Position by Position Analysis of the Bills

Mark Vader

Hey everyone, now that I am officially over last weekend's stomach churning, vomit inducing events, here is my opinion of what the Bills should do with the current players on the roster. Practice Squad not included.

OFFENSE:

Quarterback: Drew Bledsoe, J.P.Losman, Shane Matthews.

Keep them all. No I am not a Bledsoe apologist, but he will still be with the team next year. Will he be the starter? I don't know, and won't know until training camp comes around. My gut feeling is he will be the starter in 05, many of you will be outraged about it, but we will have to take it. Unless Losman proves that he is absolutely ready to take command, Bledsoe will be the starter. As far as Shane Matthews goes, it might be a good idea to keep him around since he knows the playbook and is a veteran.

Running Back: Willis McGahee, Travis Henry, Joe Burns, Shaud Williams, Dante Brown

McGahee proved his value and may only get better. Henry wants out, and will get his wish. Let's hope we get a good pick for him. Burns was more effective on special teams, and may stay because of that. Williams was an even bigger surprise than McGahee, a good change of pace back, could be valuable to us. Brown never saw the field and will be promptly cut.

Fullback: Daimon Shelton

The only true fullback we have on the team proved to be a very good asset on offense. As a blocker he started slowly in the season, but he was very effective as a receiver catching 17 passes. Not bad for a guy who was out of football last season. Definitely a keeper.

Center/Guard: Trey Teague, Ross Tucker, Chris Villarial, Mike Pucillo

Teague played better at Center this year, but this is an area where we can upgrade. Villarial was a very good pickup for us. Tucker is solid, but this may be another spot for us to upgrade. Pucillo should be thankful for still being with the team now, because his time is up. We need better depth if not better starters at these positions.

Tackle: Jonas Jennings, Mike Williams, Lawrence Smith, Marcus Price, Dylan McFarland, Jason Peters

Jennings is the big "?" here. I would keep him, but I do not want to break the bank on him. We also have to wonder if he really wants to stay here. If not we need to address this spot immediately. Williams is playing much better and seems to have legitimized the high pick we used on him. Price & Smith are solid backups, Smith even filled in at Guard a few times. McFarland & Peters are in the developing stages, although Peters has shown his worth on special teams as well.

Tight End: Mark Campbell, Tim Euhus, Ryan Neufeld, Bradford Banta, Rod Trafford

Campbell & Euhus were greatly missed when they were put on IR. Neufeld & Trafford are backups & Banta is a long snapper. Campbell & Euhus are good as the 1 & 2 TE's, let Neufeld & Trafford battle each other for the 3rd spot. I don't see this position as a place we have to upgrade.

Wide Receiver: Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Sam Aiken, Jonathan Smith

Moulds may need to take a paycut, but that is all. He is still the #1 WR and is still an important player for us. Evans exceeded expectations with his speed and big play ability, 9 TD's for a rookie? Oh that makes me feel good. Depth is the concern here. Reed has done nothing to change people's minds about being a receiving threat. I have lobbied for him, but I understand if the Bills choose to cut him. Aiken is another "?", he dropped as many passes as Reed, and did not show any field smarts against Pittsburgh in the Bills last possesion in the first half when he chose to stay in bounds to get more yards, instead of going out of bounds to stop the clock. Jonathan Smith showed some potential as a punt returner and special teamer, as a receiver he got very little playing time. Drafting for depth here may be the best way to go, unless there is a good free agent we can pickup somewhere.

DEFENSE:

Tackle: Sam Adams, Pat Williams, Ron Edwards, Justin Bannan, Tim Anderson

Adams & Williams were a fantastic tandem in the middle, Which is why re-signing Williams is a must. Edwards was a great contributor and could be called on to start. Anderson is developing which makes Bannan the odd man out. Unless that idea of switching Bannan to OG comes through. Drafting for depth here is the way to go.

End: Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Constantin Ritzmann

Our great white ends look good. Schobel earned the contract extension he recieved, while Kelsay is getting better & better. Denney has improved, but is primarily a backup. Ritzmann never really got any time in due to injury, but could be a diamond in the rough, as he displayed in the preseason. Competition for depth would be good.

Linebacker: London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey, Mario Haggan, Angelo Crowell, Josh Stamer

From top to bottom, this might be our most complete unit. Spikes & Fletcher are studs at their positions. Posey gets little credit, but is an effective player. Crowell, Haggan, and Stamer are great backups and excellent special teamers. Training camp fodder need only apply.

Cornerback: Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Kevin Thomas, Jabari Greer

You could have made a case for Clements to go to the Pro Bowl, but all in due time. It would be wise to lock up Clements for a long time before his contract is up at the end of next season. McGee finally got his big chance, when Troy Vincent was injured early in the year, and finally got a chance to start. While he did struggle early on, he picked up the game and has proven that he can be a starter in this game. His kick returning skills are without question. Thomas is still a big contributor as a nickel back, and is great depth. Greer took some rookie lumps and is still a developing project, but should stick around.

Safety: Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent, Rashad Baker, Coy Wire, Pierson Prioleau, Izell Reese

Milloy had an outstanding year, and moving Vincent to free safety was a wise move. Baker got thrown to the wolves and paid the price early on, but did settle in and became a starter a few games, and seems to have future with the team. Wire & Prioleau excelled on special teams mostly, but were also effective on the safety blitz. Reese has almost become a non-factor and should be cut. The coaches have some decisions to make here concerning depth.

Special Teams:

P: Brian Moorman

Thank God we have him for 6 more years. Eventual pro bowler.

K: Rian Lindell

Had a good year inside the 40 yd line, but beyond that he was terrible. The Bills need a new kicker. In spite of the Steelers game, Lindell has been a "?" all year. His kickoffs are unimpressive, and whenever he comes on for a FG, no matter how long or short it is, you just hold your breath. Draft Mike Nugent.

That is it from me. Let's see what the offseason shall bring us. I do like our chances next year. Mike Mularkey has made me a "Billiever."

GO BILLS!!!!!

Fake-Fat Sunny Posted Today, 08:18 PM

Just wantted to say many thanks for a thoughtful analysis without the usual chipper fan stupidity!

LabattBlue Posted Today, 08:15 PM

Nice read Mark. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Your welcome guys. ;)

Hey everyone, now that I am officially over last weekend's stomach churning, vomit inducing events, here is my opinion of what the Bills should do with the current players on the roster. Practice Squad not included.

OFFENSE:

Quarterback: Drew Bledsoe, J.P.Losman, Shane Matthews.

Keep them all. No I am not a Bledsoe apologist, but he will still be with the team next year. Will he be the starter? I don't know, and won't know until training camp comes around. My gut feeling is he will be the starter in 05, many of you will be outraged about it, but we will have to take it. Unless Losman proves that he is absolutely ready to take command, Bledsoe will be the starter. As far as Shane Matthews goes, it might be a good idea to keep him around since he knows the playbook and is a veteran.

Running Back: Willis McGahee, Travis Henry, Joe Burns, Shaud Williams, Dante Brown

McGahee proved his value and may only get better. Henry wants out, and will get his wish. Let's hope we get a good pick for him. Burns was more effective on special teams, and may stay because of that. Williams was an even bigger surprise than McGahee, a good change of pace back, could be valuable to us. Brown never saw the field and will be promptly cut.

Fullback: Daimon Shelton

The only true fullback we have on the team proved to be a very good asset on offense. As a blocker he started slowly in the season, but he was very effective as a receiver catching 17 passes. Not bad for a guy who was out of football last season. Definitely a keeper.

Center/Guard: Trey Teague, Ross Tucker, Chris Villarial, Mike Pucillo

Teague played better at Center this year, but this is an area where we can upgrade. Villarial was a very good pickup for us. Tucker is solid, but this may be another spot for us to upgrade. Pucillo should be thankful for still being with the team now, because his time is up. We need better depth if not better starters at these positions.

Tackle: Jonas Jennings, Mike Williams, Lawrence Smith, Marcus Price, Dylan McFarland, Jason Peters

Jennings is the big "?" here. I would keep him, but I do not want to break the bank on him. We also have to wonder if he really wants to stay here. If not we need to address this spot immediately. Williams is playing much better and seems to have legitimized the high pick we used on him. Price & Smith are solid backups, Smith even filled in at Guard a few times. McFarland & Peters are in the developing stages, although Peters has shown his worth on special teams as well.

Tight End: Mark Campbell, Tim Euhus, Ryan Neufeld, Bradford Banta, Rod Trafford

Campbell & Euhus were greatly missed when they were put on IR. Neufeld & Trafford are backups & Banta is a long snapper. Campbell & Euhus are good as the 1 & 2 TE's, let Neufeld & Trafford battle each other for the 3rd spot. I don't see this position as a place we have to upgrade.

Wide Receiver: Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Sam Aiken, Jonathan Smith

Moulds may need to take a paycut, but that is all. He is still the #1 WR and is still an important player for us. Evans exceeded expectations with his speed and big play ability, 9 TD's for a rookie? Oh that makes me feel good. Depth is the concern here. Reed has done nothing to change people's minds about being a receiving threat. I have lobbied for him, but I understand if the Bills choose to cut him. Aiken is another "?", he dropped as many passes as Reed, and did not show any field smarts against Pittsburgh in the Bills last possesion in the first half when he chose to stay in bounds to get more yards, instead of going out of bounds to stop the clock. Jonathan Smith showed some potential as a punt returner and special teamer, as a receiver he got very little playing time. Drafting for depth here may be the best way to go, unless there is a good free agent we can pickup somewhere.

DEFENSE:

Tackle: Sam Adams, Pat Williams, Ron Edwards, Justin Bannan, Tim Anderson

Adams & Williams were a fantastic tandem in the middle, Which is why re-signing Williams is a must. Edwards was a great contributor and could be called on to start. Anderson is developing which makes Bannan the odd man out. Unless that idea of switching Bannan to OG comes through. Drafting for depth here is the way to go.

End: Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Constantin Ritzmann

Our great white ends look good. Schobel earned the contract extension he recieved, while Kelsay is getting better & better. Denney has improved, but is primarily a backup. Ritzmann never really got any time in due to injury, but could be a diamond in the rough, as he displayed in the preseason. Competition for depth would be good.

Linebacker: London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey, Mario Haggan, Angelo Crowell, Josh Stamer

From top to bottom, this might be our most complete unit. Spikes & Fletcher are studs at their positions. Posey gets little credit, but is an effective player. Crowell, Haggan, and Stamer are great backups and excellent special teamers. Training camp fodder need only apply.

Cornerback: Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Kevin Thomas, Jabari Greer

You could have made a case for Clements to go to the Pro Bowl, but all in due time. It would be wise to lock up Clements for a long  time before his contract is up at the end of next season. McGee finally got his big chance, when Troy Vincent was injured early in the year, and finally got a chance to start. While he did struggle early on, he picked up the game and has proven that he can be a starter in this game. His kick returning skills are without question. Thomas is still a big contributor as a nickel back, and is great depth. Greer took some rookie lumps and is still a developing project, but should stick around.

Safety: Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent, Rashad Baker, Coy Wire, Pierson Prioleau, Izell Reese

Milloy had an outstanding year, and moving Vincent to free safety was a wise move. Baker got thrown to the wolves and paid the price early on, but did settle in and became a starter a few games, and seems to have future with the team. Wire & Prioleau excelled on special teams mostly, but were also effective on the safety blitz. Reese has almost become a non-factor and should be cut. The coaches have some decisions to make here concerning depth.

Special Teams:

P: Brian Moorman

Thank God we have him for 6 more years. Eventual pro bowler.

K: Rian Lindell

Had a good year inside the 40 yd line, but beyond that he was terrible. The Bills need a new kicker. In spite of the Steelers game, Lindell has been a "?" all year. His kickoffs are unimpressive, and whenever he comes on for a FG, no matter how long or short it is, you just hold your breath. Draft Mike Nugent.

That is it from me. Let's see what the offseason shall bring us. I do like our chances next year. Mike Mularkey has made me a "Billiever."

GO BILLS!!!!!

193352[/snapback]

Mark, great analysis but maybe have a few places were I disagree. On QB not sure Shane is the guy I want around thinking maybe a younger backup that could eventually take over the number 2 job when Drew is gone and may be able to help JP develop.

On the TE front my only concern is how well Euhus and Campbell will recover from the ACL tears and will they be factors next year? Do ya go the route of a veteran who still can block and catch but at the pinnacle of career?

On the Linebackers agree on most points and if we lose Big Pat we could shift to the 3 - 4 which I think suits Posey better. If ya went to the 3-4 ya have to get another LB on the roster.

On free saftey I would like to see this as a draft priority along with RG and Center. Voncent may be answer for a short period I just worry that the step he has lost isnt just due to injury and will be back but seems like he is best guy at the position right now.

Thanx for a great analysis and post.

Excellent!

I hope TD reads it.

I don't think drafting Nugent in the 2nd (where we would have to draft him) is as improbable as some think. The case is strong that if you are trying to win a championship you do it with a kicker who can win you the Super Bowl. Imagine if we had had Christie 2 years earlier. What would NE's SB record be without Vinatieri. I think TD knows this & will either draft Nugent or has already scouted a later round kicker to replace Lindell. I'd be shocked if Lindell is our kicker next season.