How realistic is it for the Bills to have drafted a starting QB in the

BisonMan

You are assuming a talent that emerged under a different organization would have emerged here. A valid question is seems is how many more blue chipper careers could have been wrecked by being drafted by this mess.

You never know if you dont try

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very good post and you make a good point, but you are wrong about Dalton. I think he's better than adequate and could have been had with our second round pick in 2011, without trading up.

There's no question that it's difficult to find a franchise QB, but the point is that the Bills have not even tried for the past two years, despite having an inadequate starter. It's a cop-out to say none have been available. I'm not in favor of drafting a 1st round QB just out of need. A team that has serious needs at QB needs to draft one somewhere in the draft every year until they find the guy. There was absolutely no excuse not to take a chance this year on Russell Wilson, Foles, or Cousins. Or Dalton last year. Not saying any of them is the Franchise, but you have to take that chance. Now we will go into the 2013 draft in desperation mode and will probably reach or overpay for the wrong guy. Guaranteed.

Totally agree about Dalton...The OP is all but assuming Dalton is going to be average...The comment about Dalton's Passer rating being about the same as Fitz cracked me up...Does the OP understand Dalton was a Rookie in 2011, and his Passer rating is 92.9 this Season? Dalton has HUGE upside...I'd take him in a half-a-heartbeat...He's competitive, smart, and a winner (42-7 at TCU)...He's a gamer...It was a terrible miss by Nix Drafting Aaron Williams ahead of Dalton...That's the kind of Pick that has killed this Franchise for 10 years now...

I know most Folks are going to assume Foles production in pre-season was all due to Andy Reed's Offense...And that still may be true...But I thought he was a pretty decent Prospect...In fact, it's interesting because the Foles Scouting reports I read reminded me a lot of Tom Brady's when he came out...And no I'm not saying Foles is the next Brady...I'm just saying...The Bills could have easily taken a flyer on Foles in the 3rd and Drafted TJ Graham in the 4th...I really don't care what anyone says...Graham was not going any sooner...I like Foles a lot more than Russell Wilson...5-10 5/8 is still 5-10 5/8, no matter how good Wilson looks at times... B-)

Great post. Thank you.

I was doing OK, until one of the replies mentioned Luck.

Does the mere mention of Luck going to Indy make anyone else's blood boil?

i personally think, that Indy would have made it to the playoffs even without Manning had Luck not been there for the taking. I believe they threw the season to get Luck, and it really irritates me. A team that's as bad as the Bills have been, loses out to friggin' Indy when a great QB is at stake.

Edited by BILLS_ROC

Totally agree about Dalton...The OP is all but assuming Dalton is going to be average...The comment about Dalton's Passer rating being about the same as Fitz cracked me up...Does the OP understand Dalton was a Rookie in 2011, and his Passer rating is 92.9 this Season? Dalton has HUGE upside...I'd take him in a half-a-heartbeat...He's competitive, smart, and a winner (42-7 at TCU)...He's a gamer...It was a terrible miss by Nix Drafting Aaron Williams ahead of Dalton...That's the kind of Pick that has killed this Franchise for 10 years now...

First, let me say that I like Dalton and liked that pick for Cincy. I think I would have like it for Buffalo as well but...I wrote that Dalton is an adequate starter to this point in his career. I have no idea what the future will bring for him. It is very easy to take a season for a young QB and extrapolate a "great" or "crappy" career. I think a single season is not a great gauge. Take this one:

56.7% completions, 1-to-1 TD/INT ratio. 6.5 YPA vs. 57.7% completions, 1-to-1 TD/INT Ratio and 6.7 YPA

They look almost the same but those were the rookie years of Peyton Manning and Brian Griese. I don't think Dalton is likely to be either one of them in his career but focusing on a single year or 5 games this year doesn't mean anything. Through 5 games last year what was Fitz's Rating?

Basically, when you look at the QBs drafted in the last bunch of years we either know they were bad picks (21 of them identified), were mediocre starters or haven't had a chance to prove themselves in the league yet. Only 1 that I can see, Flacco, is an emerging franchise starter that the Bills missed in the draft with their pick.

First, let me say that I like Dalton and liked that pick for Cincy. I think I would have like it for Buffalo as well but...I wrote that Dalton is an adequate starter to this point in his career. I have no idea what the future will bring for him. It is very easy to take a season for a young QB and extrapolate a "great" or "crappy" career. I think a single season is not a great gauge. Take this one:

56.7% completions, 1-to-1 TD/INT ratio. 6.5 YPA vs. 57.7% completions, 1-to-1 TD/INT Ratio and 6.7 YPA

They look almost the same but those were the rookie years of Peyton Manning and Brian Griese. I don't think Dalton is likely to be either one of them in his career but focusing on a single year or 5 games this year doesn't mean anything. Through 5 games last year what was Fitz's Rating?

Basically, when you look at the QBs drafted in the last bunch of years we either know they were bad picks (21 of them identified), were mediocre starters or haven't had a chance to prove themselves in the league yet. Only 1 that I can see, Flacco, is an emerging franchise starter that the Bills missed in the draft with their pick.

This should help me a bit...Point blank...Dalton or Fitz? Who do you like? B-)

Great breakdown. The moral of the story is that the bills are never bad enough to get the Lucks or RGIIIs.

Agreed. Great original post. The great QBs were all taken very very early in the drafts, with a few very notable exceptions (Brady, etc.) You have to lose out big time in a year where a great one is coming out. Poor Bills. They deserved some Luck, but ended up winning a bunch of games and being "out of Luck". Can't trade up, as the franchise needs draft choices just to fill the roster.

As I wrote, I would have like the Dalton pick for the Bills and still would. He wouldn't have the playmakers or defense around him that he does in Cincy but I still like him better. BTW, my hindsight is 20/20!

Truthful admissions: I like the Trent Edwards pick too at the time. I hated the Losman pick at the time. I hated the Bledsoe trade at the time. I liked sticking with Fitz this year given the draft prospects available. I prefered Rob Johnson to Flutie at the time. So, basically, my judgement is as valuable as flipping a coin on these things. :bag:

Edited by BisonMan

As I wrote, I would have like the Dalton pick for the Bills and still would. He wouldn't have the playmakers or defense around him that he does in Cincy but I still like him better. BTW, my hindsight is 20/20!

Truthful admissions: I like the Trent Edwards pick too at the time. I hated the Losman pick at the time. I hated the Bledsoe trade at the time. I liked sticking with Fitz this year given the draft prospects available. I prefered Rob Johnson to Flutie at the time. So, basically, my judgement is as valuable as flipping a coin on these things. :bag:

Cool! :thumbsup:

at this point i'd take dalton.....

fitz has zero upside....average qb (current rank #18) who throws a horrible deep ball.

dalton has huge upside.....above average qb (current rank #12) who throws a great deep ball.