damn so defenses don't have to worry about the pass. However, a QB that is mobile, with a strong running back, and can actually throw down field is a asset in this new NFL, IMO, and we should get with the program.

Thoughts?

Tim-

Wanny clearly didn't coach the defense on how to stop the read option against Seattle,

Well, the TV guys said that when they talked to Wanny before the game that Wanny said the key to the game was how well the Bills contained the read option.

So Wanny was obviously very aware of it and I would have to assume tried to prepare the defense for it.

We all saw the result of that preparation.

Well, the TV guys said that when they talked to Wanny before the game that Wanny said the key to the game was how well the Bills contained the read option.

So Wanny was obviously very aware of it and I would have to assume tried to prepare the defense for it.

We all saw the result of that preparation.

Exactly, and that's my point. The Read option IS tough to defend against, EVEN when you're ready for it. Add a Qb with these attributes, another WR, a TE, a tough gritty LB like Burfict, and another corner, and OL and these are our needs going into next year. Not necessarily in that order, but to think we could have had Wilson instead of Graham last year makes me sick to my stomach, even though Chan would have tried to turn him into a pocket passer anyway, it still makes me sick.

Tim-

Ive been trying to get people on board with a zone read option offense led by Tebow since he was kicked out of denver.

Seems to be working well with RG3 and Wilson, and it got a bad Denver team into the playoffs last year.

Before you knock Tebow for having an innacurate arm, a long wind up, and questionable armstrength, I'll remind you that Fitz is just as schitty if not worse than Tebow. (but he can't run).

And no, I'm not saying Tebow is our best option going into next year, Im just saying he is an option (a better one than Fitz) I dont see any guys in the draft this year that could run the zone read.

Edited by peterpan

Personally, I would rather have a pocket passer with a good strong arm and accuracy first. The legs part of it helps, but one day when (1) the league's defenses catch up to the read option, or (2) your QB is getting too beat up, then you're going to need to be able to sit in the pocket and throw the ball well.

Ive been trying to get people on board with a zone read option offense led by Tebow since he was kicked out of denver.

Seems to be working well with RG3 and Wilson, and it got a bad Denver team into the playoffs last year.

Before you knock Tebow for having an innacurate arm, a long wind up, and questionable armstrength, I'll remind you that Fitz is just as schitty if not worse than Tebow. (but he can't run).

And no, I'm not saying Tebow is our best option going into next year, Im just saying he is an option (a better one than Fitz) I dont see any guys in the draft this year that could run the zone read.

I won't crap on an idea like this until Tebow starts to lose games on a consistent basis (he hasn't yet). He's started more playoff games than any Bills QB since Kelly.