A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I like the spread in short yardage situations, but I understand why they use it when they keep at least keep CJ or Freddie in the backfield. It simply creates more seams and space to run.

The problem lately is that most teams simply man-up on our receivers and still load the box. That means that Fitz has got to be on the money with those short throws in those situations and he is inaccurate enought that teams do not fear his short passing game.

You have heard Chan say time and again that he spread it out trying to get the other teams to take guys out of the box, but it is not working - we all know why.

If teams are not going to move out of the box, Chan needs to simply find a balance and keep a fullback and Spiller in the backfield and use a two receiver set. You have Corey and CJ able to pick up pass rushers to give Fitz more time to take advantage of the man coverage, or you can use the extra blocking FB to try to create a seam or allow Spiller to gain the edge outside.

Until we have a more accurate QB (I do not question Fitz's heart), that is the defense we will see and we will not see safeties dropping out of the run box to protect against the pass.

It wasn't one of their better performancess, but times have changed. Not too long ago, this would have been considered a superior outing. From what I could see, Hairston had rough time. He had his hands full with Wake. Wood and Levitre played well, and it's a pleasure to watch Glenn develop. It really is. Again (and I'm not sue why), it's hard for me to see the RGs on television when they aren't pulling. and trust me, I try.

As I pointed out, Wood might have saved the game by pouncing on Jones' fumble. This indicates all out effort. Remember, all too recently our OL lacked talent AND effort. And, they were playing without Pears, who is a very good run blocker. This partially would explain Spiller getting much of his yardage on his own.

The offensive line on the Buffalo Bills is something that no longer is a concern to me, providing we keep Levitre, and of course stay healthy. I never thought I would be able to type those words.

I'm glad that our standards for the OL have improved to the point where a day which once would have been considered superior is now a mild disappointment. :)

Had Pears been healthy, do you think he would have done a better job against Wake than the one Hairston did?

I'm glad that our standards for the OL have improved to the point where a day which once would have been considered superior is now a mild disappointment. :)

Had Pears been healthy, do you think he would have done a better job against Wake than the one Hairston did?

I always considered Pears better against the run than Hairston, giving Hairston an edge wrt pass protection. Hairston is far more agile, and this is why is does fairly well on the left side. That said, Wake is a good player. He has 37 sacks since 2009, with 9.5 coming this season alone. Obviously, he is hard to stop.

In all, Hairston would seem more suited to play against Wake. What one would have hoped for from Pears is that he perhaps could have punished him physically on some running downs and taken some wind out of his sails. But remember, I am more fond of Pears than most posters seem to be.

http://nyjetscap.com...Pears, Erik.php

This is what I found wrt his contract. IF he can get healthy, I have zero problems with the deal.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Ditto!! I couldn't believe he came away with that ball and managed to land in-bounds! A pick, a fumble recovery and on Mckelvin' PR-TD, he gets knocked down, gets up and gets THE key block to spring McKelvin by pushing his man OOB. He has an incredible noe-sign Levitre se for the ball.

He is the heir apparent to Ed Reed & Troy P (Pitt) as the games best safety. He MUST be a re-signing priority for Buddy. Knowing Buddy's mantra about keeping the good guys you have, I am sure they will do whatever it takes to keep him in Bflo.

They will re-sign Levitre and then franchise Byrd. Franchise value for Safety is only 5M while a OL is ~10M.

I always considered Pears better against the run than Hairston, giving Hairston an edge wrt pass protection. Hairston is far more agile, and this is why is does fairly well on the left side. That said, Wake is a good player. He has 37 sacks since 2009, with 9.5 coming this season alone. Obviously, he is hard to stop.

In all, Hairston would seem more suited to play against Wake. What one would have hoped for from Pears is that he perhaps could have punished him physically on some running downs and taken some wind out of his sails. But remember, I am more fond of Pears than most posters seem to be.

http://nyjetscap.com...Pears, Erik.php

This is what I found wrt his contract. IF he can get healthy, I have zero problems with the deal.

I agree that Pears' contract seems fair, in light of what he provides to the team. I also agree that Cameron Wake is ridiculously good at getting to the QB. Even so, I wish Hairston had had a better day. Maybe when they face each other again he'll do better.

They will re-sign Levitre and then franchise Byrd. Franchise value for Safety is only 5M while a OL is ~10M.

Don't be surprised if Byrd sits out if they try that. He knows he's been well under compensated by his rookie contract relative to his performance, and he'll be looking for a long term deal to compensate him for it.