The Patriot Way

Hater

It's not just the last decade that this holds true but throughout the history of the game. At least with most of the dynasty teams.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a bit of a "chicken and egg" issue with the historical perspective. On game day, the QB generally gets too much blame when a team loses, and too much credit when a team wins. So if his TEAM wins several championships, there is a tendency to look back at a QB and put him on a pedestal.

Sometimes the QB deserves the credit he gets, but sometimes it's just a media-caused distortion. I suspect the same sort of thing holds true for coaches.

In short, does a winning QB/coach combo get praised because there was some synergy at work between them, or does a winning QB/coach combo automatically get praised just because they won? And if you won the 1st championship with a so-so QB/coach combo because of the other talent on the team, you know that QB/coach combo ain't gonna get fired right away. They may get another chance at a ring.

Not saying I'm certain of this, but sometimes it makes me wonder.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some coaching staffs have the ability to take average/mediocre talent and make them play like all-pros...some coaching staffs have the ability to make all-pro talent play like average/mediocre players. We have shown in the last decade that we have not put a coaching staff into place that can utilize our talent..average/mediocre/all-pro or otherwise.

I am NOT by any means a Patriots fan, but there has to be something to say about that. I am not saying that Buddy is the greatest GM in the world..but given the talent that Chan (and staff) has had had this year they have overly underachieved.

Good stuff.

BTW, is there a difference between overly underachieving and underly overachieving?

In a Crayola crayon set, Blue Green and Green Blue are different.