guitar question

1billsnut

Hey guys, looking for a little advice....I started playing guitar a couple of years ago and have gotten pretty good at just playing chords and picking out some popular songs, but i want to learn how to be able to play my own stuff.

I would like to be able to make up some cool blues riffs or just other cool sounding stuff to jam to with buddies. My question is.....what advice would you give??? looking for info on youtube (i have tried this a little bit), online courses, private lessons, or....?

I know that there have to be some guitar players out there, so any advice is welcome. Thanks

surefire way to improve - play music with other musicians, especially guitarists that are way better than you. They can teach you stuff, and will challenge you to play better.

Also, I have to say listening to older blues musicians helped me out greatly. The other big thing is know your limitations. For example, I know that I will never be able to shred like Malmsteen, but I might be able to play some Warren Haynes if I practice enough. You must, MUST, MUST set realistic goals.

i don't have any advice but an observation: like any other learning process, there are plateaus and steep or gradual rises. i plateaued about a year ago and just kinda put it down for a while. lately, it's been hard to pick it up again and i've actually regressed from not playing. not sure what the answer is. i still enjoy it when i pick it up but quickly get bored by playing the same old songs that i've mastered to a reasonable level. and i hate sounding like crap learning new techniques. i think maybe the suggestion to play with folks who know way more than me and are much better is the way out.

Hey guys, looking for a little advice....I started playing guitar a couple of years ago and have gotten pretty good at just playing chords and picking out some popular songs, but i want to learn how to be able to play my own stuff.

I would like to be able to make up some cool blues riffs or just other cool sounding stuff to jam to with buddies. My question is.....what advice would you give??? looking for info on youtube (i have tried this a little bit), online courses, private lessons, or....?

I know that there have to be some guitar players out there, so any advice is welcome. Thanks

Learn to play John Coltrane.

Just start playing with friends. It's going to be awkward and sound awful for a few months. Power through the frustration. That leap to playing with people will improve your playing tenfold. But yeah, the first few times you jam....it's probably going to be unpleasant. Think it took me 3-4 months before i started to feel even the tiniest bit comfortable. Once you pound out a few covers, and start to get a sense of how a song moves through a group of people, writing your own stuff gets relatively easy.