(OT) Downloading Music via newsgroups

stevestojan

I just did a full format of my machine at home due to spyware, etc .. . Anyway, I still want to DL music, but refuse to get Kazaa (or even Kazaa Lite) or any similar program. I know I could go buy the CD, so you PC types, !@#$ off. Im not paying $15 to get a CD with one song Im gonna listen to.

Anyway, I heard alot about newsgroups.

Questions:

What is the best (free) newsgroup reader?

What forums do i need to go to?

How do i search for songs?

How difficult is the DLing process?

How fast/slow is the DL (generally)?

Thanks!

I cant tell you anything about newsgroups, but i would recommend highly Shareaza and Bittorrent, also Overnet is very good, none of those programs are spyware farms. Plus there are still some websites you can go to for music like http://www.simplemp3s.com/

For spyware protection, install Ad-Aware and Spybot search and destroy (i would also recommend a major anti-virus program and a pop up blocker, i use the Google Toolbar). You can download these free from www.download.com. This set up works great for me, i am spyware free. Just dont be silly enough to let some of these sites trick you into clicking 'yes' to install xyz software or install some search bar or other piece of crap spyware remover that actually is spyware itself and you will be fine.

This is a great site to get you started:

Slyck

PM me if you have any questions.

14290[/snapback]

P.S. Use Xnews for your newsreader, it's freeware...

definitely stay away from Outlook Express.

As far as speed, I have Verizon DSL & can average over 10-12 gigs a day

in movies & music if I queue stuff over 24 hrs.

"What I want I take

What I don't I break"

Song: Problem Child

Album: Back in Black

Band: AC/DC

That would be a great download....

14286[/snapback]

Very funny... Actually, I do own about 300 CDs (ya know, the ones where you go to the store and buy them). But thinking of spening $15 on a CD of a newer band, or one Im not a huge fan of, for the one song i hear on the radio is tough.

If do use iTunes from time to time, but they just dont have some of the music i want.

And don't worry SDS, my mother isnt crying herself to sleep. I actually made her a burned CD of some of her favorite songs last time i was home... But of course, your son will never do something so vile...

:unsure: