Tethering and/or mobile hot spot

I've been with Tmobile for about a decade. Have no real problem with them. UNTIL

All cell phone companies are making their $$$ from the data plans. Requiring data plans on nice phones. Etc. You guys all know their tricks.

Their latest trick is charging for turning your phone into a wifi device. I honestly thought it would be cheap. $5 bucks. But they want $15 bucks for their service. A service that they dont deserve. They are not really earning this $15 bucks. The manufacturer made the phone a wifi device.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Also is there any way around this?

I dont get free tethering as I am grandfathered in to unlimited data. So if you DON'T have unlimited data, free tethering. I'm not saying anything about SVTP wiFi hotspot app. Nope nothing at all :)

Yeah, that's why I said NEW Verizon plans. :)

Although I was surprised that I don't use as much data as I thought I would -- only around 400-500M/month. I don't stream much, so that's probably why - 20 minutes of Netflix is around 100M, so that would add up quickly if I used it. :)

I'm on vzw and use an app WiFi tether...works like a charm..and its free

I actually have the feature free on my phone. They gave it to me as some promotion. My wife's line doesnt have it free. When I got home my little one had a fever. I didnt explore this app last night.

I will try your app suggestion.

I'm sure the internet will have other suggestions. But we are smarter than the internet.

Yeah I'd be surprises if they don't. You will get charged for the data usage of course.

Tmobile does with a catch....

I have unlimited (5gig 4g then slows after that) So I have the feature for free. I pay $35

My wife has a 2gig data plan then slows after that. I pay $20

She uses less than a gig per month. They told me they could do one of the two

a) increase her data plan to 5 gig and they would add the feature for free. $15 cost

B) add the tethering feature and keep the data plan at 2 gig. $15 cost

She doesnt use the internet to justify the increase. By the way $70 bucks just for internet. Screw that!!

This needs to be put on an all time greatest TBD quote board somewhere.

Yeah you're right.

Calling Just Jack???

Free app "FoxFi" turns your phone in to a hot spot. Found it on Amazon.

See this is what I'm talking about. I'll let you guys know just how strong Tmobile's fireballs are.

This is the solution thread.

I tried a bunch of apps on the android market to bypass the tethering fee of $15/month. Fox, wifi, easy tether, etc.

Tmobile would block all of them.

I found one that eventually worked. I used the connection to start this topic.

Con: Must be wired. Usb from phone to pc/mac

Pro: Avoid paying $15 to tmobile MONTHLY

Con: Free version only allows unsecured websites. Like this one. Tbd.

Pro: One time $15 fee for access to all websites.

Its called pdanet

Its pretty easy. You install it on your computer. Then you install the software on your phone.

Hope this helps someone.

Ps. Even this process was blocked by Tmobile. However, the icon on the computer (not on the phone) has a setting that when clicked, I was able to get through (HIDE TETHER USAGE)

This is the solution thread.

I tried a bunch of apps on the android market to bypass the tethering fee of $15/month. Fox, wifi, easy tether, etc.

Tmobile would block all of them.

I found one that eventually worked. I used the connection to start this topic.

Con: Must be wired. Usb from phone to pc/mac

Pro: Avoid paying $15 to tmobile MONTHLY

Con: Free version only allows unsecured websites. Like this one. Tbd.

Pro: One time $15 fee for access to all websites.

Its called pdanet

I've used PDANet before, defintely worth the price.

How does Tmobile have it blocked? do they not allow you to download the app from Google Play? or does the app not work once installed on your phone? If you're blocked from downloading from Google Play, just go the foxfi.com/bin on your phone to download frorm there.

I started with this app first. Tmobile blocked it. That didnt work.

I will check more apps.

I dont get free tethering as I am grandfathered in to unlimited data. So if you DON'T have unlimited data, free tethering. I'm not saying anything about SVTP wiFi hotspot app. Nope nothing at all :)

Ha ha. I tried a lot of apps yesterday. I didnt try this one.

I will see if it works tonight. I would prefer tethering without usb, so I'll let you know.

Ps. Some phones do not work with all apps.

The phone in question is the tmobile g2x

Serious question : why in the world do you use Tmobile?

I get good reception. Their phones are ok.

Or would you prefer Metro Piece of Crap Service.

How does Tmobile have it blocked? do they not allow you to download the app from Google Play? or does the app not work once installed on your phone? If you're blocked from downloading from Google Play, just go the foxfi.com/bin on your phone to download frorm there.

Instead of showing the webiste you type in the address bar, it redirects to a tmobile webpage advising you to get their tethering/hot spot service. So maybe blocking was the wrong word.... The internet on the laptop is on. Fully functional. But for the same dumb tmobile webpage.