Fitz numbers from Sunday per PFF

cmjoyce113

Oh. My. God.

Ok, Fitz's play on the field has nothing to do whether or not someone on our roster is better. Got it. I guess we pick QBs based on Wonderlic scores. You realize he's been "struggling" for the past 5 years, correct?

When I hear a statement like that one I know it's time to move on.

freakpop is either Fitz or Fitz's mom. They both throw like girls.

Fitz will look good on Sunday and then stink it up the next 2 Sundays after the bye. That's how he rolls.....

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. My. God.

Ok, Fitz's play on the field has nothing to do whether or not someone on our roster is better. Got it. I guess we pick QBs based on Wonderlic scores. You realize he's been "struggling" for the past 5 years, correct?

When I hear a statement like that one I know it's time to move on.

Actually, I don't know that. Fitz throws 2 brilliant passes for every 3 blunders. His game is not an ongoing abortion, and having been a fan of a team that has since cycled through the likes of Losman and Edwards, you should know this.

Meanwhile, we've devoted about as many resources to a QB solution as a team can without using a draft pick (save for Levi Brown). Instead, we've made improvements in just about every other aspect of the game and ARE CURRENTLY TIED FOR FIRST IN THE DIVISION.

As I've said before, many times now, I fully expect them to draft AT LEAST one quarterback next year.

For the time being, he's all we've got, and I don't begrudge the FO for appeasing the hind-sighted demands of a fanbase that blames a quarterback for surrendering100 points in two games.

you're obviously not following: i'm not saying it's OK - I'm stating the obvious: Graham dropped a ball and HE let the offense down, followed by a poor pass by Fitz on the following play, where that missed pass let the offense down as well - Hence, it's a TEAM GAME. Thus, when we win, it's not just b/c of Fitz and when we lose it's not just because of Fitz. But around here, the latter part of that statement is simply forgotten. I don't see you getting blue in the face over Graham's dropped ball or Freddy's fumble on the first play of the game.

Well, my friend, this is a thread about Pickspatrick, so I thought it prudent to comment on him. But here ya go: Graham is a rookie and therefore has not given me a string of disappointing performances (yet). Was I pissed at the dropped ball? Absolutely. Freddie has been stellar for this team and was our MVP before getting hurt last season. Was I pissed he fumbled? Absolutely. However I am an intelligent enough man to understand people make mistakes.

What I am also smart enough to realize is that Pickspatrick, who plays the most important position on the team, has been consistently inconsistent, makes numerous mistakes time and time again and is not really a very good QB. In fact, Picks seems to agree with me more than you:

http://profootballta...ted-the-season/

If Pickspatrick himself says he hasn't played well, then why do people keep insisting he's not a major problem?

Edited by Marauder24

Well, my friend, this is a thread about Pickspatrick, so I thought it prudent to comment on him. But here ya go: Graham is a rookie and therefore has not given me a string of disappointing performances (yet). Was I pissed at the dropped ball? Absolutely. Freddie has been stellar for this team and was our MVP before getting hurt last season. Was I pissed he fumbled? Absolutely. However I am an intelligent enough man to understand people make mistakes.

What I am also smart enough to realize is that Pickspatrick, who plays the most important position on the team, has been consistently inconsistent, makes numerous mistakes time and time again and is not really a very good QB. In fact, Picks seems to agree with me more than you:

http://profootballta...ted-the-season/

If Pickspatrick himself says he hasn't played well, then why do people keep insisting he's not a major problem?

WHO'S INSISTING THIS!?

Actually, I don't know that. Fitz throws 2 brilliant passes for every 3 blunders. His game is not an ongoing abortion, and having been a fan of a team that has since cycled through the likes of Losman and Edwards, you should know this.

Meanwhile, we've devoted about as many resources to a QB solution as a team can without using a draft pick (save for Levi Brown). Instead, we've made improvements in just about every other aspect of the game and ARE CURRENTLY TIED FOR FIRST IN THE DIVISION.

As I've said before, many times now, I fully expect them to draft AT LEAST one quarterback next year.

For the time being, he's all we've got, and I don't begrudge the FO for appeasing the hind-sighted demands of a fanbase that blames a quarterback for surrendering100 points in two games.

The point is.. that the only meaningful way to acquire a good QB is to draft one, or to trade top draft picks for one.

All of the "resources" that the bills have devoted (aka a few million dollars and a couple 7th round draft picks) have been meaningless. Yes they probably will draft a QB this year with their first round pick.. but that doesn't excuse the fact that they should have drafted one last year and the year before.

The point is.. that the only meaningful way to acquire a good QB is to draft one, or to trade top draft picks for one.

All of the "resources" that the bills have devoted (aka a few million dollars and a couple 7th round draft picks) have been meaningless. Yes they probably will draft a QB this year with their first round pick.. but that doesn't excuse the fact that they should have drafted one last year and the year before.

And the coulda woulda shoulda baloney is JUST THAT.

I have yet to read a single post that doesn't acknowledge Fitz's shortcomings. You're creating a boogie man to argue with!

Yep you are right, let's hammer the QB for winningthe game. Only Bills fans. Fitz beat a 4-1 team with a decent defense on the road, didn't turn the ball over, managed the team to a win despite his coach doing everything in his power to lose the game, and all you want to do is rag on him because he wasn't perfect and had some 3 and outs, or his ypc was low. OMFG what's next?

So now the guy wins a game and he doesn't even get credit for that! Wow!

All any detractors could say was his w-l record is horrible, now he wins and gets zero credit, OMFG what's next? He was the QB on the winning team right?

And that is my point, Fitz is also just on the team when the defense collapses and loses the game. People want to criticize him for his terrible W-L record yet completely overlook the fact that this "team" has been very bad. I'm saying when he plays well yet the defense ***** the bed he is saddled with the loss and everyone points to his terrible record but whe the "team" wins a game it is viewed as a "team" and Fitz gets no credit.

Can't have it both ways.

Here's a start, but none of the above posts acknowledge Fitz's shortcomings. They seem to support him as our starting QB.

Cut Fitz immediatly--L@LZ

This is the third year of Gailey's offense, and you guys haven't yet grasped the concept of getting the ball to players in space? It's not about picking up chunks of yardage through the air--IT NEVER HAS BEEN.

Gailey designs his plays to get receivers/backs the ball in their hands with lots of room to run.

Showing that the majority of Fitz's yards come AC shows success in Gailey's system...

Oh, who am I kidding? Nevermind. Go back to thinking that Nix should have farted out an elite, *franchise* quarterback the moment Kelly retired. Lordy.

Here's another one. Boogidy Man.

I have yet to read a single post that doesn't acknowledge Fitz's shortcomings. You're creating a boogie man to argue with!

Edited by Marauder24

Here's a start, but none of the above posts acknowledge Fitz's shortcomings. They seem to support him as our starting QB.

When I read those posts, I don't interpret them as going that far. They are pointing out that there seems to be a double-standard - Fitz gets trashed when the team loses 'cuz he didn't win us the game, even if he played well enough to get us a lead and other areas of the team stunk the bed, and Fitz gets trashed when we win 'cuz he didn't play better. We vilify Fitz for his INTs but seem to be giving WR and RB who fumble a free pass ("they played great!") even if those turnovers hurt us badly.

I think that's a valid point. There seems to almost be a lynch mob mentality about Fitz, painting him as the "worst QB in the league" "anyone would be better". Pointing out that it 'taint so folks, there are a bunch of historically better QB who are struggling right now, and a bunch of QB in the league who are either worse right now, or historically no better, should not be taken as wholesale endorsement of Fitz or excusing his faults. Saying Fitz played "well enough to get as a lead" does not excuse mistakes and shortcomings, it's just a fact, we had a lead and his passes and other play contributed to getting said lead.

I'm not sure what you mean by "support him as our starting QB". I support him in the sense that I don't see what cutting or benching Fitz to make a point would accomplish for my team at this point in the season. I see no evidence that Thigpen would be better, and while I like TJax and think he can be a good QB, I have to assume that if our coaches thought he could play he'd be dressing and challenging Thiggy for #2. So even though Fitz appears to be regressing from last year, he appears to be the best option we have AT PRESENT I'm not sure what the "cut him bench him" crowd thinks would happen. That's not the same as endorsing him as the future of the franchise, or as a quality NFL QB. While I had hopes he would improve on last year's completion percentage with a few more completions a game and less INTs (perhaps the most important change needed), he is currently on track for an unacceptable 21 picks this season and a lower completion percentage.

We needed IMO to make a serious play for a better-quality backup/developmental QB last year, and we needed IMO to draft a serious QB prospect next year even if Fitz were playing well. Having him play badly makes it essential, but make no mistake: even if TJax were starting and playing well, it would still be needed because TJax is not the answer, unless "who is a reasonable midpack starter with Fitzpatrick-like career numbers?" is the question.

I would like to think there's a sane middle ground where one can acknowledge the above without needing to parade around the group with tar and pitchforks painting Fitz as the worst thing ever. He's not - mrags had it right, it's very much like Whitner. We wanted him to be better, but he is what he is.

My perception, or possibly my misperception, is that any poster who actually watches a lot of football and understands what non-elite prime time QBs actually look like (good some passes, misses on others) and who refuses to absolutely vilify Fitz and assert that he sucks worse than any QB who ever played the game and any QB who might in the future play the game and OMG he must be cut right now because PFF or Walter Football or whomever says he's the worst!, gets painted as "refusing to acknowledge his shortcomings".

'Taint so Joe.

Edited by Hopeful

When I read those posts, I don't interpret them as going that far. They are pointing out that there seems to be a double-standard - Fitz gets trashed when the team loses 'cuz he didn't win us the game, even if he played well enough to get us a lead and other areas of the team stunk the bed, and Fitz gets trashed when we win 'cuz he didn't play better. We vilify Fitz for his INTs but seem to be giving WR and RB who fumble a free pass ("they played great!") even if those turnovers hurt us badly.

I think that's a valid point. There seems to almost be a lynch mob mentality about Fitz, painting him as the "worst QB in the league" "anyone would be better". Pointing out that it 'taint so folks, there are a bunch of historically better QB who are struggling right now, and a bunch of QB in the league who are either worse right now, or historically no better, should not be taken as wholesale endorsement of Fitz or excusing his faults. Saying Fitz played "well enough to get as a lead" does not excuse mistakes and shortcomings, it's just a fact, we had a lead and his passes and other play contributed to getting said lead.

I'm not sure what you mean by "support him as our starting QB". I support him in the sense that I don't see what cutting or benching Fitz to make a point would accomplish for my team at this point in the season. I see no evidence that Thigpen would be better, and while I like TJax and think he can be a good QB, I have to assume that if our coaches thought he could play he'd be dressing and challenging Thiggy for #2. So even though Fitz appears to be regressing from last year, he appears to be the best option we have AT PRESENT I'm not sure what the "cut him bench him" crowd thinks would happen. That's not the same as endorsing him as the future of the franchise, or as a quality NFL QB. While I had hopes he would improve on last year's completion percentage with a few more completions a game and less INTs (perhaps the most important change needed), he is currently on track for an unacceptable 21 picks this season and a lower completion percentage.

We needed IMO to make a serious play for a better-quality backup/developmental QB last year, and we needed IMO to draft a serious QB prospect next year even if Fitz were playing well. Having him play badly makes it essential, but make no mistake: even if TJax were starting and playing well, it would still be needed because TJax is not the answer, unless "who is a reasonable midpack starter with Fitzpatrick-like career numbers?" is the question.

I would like to think there's a sane middle ground where one can acknowledge the above without needing to parade around the group with tar and pitchforks painting Fitz as the worst thing ever. He's not - mrags had it right, it's very much like Whitner. We wanted him to be better, but he is what he is.

My perception, or possibly my misperception, is that any poster who actually watches a lot of football and understands what non-elite prime time QBs actually look like (good some passes, misses on others) and who refuses to absolutely vilify Fitz and assert that he sucks worse than any QB who ever played the game and any QB who might in the future play the game and OMG he must be cut right now because PFF or Walter Football or whomever says he's the worst!, gets painted as "refusing to acknowledge his shortcomings".

'Taint so Joe.

What he said. :beer:

'Taint so Joe.

perfectly stated. :thumbsup:

'Taint so Joe.

I don't read Walter Football and Fitz himself said he has been inconsistent, PFF just reported it. I also understand what these guys are saying about the so called double standard. However, if you look at my post history, I have never thought Fitz is the answer at QB. I get that he's a better option than Thigpen, I'm not convinced he's better than Jackson. I think that Jackson probably could not be worse.

Maybe "supporters of Fitz" was a misleading phrase. I support Fitz because he is the QB of the Bills and I want them to win. However, i am sick and tired of the band aid solutions at the most important position in the game. I am sick and tired of people trying to convince me Fitz is a good QB. He's not. He's never been. He never will be.

We have not seen the playoffs this century. There are many more things wrong with this team than the QB, but it's amazing what a good QB (see Manning, Peyton) can do for a team in this league. I just wish we had the opportunity to find out.

Oh, catch me, I'm fainting. You caught me in a gotcha moment, alright. Because I didn't say as much in THAT PARTICULAR POST, I must not believe Fitz has any shortcomings. Mods, delete my account, I don't deserve to live.

Just refuting your statement. If that's a problem, don't say anything to begin with.

I don't read Walter Football and Fitz himself said he has been inconsistent, PFF just reported it. I also understand what these guys are saying about the so called double standard. However, if you look at my post history, I have never thought Fitz is the answer at QB. I get that he's a better option than Thigpen, I'm not convinced he's better than Jackson. I think that Jackson probably could not be worse.

Maybe "supporters of Fitz" was a misleading phrase. I support Fitz because he is the QB of the Bills and I want them to win. However, i am sick and tired of the band aid solutions at the most important position in the game. I am sick and tired of people trying to convince me Fitz is a good QB. He's not. He's never been. He never will be.

We have not seen the playoffs this century. There are many more things wrong with this team than the QB, but it's amazing what a good QB (see Manning, Peyton) can do for a team in this league. I just wish we had the opportunity to find out.

Just refuting your statement. If that's a problem, don't say anything to begin with.

I hear ya, and i'm in agreement that the Bills #1 priority this off season should be upgrading the QB position. But right now and for the rest of this year they do not have a better option than Fitz. The Bills need to upgrade the position and going to Thigpen or TJax is not an upgrade as much is it is a lateral move, so really, what is the point. I believe TJax would have people equally as frustrated as Fitz. Would TJax or Thigpen have the Bills at 4-2 or 5-1 right now? No way, so the best option at winning is playing Fitz.

Cut Fitz immediatly--L@LZ

This is the third year of Gailey's offense, and you guys haven't yet grasped the concept of getting the ball to players in space? It's not about picking up chunks of yardage through the air--IT NEVER HAS BEEN.

Gailey designs his plays to get receivers/backs the ball in their hands with lots of room to run.

Showing that the majority of Fitz's yards come AC shows success in Gailey's system...

Oh, who am I kidding? Nevermind. Go back to thinking that Nix should have farted out an elite, *franchise* quarterback the moment Kelly retired. Lordy.

Thank you.