Wanny [not well received in old jobs]

PS 56

So I decided to do a little reading on our great defensive coordinator, Dave Wannstedt. What was the buzz on him Pre-Bills? I came across an interesting article on him pre-Bills (when he was at Pitt). This is from "Coaches hotseat.com...

"Getting back to Dave Wannstedt, we have had the opportunity to watch him close-up in several different situations going back to his days as a NFL head coach, but especially in a few games since he has been at Pitt. It is our opinion that for whatever reason Wannstedt does not have the full respect of his players and coaches, and that lack of respect is directly impacting the ability of Pitt football to fully realize its potential."

The article goes on to discus other things in detail. Could this be his issue with the Bills?

The article comments a lot on the fact that he was mentored by Jimmy Johnson, but does not seem to have taken his lessons to heart.

"...but we would guess that Johnson would put a lot more emphasis on holding his assistants accountable for preparation and coaching their players and he would focus on making Pitt a lot stronger and more physical football team. Too many times in the last three years at Pitt under Wannstedt, we have watched other teams push around the Pitt offensive and defensive lines, and that would just not be acceptable to a Jimmy Johnson coached team. The other thing that Johnson focused on, and all the great football coaches have put an emphasis on, was preparing his teams mentally to play each and every game with an emphasis on being at the just the right pitch of attitude and emotion relative to the importance of the game. Yes, there is a difference between Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wannstedt, and those differences add up to a big difference in the win and loss column".

Bottom line... what we are seeing is not to be unexpected. Wannstedt is not who we need at defense..

Link to article: http://www.coacheshotseat.com/DaveWannstedt.htm

Edited by Beerball

So I decided to do a little reading on our great defensive coordinator, Dave Wannstedt. What was the buzz on him Pre-Bills? I came across an interesting article on him pre-Bills (when he was at Pitt). This is from "Coaches hotseat.com...

"Getting back to Dave Wannstedt, we have had the opportunity to watch him close-up in several different situations going back to his days as a NFL head coach, but especially in a few games since he has been at Pitt. It is our opinion that for whatever reason Wannstedt does not have the full respect of his players and coaches, and that lack of respect is directly impacting the ability of Pitt football to fully realize its potential."

The article goes on to discus other things in detail. Could this be his issue with the Bills?

The article comments a lot on the fact that he was mentored by Jimmy Johnson, but does not seem to have taken his lessons to heart.

"...but we would guess that Johnson would put a lot more emphasis on holding his assistants accountable for preparation and coaching their players and he would focus on making Pitt a lot stronger and more physical football team. Too many times in the last three years at Pitt under Wannstedt, we have watched other teams push around the Pitt offensive and defensive lines, and that would just not be acceptable to a Jimmy Johnson coached team. The other thing that Johnson focused on, and all the great football coaches have put an emphasis on, was preparing his teams mentally to play each and every game with an emphasis on being at the just the right pitch of attitude and emotion relative to the importance of the game. Yes, there is a difference between Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wannstedt, and those differences add up to a big difference in the win and loss column".

Bottom line... what we are seeing is not to be unexpected. Wannstedt is not who we need at defense..

Certainly not out of the realm of possibility. You know the players quitting on the coach thing. Problem with that theory is it started game 1. I still think Wannabe had more say in last years D then simply collecting a paycheck.

The situation with him in Buffalo is terminal. Too bad no one on the staff above him doesn't realize this.

Edited by Best Player Available

In a recent article in SI about the painkiller epidemic in the NFL, former Jets/Dolphins QB Ray Lucas says he blames no person for his condition/career/injuries/misfortune...EXCEPT...Dave Wannstedt. I dont have the hard copy of the magazine in front of me, but Lucas says if he were ever to come across him in the streets there would be a problem.

I heard Marv Levy today on the John DiTullio show 1280AM and he said the main reason for the Bills problems is constant turnover and that Fitz is the guy. This seems fair enough given that there really are only a few players left from his time here as GM but the Fitz is the man opinion just hurts to hear. This will be an off season full of pain. Either through growing pains with a new coaching staff or the pain of watching Chan and Buddy state the company line that, "We have seen them (Fitz, Wanny, fill in the name) be successful in the past and we know they can do it because they have...." Sorry, but that just makes me want to gag. Hopefully they get at least a new D coordinator and a QB.